Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Smallholding - Advice Needed

Options
  • 17-04-2015 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I am finalising the purchase of a property with 11 acres which I intend to run as a small organic farm. However I have no farming experience. I intend to have a very small number or goats and sheep, a cow, pigs and chickens and ducks. I hoping to get a Kerry cow, Galway sheep and a family of Old Irish Goats all of which are endangered irish breeds. Does anyone have experience with these breeds inparticular?

I think complete self sufficiency will be a bit of a stretch but that it was I am aiming for. The house needs a lot of work but there is a barn and stables that are quite new.

Been a dream for a long time and been working pretty hard over last few years to save and make it happen. Hoping to leave the rat race in 5 years to concentrate on it full time.

Any advise you could pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

honky101 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am finalising the purchase of a property with 11 acres which I intend to run as a small organic farm. However I have no farming experience. I intend to have a very small number or goats and sheep, a cow, pigs and chickens and ducks. I hoping to get a Kerry cow, Galway sheep and a family of Old Irish Goats all of which are endangered irish breeds. Does anyone have experience with these breeds inparticular?

I think complete self sufficiency will be a bit of a stretch but that it was I am aiming for. The house needs a lot of work but there is a barn and stables that are quite new.

Been a dream for a long time and been working pretty hard over last few years to save and make it happen. Hoping to leave the rat race in 5 years to concentrate on it full time.

Any advise you could pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Where abouts in the country are you buying. The quality if land and length if winters vary hugely in this country and would have a big impact on your chances for self sufficiency.

I'm sure you've researched all the required herd numbers and what work you need to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

If you wish to have Organic Certification then I think you need to contact the DAFM http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmingsectors/organicfarming/ and/or organisation like IOFGA http://www.organicguide.ie/organic_certification or Organic Trust http://organictrust.ie/
    I am not trying to burst your bubble but since you have no farming/animal husbandry experience then I would suggest that you do a Ag course with Teagasc or a private company/online (if available), or get hands on experience with a drystock/dairy/sheep/veg farmer who is willing to take you on for either small payment or in lieu of lodgings & work. The latter is not easy to come across in Ireland :(
    Best of luck with your small holding and keep in touch.
    F&F is an excellent site for discussing all aspects of farming as the contributors are all active, day to day (worms and all) real life farmers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭OldRio

SILVAMAN wrote: »

Good choice. John Seymour is yer man.

Good luck with your venture. My only advice would be that it needs full commitment from everyone involved. There is a lot of hard work and time involved.
    It's tiring but rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

We're in a somewhat similar situation (though there is some farming in my husbands family) ...we've done a couple of courses with this lady http://www.smallholding.ie/ ...well worth checking out. Also give my vote to the Seymour book, if that doesn't get your juices flowing then nothing will :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭tattycat

I've a smallholding with poultry, goats, sheep, pigs, rabbits and a donkey. Also polytunnel and raised beds. You could come and stay for a week in our apartment for some real live experience! Come hail nd high weather!! Not for the fainthearted....it's a 1 bed apartment. I'm North Cavan.

Advertisement