Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Art] Linocut - How do I maximize my marks?

Options
  • 20-04-2015 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I've decided to do linocut for my craft, modelling and calligraphy don't suit me and I don't have time to prepare for anything else. I'm doing "close-up for my linocut topic. I just don't really understand what the examiner is looking for to say "Wow, that's a good linocut". My teacher said they're looking for variety in cuts, good composition, etc etc, but a linocut I've done recently had all that, and my teacher still doesn't really consider it a "good" linocut.

So how should I approach linocut?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

You really need to develop a good design before you even start working on your piece of lino.

A) The design must be suitable for lino printing - strong contrasts, bold shapes, textures ... It must be developed through sketches and be an interesting interpretation of the theme.

If you look at the marking scheme there are a lot of marks for the design element firstly 10 mks for the sketches, then 20 mks for the design and then 10 mrks for the interpretation - so basically start now developing your design.

B) Remember to trace the design on backwards so it prints the right way round.

C) Cut neatly with a variety of marks

D) Print evenly and in a neat clean manner

E) If your colour printing make sure your registration is accurate

Advertisement