Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jogging. Badly. Slowly.

Options
  • 19-04-2015 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I've recently upgraded from walking to jogging - my gym... guy... recommended when I started there that I walk on the treadmill for 15 mins or so to warm up before moving on to other stuff - usually about 1k or so. (so pretty slow)

However I quite liked the treadmill, and when I started running a bit on it, I liked that even more. So I sped up a bit and now I run ( I keep saying run, its more of a jog) 3k to 5k a few times a week, in the last few weeks.

The trouble is, while I do seem to be going a bit faster, its not by much. I can probably jog 3k in the time it took me to walk 1k, but my 5k is abysmal. (45 mins) I'm just not sure I know how to increase my speed, or how to even go about building it up? I'm carrying an extra stone or two, but I'm guessing as one goes up the other will go down!

Also when I try run outside, I get about 2.5k before I get overwhelmed with nausea, and I have to stop. I run on an empty stomach, so I'm not sure how to combat it.

Ultimately, I want to be able to run further, and faster, but I've no real idea how to get there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Welcome to the world of running.

Not particularly fast myself so you can take what I say with a pinch of salt but the following might be useful:

1. Have a small snack 30 - 60 min before you run (you mentioned you feel nauseous running on an empty stomach)

2. The treadmill is not a great copy of running in the big bad world so it is normal to find running outside a bit tougher than on the treadmill. Keep that in mind and allow yourself the time to adjust.

3. Try not getting hung up on distance and run for time. Instead of heading out to run 3 km aim to run for 20 mins, gradually (and this is key so I'll repeat), gradually increase your time and you'll notice your speed and distance both increase over time.

4. Slow down. It might sound counter productive but as someone who can walk quite fast, when I started running I had to be really careful not to run too fast because if I did I would be in bits after less than a kilometer. If the goal is to run for 20 min or 5 km or any other time/distance there is no point being sick after 5 min. If you are only beginning, then concentrate first on building up that little bit of stamina and muscles so that you are comfortable running. Once you have that base, you can start looking at ways to increase speed, endurance and so on.

Happy Running!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,990 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Viriconia wrote: »
    I've recently upgraded from walking to jogging - my gym... guy... recommended when I started there that I walk on the treadmill for 15 mins or so to warm up before moving on to other stuff - usually about 1k or so. (so pretty slow)

However I quite liked the treadmill, and when I started running a bit on it, I liked that even more. So I sped up a bit and now I run ( I keep saying run, its more of a jog) 3k to 5k a few times a week, in the last few weeks.

The trouble is, while I do seem to be going a bit faster, its not by much. I can probably jog 3k in the time it took me to walk 1k, but my 5k is abysmal. (45 mins) I'm just not sure I know how to increase my speed, or how to even go about building it up? I'm carrying an extra stone or two, but I'm guessing as one goes up the other will go down!

Also when I try run outside, I get about 2.5k before I get overwhelmed with nausea, and I have to stop. I run on an empty stomach, so I'm not sure how to combat it.

Ultimately, I want to be able to run further, and faster, but I've no real idea how to get there.

Forget about running until your weight is down to a healthy level. If it's causing you that much "pain" then keep walking and manage the weight and then maybe try to get two feet off the ground at the same time. Run until you start feeling uncomfortable, (do not run through discomfort and pain) then stop and walk and repeat. After a while the running may become something that you can do and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It might be worth looking at the C25K program, especially for outdoors.

As an aside, what's probably happening when you run outdoors is that you have no idea what speed you're running at and you're probably going too fast. On the treadmill you can adjust to what you know you can do.

In terms or progression, you can increase the distance you run at the speed you currently run or the speed at the distance you currently run. You can do that on the treadmill easily enough-small increments will do.

When you're running outdoors and you can't complete a reasonable distance without having to take a short walking break, then you're running too fast. Slow down until you can complete the time/distance without stopping. Then build from there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Agree with AV above, when running out side you should consciously go as slow as possible to the point that it feels less like running really. You should be able to hold a conversation with a running partner, speak in full sentences etc.

You should concentrate on the distance covered or the time spent running but not on the speed. It's recommended not to increase your distance by more than 10% per week.

Also concentrate on either increasing distance or increasing speed, never both at the same time. Going slowly is key I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Agree with Adrian and AV. You have already made some excellent progress, so congrats on that first of all. We are all at different fitness level with different makeup and ability. I would forget about measuring yourself against others. I would also endorse the like of the couch to 5k program (c25k), the likes of www.nhs.co.uk have podcast with each exercise plan. They focus on building endurance gradually. Starting in week 1 with a lot of walking interspersed with 1 minute jogging segments. Each session is approx 30 minutes. This kind of program allow you to taper the lenght that you jog for upward in graduate step. Repeat any week as much as you need to. If you are finding a particular week too difficult reduce your jogging pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

Really good advice from posters above^^^^

I did the C25K program last year until I injured myself - and the one thing you need to take into account when you're running, take your time. Don't try jump ahead before you're ready or you will do damage to your body. Your body knows how much it can take, get used to running slow, everyone is different and you need to give yourself time to adjust.

Make sure you have good posture when running as this will open your lungs. You need to pace yourself, if you are not sweating your not going fast enough, if you feel light headed and you're going to throw up - you're pushing yourself too much.

Don't run on an empty stomach - your body needs energy, but don't have a meal beforehand either as you will throw up. Have something like a banana or some peanut butter on oat cakes a good bit before you run.

Also, I ended up with heel spurs on my feet from running on concrete - try running on grass, it is completely different to concrete but you will have less injuries. Take the time (and money) to get yourself a good pair of trainers too - it makes the difference.

There are some good videos online for (I think it's called) mindful running. Where you pay attention to your posture and breathing. As Adrian522 said, you should be able to hold a conversation with your running partner, if you cannot - you're doing too much.

Fair play to you getting out there. I have let my own fitness slide in recent months and need to get on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Viriconia

Thanks everyone - lots of good advice!
    I'll try the C25K again but I honestly found the stopping / starting harder than just continuing! If it helps me build up again though I'll give it another shot.
    I usually test my pace by 1) checking nike+ and 2) singing a line from whatever song I'm listening to - if I can't sing it I'm going too fast.
    walshb wrote: »
    Forget about running until your weight is down to a healthy level. If it's causing you that much "pain" then keep walking and manage the weight and then maybe try to get two feet off the ground at the same time. Run until you start feeling uncomfortable, (do not run through discomfort and pain) then stop and walk and repeat. After a while the running may become something that you can do and enjoy.

Just to clarify, I'm not in any pain whatsoever, I usually feel pretty good and I could keep going if it wasn't for my stomach lurching, at the 2.5k mark. I'm sure I could push through it, but its only when running on the footpath and thats the last place I want to throw up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

+1 about breathing having something to do with it.

I found trying to keep a steady breathing rythm helped.

Then I found making the music too loud to hear my breathing helped more.

Might be just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Slydice wrote: »
    +1 about breathing having something to do with it.

I found trying to keep a steady breathing rythm helped.

The days I found the runs harder for whatever reason, I'd concentrate on my breathing and keep it in some sort of rhythm with my feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Slydice wrote: »
    Then I found making the music too loud to hear my breathing helped more.

Might be just me.

Me too! When I can hear my breathing I'm much more conscious of it and am aware of my steps/breath timing - for some reason I end up struggling more when I can hear it.

If the music in my ears is loud and I don't hear my breathing, I will have gone a lot further and will have felt more comfortable than without music!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

Great job on all of the hard work and keep up with it. I was looking at decreasing my race times and came across a good article about running tips- http://www.beachbody.com/beachbodyblog/fitness/8-tips-running-faster. It helped me make a new game plan and changed the way I train. It's good advice for any level runner and hope this helps

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think when you are looking to improve your times there is a different conversation to be had.

A good place to start would be the Hal Higdon training plans, which are very good for beginners.

Most important thing I think is consistency, better off running a small amount 3 times per week than a longer run once every so often. It's good to follow a plan and vary the paces rather than running at the same pace all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Viriconia

Went for a run on the roads today, decided to go with C25k week 6 since that seemed nice and gentle to start with and work up from.
    Was manageable, but I was still looking forward to the walks when they came, and had to keep pulling back and slowing down. No nausea at all so I think I'm on the right road.

My sister wants me to do a 5k with her soon, she runs 5k in or around 30 minutes so I'd like to not be any more than 5 mins behind her so at least I have a firm goal to aim for!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

biggest problems i see when working with runners beyond varying running speed and tempos are -

1) no strength training work
    2) not enough mobility work
    3) running form needs massive amount of work which can be vastly improved through working on 1 and 2

its all detailed here - http://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/2014/09/how-to-run-quicker-and-easier/

Advertisement