Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badly need to start training

Options
  • 18-04-2015 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I'm about 10 stone overweight so obviously need to start training. I got in touch with a gym here in Limerick to see what kinda services they offered and a trainer got back to me a few weeks ago. Asked me all the questions about injury, goals etc. But I didn't get back to her.... Until today.

My issue in not getting back to her earlier was financial. She was looking for 30€ an hour. I've been unemployed quite a while so that price is very steep for me. I've managed to scrape €250 together and that's when I got in touch. I offered to pay this amount upfront for 10 sessions. I know I need it coz I'm the most unmotivated person in the world.

I suppose my question is this... What kinda risks am I running by offering and subsequently having that offer accepted? Obviously it'll be my first foray into fitness in all of my 35 years. What should I expect when I embark on this journey. All comments and advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

pajopearl wrote: »
    I'm about 10 stone overweight so obviously need to start training. I got in touch with a gym here in Limerick to see what kinda services they offered and a trainer got back to me a few weeks ago. Asked me all the questions about injury, goals etc. But I didn't get back to her.... Until today.

My issue in not getting back to her earlier was financial. She was looking for 30€ an hour. I've been unemployed quite a while so that price is very steep for me. I've managed to scrape €250 together and that's when I got in touch. I offered to pay this amount upfront for 10 sessions. I know I need it coz I'm the most unmotivated person in the world.

I suppose my question is this... What kinda risks am I running by offering and subsequently having that offer accepted? Obviously it'll be my first foray into fitness in all of my 35 years. What should I expect when I embark on this journey. All comments and advice appreciated.

Try and get your hands on the insanity fitness dvds instead. You'll get in great shape very quickly if you follow the programme the weight will fall off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Try and get your hands on the insanity fitness dvds instead. You'll get in great shape very quickly if you follow the programme the weight will fall off you.

I have them. Way too intense. Couldn't keep up and space was also an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

If the DVDs are too intense could you rope in a friend to go walking with you everyday. When you've upped the fitness you could join a gym and start the free classes most gyms run.

Also diet is a huge thing!! If you post up your regular daily food intake people (much more knowledgeable than me) could help you make healthier choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Why do look up fitness videos on YouTube, you'd get plenty of beginner and intermediate videos there. You'd have a lot of choice. I follow Zuzka Light's videos. They are short but intense enough but in a good way! If I can do them you can.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If you are 10 stone overweight then what you need is help in learning to eat properly. Assuming you are, say, 20 stone, you'll likely just do yourself damage doing any strenuous exercise. With some simple changes to your diet you could absolutely shed weight. No amount of exercise you could do right now will make the slightest dent in the calorie excess you must be eating to maintain so much extra weight. I'd spend the money seeing a dietician and helping to put together some sort of eating plan. Far more helpful to you right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Stop eating products with wheat and products which are full of sugar. This will significantly reduce your carbohydrate intake.

Eat unprocessed foods such as:
    eggs, fish, red meat, chicken, nuts, oats, fruit and loads of veg. Only drink water/tea/coffee.

Go for a walk for an hour every evening, the weathers good so enjoy it.

Do that for 2 months.

If you're taking on a trainer then let him/her teach you what they want to teach you. If you're 10 stone overweight and eat from the list above the weight will fall off you for a while regardless of what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Windorah wrote: »
    If the DVDs are too intense could you rope in a friend to go walking with you everyday. When you've upped the fitness you could join a gym and start the free classes most gyms run.

Also diet is a huge thing!! If you post up your regular daily food intake people (much more knowledgeable than me) could help you make healthier choices.

I'll second this. Walking is completely underrated. Aim for an hour 4 days a week. Work up to that if not currently walking at all. Aim to walk at an intensity that makes you slightly breathless......ie just about able to talk in full sentences.

Google pressups and planks for core fitness. Do twice a week along with some yoga type stretches.

Info on diet also critical. This is the part that will loose the weight not the exercise.....you can't outrun a bad diet.

If in 6 months you still want a trainer then go for it. Hopefully you will ha é lost weight and be fitted so can make better use of the advice

Advertisement