Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected]oards.ie for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

[Art] Linocut - How do I maximize my marks?

• 19-04-2015 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31 RingoIRL

I've decided to do linocut for my craft, modelling and calligraphy don't suit me and I don't have time to prepare for anything else. I'm doing "close-up for my linocut topic. I just don't really understand what the examiner is looking for to say "Wow, that's a good linocut". My teacher said they're looking for variety in cuts, good composition, etc etc, but a linocut I've done recently had all that, and my teacher still doesn't really consider it a "good" linocut.

So how should I approach linocut?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭ Red Hare

You really need to develop a good design before you even start working on your piece of lino.

A) The design must be suitable for lino printing - strong contrasts, bold shapes, textures ... It must be developed through sketches and be an interesting interpretation of the theme.

If you look at the marking scheme there are a lot of marks for the design element firstly 10 mks for the sketches, then 20 mks for the design and then 10 mrks for the interpretation - so basically start now developing your design.

B) Remember to trace the design on backwards so it prints the right way round.

C) Cut neatly with a variety of marks

D) Print evenly and in a neat clean manner

E) If your colour printing make sure your registration is accurate

Advertisement