Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iran

Options
  • 20-04-2015 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

I see the Iranians have purchased a weapon defence system from the Russians and now the Israeli's are up in arms about it. Just seen a clip of Nethanyahu condemning this sale and coming out with alot of war rhetoric.

But what I find funny is that the Israeli's keep on going on about the right to defend themselves but yet when the Iranians want to do the same there up in arms over it!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I see the Iranians have purchased a weapon defence system from the Russians

There is a caveat in that, though a deal is likely, Iran hasn't yet signed the dotted line (they are expensive @approx $160m per battery).
    now the Israeli's are up in arms about it.

Well they would.
    The S-300 poses a much bigger challenge than the likes of the BUK missile systems used in Syria, that Israel can counter easily.

If the S-300 works as intended (a big 'if') I don't think Israel has a counter measure.

Iran has been equally rhetorical about Israel's attempts at creating a working ABM shield.
    But what I find funny is that the Israeli's keep on going on about the right to defend themselves but yet when the Iranians want to do the same there up in arms over it!!

His outrage is in the context of all arms embargoes against Iran being lifted with no quid-pro-quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I see the Iranians have purchased a weapon defence system from the Russians and now the Israeli's are up in arms about it. Just seen a clip of Nethanyahu condemning this sale and coming out with alot of war rhetoric.

It basically means that Israel can't bomb the Iranians without a cost now and that's why Nethanyahu is jumping up and down. They are probably doing it because the relations between Iran and the US are thawing which is bad news for them.

At least this way Nethanyahu can pander to the Right Wing Republicans in the US and give them another stick to beat the peace discussions with Iran and try to derail the whole process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Nethanyahu has an issue with everything Iran and the US do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07rETBLslrk

Jon Stewart has a funny piece on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

entirely predictable that this would happen at some stage considering the trajectory of the situation in Ukraine. even though Israel was one of the few countries not to publicly condemn Russia for their actions in Ukraine. and I dont think its a coincidence it happened in and around the same time US paratroopers have or will be arriving in Ukraine to train their troops. Israel was going to be dragged into this sooner or later. the sale isnt aimed toward Israel its aimed at the US. not just for Ukraine but for Syria too. Putin warned the Americans he would go down this road if they continued on their course in Ukraine. this is the first step and it wont end here. now the Israelis are threatening to send arms to Ukraine in response to the Russians lifting the sale embargo to Iran. and the Russians have said do that and we will ship the S300 to Assad aswell. if either Israel or the west arm Ukraine then Russia will not only arm Iran with this system but Syria too. and it will be a potential game changer in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DavidRamsay99

The Iranians are freaking lunatics and I don't want them to have nuclear arms.
    If they get them the Saudis and the rest of the lunatics in the region will want them too.
    Do we want a world where backward savages with their heads still stuck in the 7th century have their hands on nukes?

The reason the USA and USSR never went to war is because of Mutually Assured Destruction. Neither side were suicidal and though they played the brinkmanship game from time to time they did not want to vaporize each other.

Both Shia Iran and Sunni Saudi Arab are run by hyper religious crackpots who would wipe each other out.

Once they have nukes it will be too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

WakeUp wrote: »
    entirely predictable that this would happen at some stage considering the trajectory of the situation in Ukraine. even though Israel was one of the few countries not to publicly condemn Russia for their actions in Ukraine. and I dont think its a coincidence it happened in and around the same time US paratroopers have or will be arriving in Ukraine to train their troops. Israel was going to be dragged into this sooner or later. the sale isnt aimed toward Israel its aimed at the US. not just for Ukraine but for Syria too. Putin warned the Americans he would go down this road if they continued on their course in Ukraine. this is the first step and it wont end here. now the Israelis are threatening to send arms to Ukraine in response to the Russians lifting the sale embargo to Iran. and the Russians have said do that and we will ship the S300 to Assad aswell. if either Israel or the west arm Ukraine then Russia will not only arm Iran with this system but Syria too. and it will be a potential game changer in the region.

You have miss read this .
    The only reason Russia is selling the SS300 system has nothing to do with Ukraine or Russia 's actions in Ukraine,
    Iran has been on the list to get the S300 missles for 3/4 years at least .
    Any how this is aimed at the Arab coalition currently bombing Iranian sponsored groups in Yemen .
    Here 's the kicker this may piss off the Israelis to a degree ,
    But Iran hasnt taken a delivery of any S300's and seem how well versed the Israeli special forces are at finding and stopping weapons shipments around the globe I'd wouldn't be at all suprised if they ended up been put on display in tel aviv at some stage.
    With the added bonus of an Israeli /Saudi group working on an Iran solution pretty soon

WakeUp wrote: »
    Putin warned the Americans he would go down this road if they continued on their course in Ukraine.

I'm as disgusted by the US army's invasion & annexation of east Ukraine as the next man, but Iran has been an arms customer of the new/old soviet empire for a long time.

The lifting of embargo's just opens up the market for bigger & better kit.

And rouble-for-rouble, the S300 is probably the best value long range SAM out there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

This action might play well to Putin's domestic population. There still is a large residue of mistrust left over from the previous Cold War and this move could be seen as undermining the US global positioning. Albeit Russia arming a Muslim power all things considered a tad ironic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

The Iranians are freaking lunatics and I don't want them to have nuclear arms. If they get them the Saudis and the rest of the lunatics in the region will want them too. Do we want a world where backward savages with their heads still stuck in the 7th century have their hands on nukes?

Who have the Iranians ever bombed?
    Which Country is the only to ever use a Nuke? Not the savages stuck in the 7th century

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The Iranians are freaking lunatics and I don't want them to have nuclear arms. If they get them the Saudis and the rest of the lunatics in the region will want them too.

So you're calling for a nuclear free middle east? How about we start with the one rogue nuclear state in the region i.e. Israel?

Regardless, Israel isn't really concerned with Iran's non-existent nukes - what Israel is concerned with is Iran's development as a regional power that challenges Israel's theatre dominance.

• Advertisement

what Israel is concerned with is Iran's development as a regional power that challenges Israel's theatre dominance.

Israel doesn't dominate the ME to begin with.
    Her concerns are more parochial.

Which of these countries does Israel dominate?
    Turkey, Cyprus, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Yemen, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, United Arab Emirates

Israel doesn't dominate the ME....

Theatre dominance militarily. Israel is the only nuclear weapon possessing state in the region and has the most powerful military in the region. Israel has carried out air-strikes against sites in Iraq and Syria knowing it's unlikely to face reprisals due to its military capability and the US's support.

So you're calling for a nuclear free middle east? How about we start with the one rogue nuclear state in the region i.e. Israel?

Israel is a rogue nuclear state .

Who have they threaten to wipe off the face of the earth repeatedly.

Have they ever threatened any other state with nuclear weapons? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Israel doesn't dominate the ME to begin with.
    Her concerns are more parochial.

Which of these countries does Israel dominate?

The poster you quoted referred to 'theatre dominance', it's military term meaning that Israel has the most powerful and effective military in the region. It does not mean that Israel controls the day to day running of other states.

Other than the scud missiles fired by Iraq during the Gulf War in 1991 no other state in the region has attacked Israel since the Yom Kippur War in 1973.

Gatling wrote: »
    You have miss read this .
    The only reason Russia is selling the SS300 system has nothing to do with Ukraine or Russia 's actions in Ukraine,
    Iran has been on the list to get the S300 missles for 3/4 years at least .
    Any how this is aimed at the Arab coalition currently bombing Iranian sponsored groups in Yemen .
    Here 's the kicker this may piss off the Israelis to a degree ,
    But Iran hasnt taken a delivery of any S300's and seem how well versed the Israeli special forces are at finding and stopping weapons shipments around the globe I'd wouldn't be at all suprised if they ended up been put on display in tel aviv at some stage.
    With the added bonus of an Israeli /Saudi group working on an Iran solution pretty soon

Nah I havent misread it at all this was predictable was only a matter of time before it happened. and if Ukraine is armed it wont be just Iran getting this system so too will the Syrians. it isnt aimed at the Arab coalition bombing Yemen though it will affect them, so far the Russians have been pretty much non committal as to which side they are supporting. the conflict in Yemen is being viewed as a Saudi/Iranian proxy battle though its incorrect to believe Russia has vested interests in supporting the Iranian proxies. whatever leverage Moscow had over Yemen pretty much faded away after the country unified. this potential sale is bigger than Yemen. Israel will attack a Russian arms shipment to Iran? :D eh no they wont. as for the Israelis and Saudis coming up with a solution by this I assume you mean an attack on Iran? I dont think so. do that and they will be at war with not only Iran but also Russia and China. if the Iranians are smart and I think they might be, with Russian acquiescent, they will have already sent people to Russia under the radar to train on the S300 and get up to speed. so as that when the delivery happens, boom out of the box so to speak and ready to go. high level diplomats from both countries have met over the past number of months. it wouldnt surprise me at all if indeed this has happened. would have been the smart thing to do assuming the Russians were down with it and the sale has already been agreed and delivery date put in place for certain.
    I'm as disgusted by the US army's invasion & annexation of east Ukraine as the next man, but Iran has been an arms customer of the new/old soviet empire for a long time.

The lifting of embargo's just opens up the market for bigger & better kit.

And rouble-for-rouble, the S300 is probably the best value long range SAM out there.

yes bojack no one is disputing what the Russians did in Ukraine and I certainly havent. though the Americans are involved there too for their own reasons. and whether you or I agree with or not Putin did warn the Americans he would go down this road. and now he has. if and when the Russians deliver this system to Iran and perhaps Syria it will fundamentally change US/Israeli war plans in the region. it will affect the entire middle east and shake up alliances. its a power projection for the Russians and thats exactly what the Iranians will be buying. though if you believe its just a case of opening up the markets to bigger and better kit then fair enough thats up to you.

Israel is a rogue nuclear state.

Well it developed nukes and is not a signatory to the NPT. Israel has also been accused of helping apartheid South Africa develop nukes.

Not that old chestnut.
    Have they ever threatened any other state with nuclear weapons?

You don't need to threaten other states when you have nukes - just having them is threat enough especially when there is no mutually assured destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

They haven't threatened, but have done so. I dont see Palestine anywhere on the atlas.

Well it developed nukes and is not a signatory to the NPT. Israel has also been accused of helping apartheid South Africa develop nukes.

Not that old chestnut.

You don't need to threaten other states when you have nukes - just having them is threat enough especially when there is no mutually assured destruction.

So the old adage if it's good enough for one its good enough for the other .
    So what would have happened if Iraq and Syria had nukes that ended up in Isis hands .

Then Israel would have to step in and well nuke Iran Iraq and Syria .

Imagine the Domince they would have

Any how back on the the issue Iran .

As things currently stand it looks like there planning a putinesque Job in Iraq at the moment pushing for complete control outside of Baghdad.
    There heavily backed militias aren't making a lot of progress against Isis .
    To the point there asking Iraq to stop American airsupport because "they don't need it" and because it's supposed slowing them down .
    Almost every city and town outside of Baghdad is decorated with Ali Khamenei building sized images ala saddam.
    It's almost like Ukraine 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DavidRamsay99

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Who have the Iranians ever bombed?

Let's take a chance?
    Which Country is the only to ever use a Nuke? Not the savages stuck in the 7th century

Nagasaki and Hiroshima were bombed because the Japanese refused to surrender and the alternative was an invasion of the Japanese islands which would have resulted in millions more dead.

If you think Iran will not use nukes if they get their hands one you are out of your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think Israel is ****ting it financial. If Iran makes peace with the US. Its basically peace in the Middle, bar ISIS and the Syrian Civil war. But if Iran enters the 21st Century and becomes a more normal country. Plus there is a huge push within Europe to put an end to the Palestine-Israeli Issue. If Palestine becomes a legit country, which I think is actually years away for once.

I think you can see Israel very nervous, as the endless US money might become tight. Plus all the special Israel US deals on trade/Emigration might be scaled back. When few countries have a favourable opinion about your country and its goods, your economy is extremely fragile.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Neutral on this discussion, so looking at it from a cyber operations perspective which had impacted the nuclear side of things(paraphrasing books such as Inside Cyber Warefare by Carr and Countdown to Zero day by Zetter) via Stuxnet, both Israel and other Middle-East countries such as Iran have nearly all engaged in some some of IT attacks over the past decade. Thankfully these do not yet replicate kinetic weapons (as per the Tallinn Doctrine), there is a low-level of warfare constantly on-going between those countries albeit not usually reported by the press.

.Any how this is aimed at the Arab coalition currently bombing Iranian sponsored groups in Yemen .

just on the Yemen issue again as it ties in with Iran just came across this. its been reported then denied. suppose time will tell if its accurate or not. so much going on at the moment there really is.
    US Navy Sends Aircraft Carrier, Warships To Intercept Iranian Weapons Shipments In Yemeni Waters

Update: Because the report from AP does not play well with "Everyday Americans", US CentCom is denying:

*U.S. DENIES REPORT SHIP SENT TO INTERCEPT IRAN VESSEL
    *U.S. SAYS SHIP SENT TO KEEP SHIPPING LANES IN REGION OPEN

The 'proxy' war is escalating very rapidly. As AP reports, Navy officials confirm that the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt is headed to Yemeni waters to intercept an Iranian weapons shipments. Just as we warned 10 days ago, the probability of a major escalation over the latest proxy Middle Eastern civil war escalated substantially when Iran parked two warships off the Yemeni coast.

As AP details,

U.S. Navy officials say the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt is steaming toward the waters off Yemen and will join other American ships prepared to intercept any Iranian vessels carrying weapons to the Houthi (HOO'-thee) rebels fighting in Yemen.

The U.S. Navy has been beefing up its presence in the Gulf of Aden and the southern Arabian Sea amid reports that a convoy of Iranian ships may be headed toward Yemen to arm the Houthis.

The Houthis are battling government-backed fighters in an effort to take control of the country.

There are about nine U.S. ships in the region, including cruisers and destroyers carrying teams that can board and search other vessels.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the ship movement on the record.

As the following Naval update map shows, the two Iran warships will now be located in the immediate vicinity of not only two US aircraft carriers, CVN-71 Teddy Roosevelt and CVN-70 Vinson, but well as the big-deck amphibious warship Iwo Jima which as reported before is providing marine support should the situation demand it.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-04-20/navy-confirms-us-warship-intercepts-iranian-weapons-shipments-yemeni-waters?page=1

Naval-Update-150415.jpg

And rightly so .

An Aircraft carrier and 8 warships should keep things under wraps and prevent any weapon shipments getting to terror groups hands .
    Now makes me wonder though if they can stop any other shipments or will they leave that to another nation

you know if this is true and its looking like it is this is a really potentially dangerous situation it isnt good. I think the Saudis are already blockading Yemini ports. moving a carrier out of the Persian gulf and into the Gulf of Aden is a peculiar and significant move in so much as so far the States have let the Saudis take the lead. according to the military times these ships are prepared to intercept the Iranian ships and have been tracking them since last week..
    The Roosevelt is also tracking a convoy of Iranian ships headed to the Gulf of Aden, said a Defense official speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the Iranian vessels. The Iranians have been supporting Houthi rebels in Yemen.

The Pentagon has been tracking the progress of the Iranian ships since last week, the official said.

The Navy is prepared to intercept the ships, according to a second Defense Department official who was not authorized to speak publicly.

Moving the Roosevelt is viewed by the Pentagon as significant but not necessarily a prelude to conflict.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2015/04/20/us-warship-sent-to-block-iran-weapons-off-yemen/26082847/
    American warships are prepared to intercept a convoy of Iranian ships suspected of carrying weapons to Houthi rebel forces in Yemen, senior defense and military officials told NBC News on Monday.

An Iranian convoy of freighters, escorted by warships from the Iranian military and Revolutionary Guard forces, appears headed for Yemen, the officials said.

They emphasized that while the USS Theodore Roosevelt carrier group would be in position to intercept the convoy, an intercept could also be carried out by Saudi Arabia, Egypt or the United Arab Emirates, which are patrolling the waters off Yemen.

Supported by the United States, Saudi Arabia has led Sunni Arab countries in carrying out more than three weeks of airstrikes targeting the rebels, who are backed by Iran and have seized parts of Yemen.

There is no indication that U.S. or other coalition warships have been in contact with the Iranians, but one official told NBC News, "They know we're there."

Some U.S. officials are concerned that the leak of the information is not good, coming at the same time as the United States and other countries try to reach a final agreement on Iran's nuclear program.

"Since this is now public, the Iranians may feel they've been backed into a corner" and attempt to run through any blockade set up by the coalition warships, one official said

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-s-prepared-intercept-iranian-convoy-suspected-carrying-weapons-yemen-n345041

Iranian ships try to muscle it's way past a US Navy carrier group that's not going to end well .

The US has not lost a naval encounter since 1944 .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

backward savages

Mod: consider this your final warning. Read the charter, read other posts, and see what stanard of postibg is required. You couldve made your point by commenting on the theocracy in Iran or the dynastic Saudi royal family or in a dozen other ways. Asserting that two entire countries are "baxkward savages" is not real political debate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Iranian ships try to muscle it's way past a US Navy carrier group that's not going to end well .

The US has not lost a naval encounter since 1944 .

Iran caused plenty of disruption to the US navy during the Iran - Iraq War, particularly with the use of surface-to-sea weapons.

(You know, the war where the US supported Saddam Hussein and supplied him with chemical weapons that were used on Iranian soldiers and civilians).

Albeit the disruption was targeted at US ships attempting to blockade the Persian Gulf / Gulf of Oman. I seriously doubt Iran will look for a naval encounter around the Gulf of Aden.

Iran caused plenty of disruption to the US navy during the Iran - Iraq War, particularly with the use of surface-to-sea weapons.

(You know, the war where the US supported Saddam Hussein and supplied him with chemical weapons that were used on Iranian soldiers and civilians).

Albeit the disruption was targeted at US ships attempting to blockade the Persian Gulf / Gulf of Oman. I seriously doubt Iran will look for a naval encounter around the Gulf of Aden.

This is true to a degree .
    The US special forces carried out multiple operations against iranian naval forces in the same period .
    In saying that Iran recently carried out a mock battle against a balsa wood minture carrier off its coast a few weeks back showing small craft apparently over whelming the mock carrier before it was sank .
    What good it actually did the Iranians I don't know.
    But a full carrier group against a handful of fast boats will be a disaster

• Advertisement

its coast a few weeks back showing small craft apparently over whelming the mock carrier before it was sank .
    What good it actually did the Iranians I don't know.
    But a full carrier group against a handful of fast boats will be a disaster

It was such a waste of plywood!

But sure, propaganda has its value.

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/iran-shows-off-in-giant-attack-on-mock-aircraft-carrier-1a00f16d1853

1*kUyvMBy9DT9U93v86kuDBQ.png

Advertisement