Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myfitnesspal calories seem too low

Options
  • 16-04-2015 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭

I'm in reasonably good shape, train 3-5 times per week depending on how much time I have on my hands at about an hour and a half per session. Mostly weights, though I try to get in 3 20 minute cardio sessions too.

Up until now, I've just been trying to eat reasonably healthy without counting calories or anything, but it's come to the point where I'd like to drop another few % body fat, so I picked up this app as I've seen it recommended on here a few times.

I've been entering the exact ingredients I use in every meal, mostly thanks to the handy barcode scanning feature, and the exact amount I'm using as well, but the calories just seem to be insanely low?

For instance, I'm aiming to eat about 2200 calories daily, and today I've had:

Breakfast: 3x poached eggs(don't worry, I usually wouldn't have this many, I was just in a rush), 2x rye crackes, 100g cottage cheese, 20g chutney, 1x banana, 1 cup green tea = 520 calories

Lunch: Some strawberries & grapes, protein shake = 269 calories(I'm not usually very hungry around lunch, but this was a fairly small one)

Dinner: Chicken(fajita flavour) + brown rice: 400g chicken, fajita mix out of packet, 1x large onion, 2x bell peppers, 1x tin chopped tomatoes, 1x small tin kidney beans, 1 tbsp olive oil, 555g(cooked) brown rice = 610 calories per serving with 3 servings

I only drink water & green tea throughout the day, and I may have a small snack of some more fruit before I go to bed if I'm peckish. I wasn't at the gym today but usually I would have another protein shake after that if I did go

This all adds up to only 1400 calories(so far) or about 1650 if I had another shake & some fruit.

Have I been way undereating for a long time and not realising it? Or am I missing something obvious? Appreciate any help.

TL;DR added up calories seem too low on MyFitnessPal app, am I missing something obvious while adding them up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Seems about right. Breakfast count might be a bit low and lunch looks a bit high unless you're talking about two scoops but I wouldn't say it's way off. Though be wary of which option you take and make sure it's roughly the right calories macros etc. When I'm looking for fruit or veg on it I always add usda in the search. Usually a good proper option comes up with correct macros.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Cheers, I suppose I'll have to try and fit another meal in somewhere during the day, or expand the ones I currently have!

I'm just surprised that I've been maintaining weight as this is fairly typical of my diet, and it's a good bit below what my maintenance calories should be(80kg, 180cm tall, male).

I have been fairly partial to a scatter of pints at the weekend though, which I'd imagine is definitely a huge contributing factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,169 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Those figures look pretty much spot on tbh.
    You'd be surprised how a weekend on the year can wipe out a weeks good work.

Mellor wrote: »
    Those figures look pretty much spot on tbh.
    You'd be surprised how a weekend on the year can wipe out a weeks good work.

Yeah, I probably won't be drinking much over the next month or so in any case due to work commitments and exams so hopefully I should start to see a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Few pints blows it out of the water. Have you been putting the beer in? 8 pints works out at around 2000 calories. :eek:

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Few pints blows it out of the water. Have you been putting the beer in? 8 pints works out at around 2000 calories. :eek:

I knew it was high but didn't realise it was that high! I could easily have 10 pints over the course of the weekend if I'm out for a few. I wasn't too bothered before now because I was happy enough where I was, bust just trying to drop 4-5% now, I'll definitely take it easy on the pints so!

Have you got the app tied in with a pedometer at all? It's amazing the amount of steps you take each day that will go towards your calorie count. Been using Accupedo myself and find it good. The only thing is the calories used according to Accupedo are never the same on MFP.

Have you got the app tied in with a pedometer at all? It's amazing the amount of steps you take each day that will go towards your calorie count. Been using Accupedo myself and find it good. The only thing is the calories used according to Accupedo are never the same on MFP.

Incidental steps throughout the day shouldn't be added back in as they are already counted by your activity rate.

Mellor wrote: »
    Incidental steps throughout the day shouldn't be added back in as they are already counted by your activity rate.

I have my activity rate set at minimum and let the pedometer count because I walk a lot in work. I'd usually do 10k steps, sometimes 15 - not just pottering around.

I don't really do that much walking as I'm within 10 minutes of work, university and a supermarket so I think it'd be somewhat wasted on me to be honest, thanks for the tip anyway though!

• Advertisement

I have my activity rate set at minimum and let the pedometer count because I walk a lot in work. I'd usually do 10k steps, sometimes 15 - not just pottering around.
    I do 8-10k in an office job. So you might do a bit extra, but you are adding in all the steps. When the minimum allows for a certain sound of daily movement.

It's not a huge deal as the Cals aren't massive, but if they aren't needed it slow progress for OP.

Advertisement