Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar - Athlone Greenway progress?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Can we not have people telling others how discussion should, or should not, go. The Greenway can be discussed as both a leisure amenity and a business opportunity.

If you have issues with posts, just report them and don't respond on thread as that can only serve to draw the thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Angron wrote: »
    Can we not have people telling others how discussion should, or should not, go. The Greenway can be discussed as both a leisure amenity and a business opportunity.

If you have issues with posts, just report them and don't respond on thread as that can only serve to draw the thread off topic.

And the day that's in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Which direction did you cycle, Athlone > Mullingar or Mullingar > Athlone?

Cycled Athlone to Mullingar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lameusername

Was on it today, busiest I've ever seen it. Family's on bikes, dog walkers, kids lashing into ice-cream at Garrycastle.
    It's going to be big this summer I think.
    Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Dogs will soon have to be banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

nice_guy80 wrote:
    Dogs will soon have to be banned

As long as people clean up after them i dont see the issue. I walk my dogon it regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,936 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They'll probably try installing Poop bins first but eventually give up.
    They're is no way a dog ban can get enforced unfortunately, best they can do is gravel the tracks side and place signage to encourage dog walkers to keep to that side.

flazio wrote: »
    They'll probably try installing Poop bins first but eventually give up.
    They're is no way a dog ban can get enforced unfortunately, best they can do is gravel the tracks side and place signage to encourage dog walkers to keep to that side.

Dogs are dangerous when bikes are flying along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Dogs are dangerous when bikes are flying along.

it's primary purpose though is not to facilitate flying bikes!

it's primary purpose though is not to facilitate flying bikes!

Once saw a cyclist hospitalised by a dog on a lead who ran across the path of the cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

I live further down the cycle track passed Garrycastle and noticed all of the trees either side of the railway track cut down, so I can only assume they're continuing progress further into Athlone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I live further down the cycle track passed Garrycastle and noticed all of the trees either side of the railway track cut down, so I can only assume they're continuing progress further into Athlone.

Hopefully it will continue on towards the Ballimahon Road soon.

Are they likely to build a new bridge across the Shannon for the cycleway?
    Or just tag on something to the side of the existing railway bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Are they likely to build a new bridge across the Shannon for the cycleway?
    Or just tag on something to the side of the existing railway bridge

The Green way won't be going near the white bridge.
    It is looking like it will be near the raddison hotel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The Green way won't be going near the white bridge.
    It is looking like it will be near the raddison hotel.

They're proposing a new bridge to cross at the marina to the walkway beside the Art Gallery. The entry point will be between the Radisson and the Abbey, just off Northgate Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

Itzy wrote: »
    Hopefully it will continue on towards the Ballimahon Road soon.

About three weeks ago there was a good few lads chopping down trees during the night at the end of Sarsfield which is just next to Ballymahon road. I haven't been on the railway track in a few months but I might have a look tomorrow when it dries up to see if any progress was made

I passed that way after training this evening, and see it's a bit tidier. The little plot of land beside the railway gates on the Ballymahon Road, would be prime land when it's complete. So if anyone has the money and it's for sale, I'd say snatch it now while it's cheap :P

I passed that way after training this evening, and see it's a bit tidier. The little plot of land beside the railway gates on the Ballymahon Road, would be prime land when it's complete. So if anyone has the money and it's for sale, I'd say snatch it now while it's cheap :P

prime land for what?
    watching cyclists go by?

It will be an Entry/Exit point. Possible Bicycle Shop, with Bike hire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

It will be an Entry/Exit point. Possible Bicycle Shop, with Bike hire!

plus café etc. nugents in garrycastle can get well busy with cyclists stopping there during or after a cycle. you'd expect that as the greenway is extended that stopping point might also move, especially if there was parking there for people who don't live nearby...one other advantage that nugents also have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

I'm on the committee there and Moate Golf Club is very welcoming to cyclists. If you wanted to combine 2 sports during the summer sometime we have some golf clubs for hire.

Padraig (who runs the restaurant part) has even installed a substantial bike rack to make things more secure for visitors.

I assume local bike shops will pick up on trade with more bikes for hire. Wasn't that Green hippy, Eamonn Ryan doing good business in that sector ?

A Capital idea from Moate. People with brains. Jolly good. I hope those who open up shops or are shops that intend to cater for these cyclists have in stock things like pumps and puncture tyres just in case of emergencies. I assume people who are do the whole run would have their supplies, but still

Really tempted to get my bike repaired and give it ago some weekend when I am back in God's Country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

They're proposing a new bridge to cross at the marina to the walkway beside the Art Gallery. The entry point will be between the Radisson and the Abbey, just off Northgate Street.

Interesting

Griffins will do well out of that.

What happens from GarryCastle to, I assume, Ballymahon Road railway line? One gets off there and then what? Where does the track go in order to get to Northgate Street

I am not sure the Railway Road (or Southern Road, whatever it is called) would be safe , would they go through St Francis Terrace ? Hardly, with the shopping centre car park area and St Francis being a residential area (exposure to the Old Wall would be nice for tourists) Are the CIE actually every going to do something with that waste land just in front of the Railway/Bus Station (where you can see St Francis Terrace) and is adjacent to The Manse and St Vincents?

Might be a good idea once they get as far as the Art Gallery to tack the track around the Number 1 after the White Bridge; a nice bit of scenery and discover how the natives behave :D

Considering how pretty well flooded the Marina was during the past two big floods, I assume the bridge might not be used during the winter where there is bad weather. Would the bridge be starting in the grounds of the Radision?

Must say, that bridge (Northgate Street to the art gallery) would be fantastically handy for my mother trying to get to work or for me going to the pubs across town. No more having the climb that "hill" near auld McCormack's shop

Do cyclists spend much money?
    Aren't they more likely to spend it where they decide to stop for a break and turn around
    Genuine question

From what I hear, the Golf Club in Moate is doing a booming trade since the cycle path opened, with Cyclists dropping by. Yes, from what I hear, the club has a Cafe. You're hardly going to casually cycle 42km, stop for a quick water break, then turn around and go home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm biased cos I live in Moate, but the food in the Golf Club is lovely. Love the chicken curry!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Do cyclists spend much money?
    Aren't they more likely to spend it where they decide to stop for a break and turn around
    Genuine question

Pubs, hostels and bike shops in Newport seem to be flying these days. Cafes all around rural north Dublin do booming trade selling coffee and cooked breakfasts to cyclists every weekend.

My wife and I would usually spend €15-20 between us on a spin.

A big benefit to pubs that I noticed in Newport was that the place was packed with people eating and drinking pints for an Ireland match, all the customers were cycling. Before the greenway their customers would all have been driving making less pints sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I'm biased cos I live in Moate, but the food in the Golf Club is lovely. Love the chicken curry!

Yes, I love the Moatey Mahal.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Pubs, hostels and bike shops in Newport seem to be flying these days. Cafes all around rural north Dublin do booming trade selling coffee and cooked breakfasts to cyclists every weekend.

My wife and I would usually spend €15-20 between us on a spin.

A big benefit to pubs that I noticed in Newport was that the place was packed with people eating and drinking pints for an Ireland match, all the customers were cycling. Before the greenway their customers would all have been driving making less pints sold.

hopefully something similar happens

• Advertisement

hopefully something similar happens

I think we can see the benefits already.

Advertisement