Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting drunk on a diet?

Options
  • 16-04-2015 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Before I start I should probably mention that I rarely drink, if ever and the case described below will be one of these times.

So I've recently begun a diet which I've been successfully stuck to for the past 3 weeks plus (I think?) with positive results thankfully, however I have a friends birthday this Saturday and will be drinking amidst the celebrations, I'm just wondering what the least damaging drink might be? It would seem with a bit of googling red wine would be a top pick but I'd be quite interested in others thoughts? (Also aware that beer is seemingly the sin of all alchohol for weight loss...)
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Vodka and tonic water is the lowest calories possible. The calories are just from alcohol and not sugar in some beers and maybe wines

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Vodka and diet coke/7up.

The other thing to be wary of is, I've found that if I've had a heavy day of training the day I go drinking, the hangover tends to be so much worse! DOMS + hangover = hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,924 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

jenizzle wrote: »
    Vodka and diet coke/7up.

The other thing to be wary of is, I've found that if I've had a heavy day of training the day I go drinking, the hangover tends to be so much worse! DOMS + hangover = hell.

I also find my alcohol tolerance is roughly halved if training the day I go drinking.

jenizzle wrote: »
    Vodka and diet coke/7up.

You might be dehydrated before you were drinking. A lot of hungovers are caused by dehydration. Generally if I have pint or 2 of water after a night out with a bit of sugar and salt. Im usually pretty good the next day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Vodka and slimline tonic is your best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,583 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

This is like that episode of Operation Transformation.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Be prepared that the alcohol will hit you much much stronger than you are used to when you are on a diet.

Be prepared that the alcohol will hit you much much stronger than you are used to when you are on a diet.

Its probably down to the fact, that sugar in drink help you break down the sugar. I noticed I was a bit more buzzed over the summer when I used diet coke instead of juice with Vodka over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

hfallada wrote: »
    You might be dehydrated before you were drinking. A lot of hungovers are caused by dehydration. Generally if I have pint or 2 of water after a night out with a bit of sugar and salt. Im usually pretty good the next day

If you can cure yourself with water then you're not drinking enough (alcohol that is)

Not that I'm criticising your ability to drink in moderation as I am quite handicapped in this regard, but what I'm saying is a hangover is more than just dehydration, its actually mild alcohol poisoning (or not so mild ib The case of some of my binges!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I wouldn't worry about the alcohol (within reason) but watch out for the party snacks and the hangover food that night or the next day. Those will get you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement