Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Driving..

Options
  • 18-04-2015 6:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all, firstly I am not proud of this and never ever will drive under the influence, even one pint ever again.

I was out at a thing my mate runs in Dublin, I arrived there at 7pm and started drinking.
    I had drank 7 cans of 4.2% alc. and finished up around 11.20pm.

I then got the bus home and popped into a pub with 2 mates and then had a few more.
    I had 4 pints of budweiser 5% alc

I then made the stupid decision to get my car to drop my friends down the road and was pulled over. (not because I was driving all over the place but because my two mates looked out the back window to clarify that it was infact, a Garda car, which attracted attention to me.)

I got pulled over at 3am, urine tested around 5am.
    I hadn't eating anything proper for the few days beforehand or anything really that day.
    (Incase those facts may affect the alcohol leaving my body quicker/slower)

I was just wondering If anybody could try calculate/advise me on what to expect with this letter (court) and how long it usually takes to hear back with results.

thank you very much,

One Sorry Ex Drink Driver

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Vevadox

There was a 10hr gap between consuming the cans at 7pm, and a bit of research says an empty stomach helps process the alcohol faster

I have found this thing online (not going by it at all, just using it as a rough guide to see where I might be at..)

WEIGHT - Average
    GENDER - m
    BEVERAGE - Beer
    QUANTITY - 7 (3500ml)
    STRENGTH % alcohol - 4.2%
    STARTED DRINKING hours ago - 5 (started drinking at 7pm, and then started drinking 12pm again)

RESULTS

BAC% = 0.120
    Sober in 9 hours 1 minutes

+1h 0.113 (8pm)
    +1h 30m 0.105 (9pm)
    +2h 0.098 (10pm)
    +2h 30m 0.090 (11pm)
    +3h 0.083 (12pm) -- 0.083
    +3h 30m 0.075
    +4h 0.068
    +4h 30m 0.060
    +5h 0.053
    +5h 30m 0.045
    +6h 0.038
    +6h 30m 0.030
    +7h 0.023
    +7h 30m 0.015
    +8h 0.008
    +8h 30m 0.000
    +9h 1m SOBER

Then I'm adding on the pints I had at 00:00

WEIGHT - Average
    GENDER - m
    BEVERAGE - Beer
    QUANTITY - 4 (2273ml)
    STRENGTH % alcohol - 5%
    STARTED DRINKING hours ago - 5 (started drinking this time 12pm)

RESULTS
    BAC% = 0.084
    Sober in 6 hours 34 minutes
    +1h 0.076 (1am)
    +1h 30m 0.069 (2am)
    +2h 0.061 (3am) <- arrested not breathalyzed
    +2h 30m 0.054 (4am)
    +3h 0.046 (5am) <- doctor took urine sample
    +3h 30m 0.039 (I am adding 0.046 +0.083 to get an approximation on my BAC = 129)
    +4h 0.031
    +4h 30m 0.024
    +5h 0.016
    +5h 30m 0.009
    +6h 0.001
    +5h 34m SOBER

As urine tests are used as last resort when the other options aren't available as they are not as accurate, might the factor of empty stomach etc help sway the result?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

What did they tell you your roadside reading was? But 11 drinks and no food...I think your looking at a long ban at the very least..

If the guards don't end up throwing the book at someone who got into a car after a full on session, there is something wrong with the system

There wasn't a 10 hour gap from when you consumed the beers at 7, did you drink all 7 cans at 7pm, no, you finished drinking that first session's worth at 11:30, then you went for round 2.

Seriously, take your medicine and stop look for reassurances from people who unfortunately have to share the road with people like you

I understand people make mistakes, so do I, but that was full on drink driving.

You and your mates are lucky you made it home to tell the tale

• Advertisement

Hey, they hadn't given me a reading, they just asked if I was okay and to provide my license and insurance. I had only applied for a license because I couldn't find my other one - So I messed up a bit trying to explain that one! "I haven't got a license I lost it, but it's not lost I applied for it..." etc etc :P

but experienced drivers: (b) Exceeding 107mg but not exceeding 135mg of alcohol per 100ml of urine is 6mths and 400e fine
    The bac calculator gave me reading of 129 based on the information i put into it.
    I was thinking maybe with a bit of luck on my side, and with the urine tests not being as effective as blood/breathalyzer etc that I get off this hook :(

Also side note: I had just bought the car, I have insurance on it but I have not got my cert yet, I have to provide it within 10 days, I assume a receipt of payment would suffice?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I think your taking the pi&& now. No tax, no insurance, no licence, drunk driving.... I'm out.....

I have tax, nct, insurance, and a full license!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

You went on a session, drank a hell of a lot, drove home drunk and are hoping to get off the hook?

Seriously? I hope you're banned for a hell of a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

You are probably looking at a 2 year ban and a small fine providing that was the only law you broke. Not speeding etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 lesterburnham

You drove under the influence and it seems that you only care about getting caught. You deserve a long ban, idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

You won't get banned.

Bring your self calculated sober results before a judge and he can only take them seriously. Also the gaurds should not have pulled you over if you weren't driving erratically, so you can argue that with the judge too.

I've seen many cases like this in court and honestly you're best to represent yourself, don't waste your money on a solicitor. Judges are.sound at the end of the day and will certainly not punish you for your actions above, no matter how silly it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Was there a working breathalyzer machine in the police station. I can only think of a few situation, where a urine test would be called for.
    a. The reading were incredibly high and the urine test was to verify this high reading to ensure the correct judgement.
    b. Breathalyzer reading were not consistent, possible through not following instructions.
    c. Refuse to undertake breathalyser.

Only advice I can give you is to provide all the required paper in your designated Garda station, Proof that you held a driving on the night in question, proof of insurance etc.
    I have no idea how it works now with the NDLS, but the councils in the past were able to provide a statement detailing any licenses held, at anytime by the driver now and in the past and the periods they were held.

(Now I applied for my car license, proof I had already held a motorcycle licensed and had undertaken a theory test in that category meant I didn't have to do the theory test for the car licence. This requirement I believe has changed now, as there are motorcycle/car specific question for their respective categories)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Was there a working breathalyzer machine in the police station. I can only think of a few situation, where a urine test would be called for.
    a. The reading were incredibly high and the urine test was to verify this high reading to ensure the correct judgement.
    b. Breathalyzer reading were not consistent, possible through not following instructions.
    c. Refuse to undertake breathalyser.

Only advice I can give you is to provide all the required paper in your designated Garda station, Proof that you held a driving on the night in question, proof of insurance etc.
    I have no idea how it works now with the NDLS, but the councils in the past were able to provide a statement detailing any licenses held, at anytime by the driver now and in the past and the periods they were held.

(Now I applied for my car license, proof I had already held a motorcycle licensed and had undertaken a theory test in that category meant I didn't have to do the theory test for the car licence. This requirement I believe has changed now, as there are motorcycle/car specific question for their respective categories)

It is an offence to drive without your license on you. It is unlikely that the guards will be so kind as to drop this charge when the op was clearly steaming drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

He was probably too drunk to remember if he was breathalyzed or not.
    Isn't that the first thing they do before being brought to the station? They wouldnt bring you to the station for license and insurance, you've ten days to produce those.

Anyway - at a guess, a 2 year ban if it's your first drink driving offence but can't help but feel you're trolling with this - if you're telling the truth, it's disgusting behaviour.

Ps - not eating makes it worse and not better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

He was probably too drunk to remember if he was breathalyzed or not.
    Isn't that the first thing they do before being brought to the station? They wouldnt bring you to the station for license and insurance, you've ten days to produce those.

Anyway - at a guess, a 2 year ban if it's your first drink driving offence but can't help but feel you're trolling with this - if you're telling the truth, it's disgusting behaviour.

Ps - not eating makes it worse and not better

There is no requirement to do a roadside breath test. A member can do one to confirm consumption of drink but if a member is satisfied that drink has been consumed and the driver is incapable of having proper control then it's arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

I've seen many cases like this in court and honestly you're best to represent yourself, don't waste your money on a solicitor. Judges are.sound at the end of the day and will certainly not punish you for your actions above, no matter how silly it was.
    You want to be careful representing yourself though, judges will think they can push you around. Your best strategy is to let the judge know right away that you're not going to be intimidated -- stand up at the start of the hearing and tell him you're not scared of him or his stupid little f***g wig. Otherwise they'll walk all over you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Vevadox wrote: »
    I assume a receipt of payment would suffice?

thanks

No. You'll need to provide the insurance cert. Get onto your insurance company straight away.

Going by your opening post, I think you're only kidding yourself with your calculations. I cannot see how you weren't over the limit.

You're going to get a ban, a fine and feck up your insurance cost into the future.

You don't seem to have been relying on a car for long, that's possibly the only comforting thing I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 polarax

You deserve to be banned and I hope you do!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/drink_driving_offences_in_ireland.html

OP you should have had 2 samples of either blood or urine taken. You would have been given one of these to have tested yourself, to see the BAC.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭lillian770

You went on a session, drank a hell of a lot, drove home drunk and are hoping to get off the hook?

Seriously? I hope you're banned for a hell of a long time.

Absolutely agree. One thing is to put your own life at risk; completely different thing is to put lives of other at risk. Drink driving should not be tolerated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Also side note: I had just bought the car, I have insurance on it but I have not got my cert yet, I have to provide it within 10 days, I assume a receipt of payment would suffice?

thanks

You'll need the cert, also you're obliged to inform your insurer and it's likely they'll cancel your policy because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You won't get banned.

Bring your self calculated sober results before a judge and he can only take them seriously. Also the gaurds should not have pulled you over if you weren't driving erratically, so you can argue that with the judge too.

This advice is nonsense. No judge in the world is going to take into consideration alcohol level results that have been self-calculated and have not come from an official source - i.e. a blood/urine/breath test conducted by people properly authorised by the State. In other words, the Gards or a doctor. BTW - were you ever tested at all? From the sounds of it, in the confusion and panic you might not remember...

You should also know that if the Gards even suspect anything, they have the power to pull you over.

GET A SOLICITOR!! It is most certainly not a waste of money. The solicitor alone can give you a better idea of where you stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

This advice is nonsense. No judge in the world is going to take into consideration alcohol level results that have been self-calculated and have not come from an official source - i.e. a blood/urine/breath test conducted by people properly authorised by the State. In other words, the Gards or a doctor. BTW - were you ever tested at all? From the sounds of it, in the confusion and panic you might not remember...

You should also know that if the Gards even suspect anything, they have the power to pull you over.

GET A SOLICITOR!! It is most certainly not a waste of money. The solicitor alone can give you a better idea of where you stand.

I think the poster was taking the p!ss.

ElleEm wrote: »
    I think the poster was taking the p!ss.

He had to have been! But the OP might just be desperate enough to take it on board...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Abanjan, I don't think the internet is for you.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Abanjan, I don't think the internet is for you.

I take it you mean me? ABajaninCork?? The internet's for everybody. It's not exclusive...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I take it you mean me? ABajaninCork?? The internet's for everybody. It's not exclusive...

If this were AH I'd quote Drax the Destroyer:"Nothing goes over my head.....my reflex are too fast and I would catch it" but since it's not, I won't.

In short the post you originally responded to was entirely sarcastic.

*sigh*

I realised that. But I also pointed out that the OP in his panic and desperation might actually take the advice!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No. They want the full insurance document All a receipt proves is that someone paid someone money

Advertisement