Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

Was it 2005 Murphy won it @ 100/1?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

BBC only show the UK, World's and Masters nowadays, ITV 4 have the Champion of Champions and a couple of other tournaments as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Delighted for Mr Bingham, a class act. Snooker doesn't get enough coverage. The standard of play this year has been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Bingham had probably captured the imagination of most fans throughout the final. He played some fine Snooker and he deserves to be World Champion imho.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes, they show pretty much everything but its poor coverage. No content added whatsoever. No studio team or anything. I believe in some cases, the eurosport commentators are not even at the event, they simply talk over the tv feed.

They had a set up in Berlin this year, but there's very little need when there's very fast turnaround/minor tournaments over a weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Couldn't think of a nicer player to win it,all that hard graft the last 3-4 seasons he has come on leaps and bounds as a player,he plays in so many events too the extended calendar has obviously reaped rewards,if someone said to me he'd win a world title 4 years ago Id have leg ought they were insane ,great achievement delighted for him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

paulie21 wrote: »
    BBC only show the UK, World's and Masters nowadays, ITV 4 have the Champion of Champions and a couple of other tournaments as well

Welsh Open via the red button only on BBC too.

Great final and what a fantastic couple of weeks of snooker. First time in a while I've been able to watch most of it and the standard was just outstanding from so many players.
    Great to see someone like Bingham win it, no complaining from him about too many tournaments. :P Not a Murphy fan at all usually but he played some outstanding stuff at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Next ranking Event in Australia late June.
    3 of the last 4 winners semi finalists of world championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Was delighted to see Bingham playing so well & achieving his dream after so many years of hard slog.

Out of curiosity does anyone know or have an inkling what Steve Davis, John Parrott & Hazel Irvine might have meant by saying that ''nice guys CAN win''. By this I mean were their remarks more or less referring to one particular previous winner, or were they merely so delighted for Stuart Bingham & the fact that he's such a nice guy that their remarks were tongue in cheek?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Delighted for Stuart. I wonder what were the odd on him winning before the tournament?
    You can't beat an underdog story. It's great to see Ronnie/Selby and all the usual suspects playing in the final but the Ball-Run story this year gave us something different and was very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'd forgotten what a good sport snooker is for TV. That was gripping last night and it has me off looking to see when the next snooker will be on TV - great entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Glenman wrote: »
    Delighted for Stuart. I wonder what were the odd on him winning before the tournament?
    100/1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

So Happy for Bingham, for so many years a fringe player that never looked like reaching the top of the tree but now look...an inspiration to other lower ranked players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Was delighted to see Bingham playing so well & achieving his dream after so many years of hard slog.

Out of curiosity does anyone know or have an inkling what Steve Davis, John Parrott & Hazel Irvine might have meant by saying that ''nice guys CAN win''. By this I mean were their remarks more or less referring to one particular previous winner, or were they merely so delighted for Stuart Bingham & the fact that he's such a nice guy that their remarks were tongue in cheek?

I'd say it's just a play on words of the saying "nice guys finish last". I doubt there was any malice intended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with Jimmy White that he seems to be the only person in the auditorium not standing? (I am/was a huge JW fan btw)
    Is he thinking I'm JW, and I don't need to stand up? I hope not.

:rolleyes:

Jimmy sat down cause he saw his face in the big screen was just above Stuart Bingham's during the post match presentation and he didn't want to take any attention away from Stuart...there was no disrespect intended Jimmy isn't that type of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

So Mark Allen claimed that Stuart had no bottle. I think that Allen is the one lacking the bottle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

So Mark Allen claimed that Stuart had no bottle. I think that Allen is the one lacking the bottle!

Mark Allen needs to let his cue do the talking. talks a lot of crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

100/1

50/1

Allen will never win a World title. I think he lacks the game and the mental side to go with it.

• Advertisement

I have heard that Hendry is considering picking up a cue again and he will try to qualify for next year's WCs. Announcement will be made later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

GeneralC wrote: »
    I have heard that Hendry is considering picking up a cue again and he will try to qualify for next year's WCs. Announcement will be made later in the year.

Bingham is evidence of how players can improve dramatically through playing more competitive snooker (one of the benefits of the new tour format). I think they said he'd played every tour event this season and had played more frames than any other player.

Hendry is presumably not going to want to slog around a load of minor tour events, I just can't see him showing up cold for the WC qualifying and winning 3 19 frame matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

GeneralC wrote: »

Would be interesting to see but I think he would struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

mickdw wrote:
    Would be interesting to see but I think he would struggle.

Ken Doherty and Steve Davis had good runs in recent years, so it isn't out of the question for him to reach the quarters. I think he needs to play a few tour events first to regain his competitive edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

great final that was, thorougly enjoyed ever bit of it, i was rooting for Bingham cause it was his first chance at the world championship title and worked hard to get there, Shawn Murphy i have massive respect for though, a great player and gracious runner up, i d say he will get his chance again for a second world title.

in fairness i do think BBC do great with the coverage, it is an awful lot of hours to air a sport over 17 days. i might actually go up to my local snooker hall now and have a few games and beat my highest break of 28 haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

robbie02 wrote: »
    great final that was, thorougly enjoyed ever bit of it, i was rooting for Bingham cause it was his first chance at the world championship title and worked hard to get there, Shawn Murphy i have massive respect for though, a great player and gracious runner up, i d say he will get his chance again for a second world title.

in fairness i do think BBC do great with the coverage, it is an awful lot of hours to air a sport over 17 days. i might actually go up to my local snooker hall now and have a few games and beat my highest break of 28 haha :)

The BBC coverage has gone to pot in recent years. Very little live snooker shown on main channels. A few years back, you had a number of feeds on the red button. I believe there is only one feed now.
    Great coverage of semis onwards though.

Similarly, their formula 1 coverage is a joke nowadays too.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

mickdw wrote: »
    The BBC coverage has gone to pot in recent years. Very little live snooker shown on main channels. A few years back, you had a number of feeds on the red button. I believe there is only one feed now.
    Great coverage of semis onwards though.

Similarly, their formula 1 coverage is a joke nowadays too.

I suppose your right. Not meaning to be verring off the subject; but what I would really like to see is the Goffs snooker tournament brought back. whatever happened to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

BBC coverage is great when it's actually on tv, unfortunately that isn't often enough.

It wouldn't cost much to be able to have two red button feeds like they used to. You should be able to see every shot of every match on the red button.

The 7pm to 8pm in the evening is ridiculous when they are stopping coverage of live quarter and semi finals to show a load of chef crap or similar.

They have no problem clearing the schedule when Wimbledon rolls around, they have non stop coverage every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

mdwexford wrote:
    They have no problem clearing the schedule when Wimbledon rolls around, they have non stop coverage every day.

Its to do with popularity, having snooker on for large portions of the day will not suit the majority of BBC viewers whereas tennis is a more popular event. They cover most of the tournament on the red button which is FTA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

robbie02 wrote: »
    I suppose your right. Not meaning to be verring off the subject; but what I would really like to see is the Goffs snooker tournament brought back. whatever happened to it?

It was the benson and hedges Irish Masters, then the tobacco sponsorship was banned. It was then sponsored by the dept of health, and moved to the Citywest hotel.

Advertisement