Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar - Athlone Greenway progress?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

flazio wrote: »
    Probably will be but with a long term plan to connect Dublin and Galway with a bicycle and below only road, they can't refuse to build it and give up now.

It's just after occuring to me, but what's the odds, some lads might take advantage of the cycle path if they have motor cycles, at night time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

flazio wrote: »
    Probably will be but with a long term plan to connect Dublin and Galway with a bicycle and below only road, they can't refuse to build it and give up now.

It will be great though. Imagine, people will now literally be able to say "I cycled from Eyre Square all the way into Dublin , by bike" and so in complete safety and not fear being knocked down by cars and trucks.

Great idea this cycle lane. Something to do in Athlone as well. Personally years, ago, as a keen cyclists and with nothing to do, I use to cycle the Clownown Road (from the town to the church and back) because it was a lengthy route and a relatively quiet road. Scenery is nice too. Nice to have new options now.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Lt Dan wrote: »
    It will be great though. Imagine, people will now literally be able to say "I cycled from Eyre Square all the way into Dublin , by bike" and so in complete safety and not fear being knocked down by cars and trucks.

Great idea this cycle lane. Something to do in Athlone as well. Personally years, ago, as a keen cyclists and with nothing to do, I use to cycle the Clownown Road (from the town to the church and back) because it was a lengthy route and a relatively quiet road. Scenery is nice too. Nice to have new options now.

Have you got an aqua bike?

Mearings wrote: »
    Have you got an aqua bike?

Why? Is Clowown flooded again? I know the road was always dicey in the winter being prone to flood.. I was referring to the summer time.

I sense that it not what you meant. Aqua bikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

No dodgy sorts at night? Drinking Linden Village/Devils Bit like they use to do down in Burgess Park all these years ago. Not trying to be smart assed, just see that long stretch of road being a handy enough spot for knacker drinking

Used to happen when it was just a railwayvtrack...so I imagine it won't change much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I think the Longford leg of the path is now surfaced from Ballynacarrigy to Taghshinny and onto Ballymahon (which was not overgrown)

its a lovely area for a cycle.
    Park the car in Abbeyshrule, cycle into Ballymahon along the canal, back out through Newcastle woods

I think the Longford leg of the path is now surfaced from Ballynacarrigy to Taghshinny and onto Ballymahon (which was not overgrown)

its a lovely area for a cycle.
    Park the car in Abbeyshrule, cycle into Ballymahon along the canal, back out through Newcastle woods

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Why? Is Clowown flooded again? I know the road was always dicey in the winter being prone to flood.. I was referring to the summer time.

I sense that it not what you meant. Aqua bikes?

No, dry at the moment. Shannon is actually very low for a change.

Very narrow road to be cycling on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The Shannon is quite low at the moment. The last time I checked you could walk across the weir.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

charlieIRL wrote: »

If a tractor can drive on it, a bicycle or tricycle can certainly be cycled on it.

• Advertisement

4ensic15 wrote: »
    If a tractor can drive on it, a bicycle or tricycle can certainly be cycled on it.
    The real problem with that road is the lack of (safe) passing places, if you move over on a bike, there could be a 3 metre drop directly at the edge of the road, no verge at all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The real problem with that road is the lack of (safe) passing places, if you move over on a bike, there could be a 3 metre drop directly at the edge of the road, no verge at all!

You would want to be a right eejit to do that!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

That would be a point to raise. If this is on the Greenway, then some fencing wouldn't hurt. As much as it might hurt, I'd rather bounce off a fence, than slide down an embankment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    That would be a point to raise. If this is on the Greenway, then some fencing wouldn't hurt. As much as it might hurt, I'd rather bounce off a fence, than slide down an embankment.

it's both off topic and off the greenway ;)

It is, but, the traffic flow was low. When a car or tractor was coming, one would slow down on their bike, move to the edge and let it pass.

Seriously, anyone interested should really try that route. Very enjoyable cycle and the road, to my memory was very smooth. Nicely along the Shannon

The Shannon is quite low at the moment. The last time I checked you could walk across the weir.

I was down around Halloween and noted that the weir wall was still dry,. But still? Wow. Wasn't it this time last year that the floods were starting ?

In a way it is not, because, I think , considering the low level of traffic that is on the Clownown road, it would be a fine cycle way (in the summer). There are also a number of smaller side roads (rocky but can cycle them - kind old bog roads , not sure they are public though) If you are at the church, I think one could cycle all the way out as far as Summerhill. Then there is the well known Spring Road along the railway track (starts from Hall's Bridge and goes right up to Summerhill)

Nice routes for cycling, that could be looked into for some investment for cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I was down around Halloween and noted that the weir wall was still dry,. But still? Wow. Wasn't it this time last year that the floods were starting ?

Yes, I'm guessing they have deliberately run the river level down to nothing in case we are inundated again.

Ah I see. On the topic of the greenway, should there be stations in which one could make an emergency call if necessary. For instance, a cyclist, runner or walker were to have an injury, a call could be made and the station would act as a marker for emergency services.

I'm well aware that many people carry mobiles, but similar to the motorway systems, they would serve as a marker, as opposed to saying an injured person is a few miles down the cycle path from Mullingar or Athlone.

as opposed to saying an injured person is a few miles down the cycle path from Mullingar or Athlone.

beside the first moo-marker:

athlone-to-mullingar.jpg

• Advertisement

Ah I see. On the topic of the greenway, should there be stations in which one could make an emergency call if necessary. For instance, a cyclist, runner or walker were to have an injury, a call could be made and the station would act as a marker for emergency services.

I'm well aware that many people carry mobiles, but similar to the motorway systems, they would serve as a marker, as opposed to saying an injured person is a few miles down the cycle path from Mullingar or Athlone.

i guess that mile markers could be useful for that purpose also, rather than what i assume would be a fairly substantial cost to install such stations. not sure what the thinking is on this, i wonder are they provided on the long continental cycle routes?

In a way it is not, because, I think , considering the low level of traffic that is on the Clownown road, it would be a fine cycle way (in the summer). There are also a number of smaller side roads (rocky but can cycle them - kind old bog roads , not sure they are public though) If you are at the church, I think one could cycle all the way out as far as Summerhill. Then there is the well known Spring Road along the railway track (starts from Hall's Bridge and goes right up to Summerhill)

Nice routes for cycling, that could be looked into for some investment for cyclists

i think in terms of the greenway itself though it seems that we are at best several years away from seeing any extension west of the shannon :( i agree with you on the road itself being a pleasant area to encourage cycling (although i haven't been down them in years and hence don't know what state the surface is in).

i have to say i am continually incredibly surprised at how westmeath coco have approach the greenway challenge. they were first in with their planning and funding requests and got the mullingar to athlone stretch built very quickly and to a high standard.

by way of contrast...here's a story from kildare this week...

i think in terms of the greenway itself though it seems that we are at best several years away from seeing any extension west of the shannon :( i agree with you on the road itself being a pleasant area to encourage cycling (although i haven't been down them in years and hence don't know what state the surface is in).

i have to say i am continually incredibly surprised at how westmeath coco have approach the greenway challenge. they were first in with their planning and funding requests and got the mullingar to athlone stretch built very quickly and to a high standard.

by way of contrast...here's a story from kildare this week...

Yep, odd that Westmeath is ahead of the curve on something. Glad they have found use for the rail line. I was skeptical of the whole affair on the basis that surely the route would be boring as the embankments would block the area, but, nah, I can see that the positives sides trump the negatives. Looking forward to taking a spin around the Christmas time, weather permitting.

As for the West, that will be a war. Farmers, understandably, not keen on the invasion of their privacy and land being interfered with . No time for those crusties who think that since the State owns the land etc that they can go anywhere. Out with the shot guns , I say. But seriously, it will have to take actual evidence that the route in the east will actually bring money into the district before the farmers in the whest will consider it. Some are comparing the routes in Mayo as an example, but, that is stupid. For a start, the quality of land in Mayo is crap, just about fit for rearing sheep and nothing else. Good land West of Athlone to Galway . What is laughable though is that them farmers moan about isolation and drink driving. Yet cycle routes would be handy for them. Cycle or walk into town / village safely on that route, have a feed of beer and cycle/walk home in safety back on that route. Until then , they can use the public roads. It is unfair that the farmers are being vilified.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

i guess that mile markers could be useful for that purpose also, rather than what i assume would be a fairly substantial cost to install such stations. not sure what the thinking is on this, i wonder are they provided on the long continental cycle routes?

There was mileposts every quarter mile (although measured from Broadstone Dublin) but most seem to have been removed when greenway installed.

why not just run the Athlone - Ballinasloe leg along the old N6?

I think if they swung it down towards Clonmacnoise on the Roscommon side and put a foot/bike bridge over the Shannon

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Anyone that wants to cycle on the old N6 is free to do that today - but it isn't a Greenway.

The route corridor heads south along the Shannon towards Shannonbridge, and up the old canal to Ballinasloe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

nice_guy80 wrote: »

I think if they swung it down towards Clonmacnoise on the Roscommon side and put a foot/bike bridge over the Shannon

Wasn't there a proposal to do another section to Ballinasloe but it was rejected?

Wasn't there a proposal to do another section to Ballinasloe but it was rejected?

There isn't a disused railway to repurpose, so they have to negotiate with landowners. There is a proposed route, but it is not agreed.

This will take time and money.

It might be expensive, but a few lights here and there wouldn't go a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

It might be expensive, but a few lights here and there wouldn't go a miss.

Solar power.....

Advertisement