Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym class question

Options
  • 15-04-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. I joined a gym to do TRX classes to gain strength and stamina for my (weather dependent) regular sport.

I'm the only bloke doing it! It's girls, lots of them and little old me. I find it a good work out, certainly helping, I'm familiar with strength training and it reminds me of circuit training I did years ago. The trainers know their beans and are attentive and push us in a professional manner.

What's with the lack of lads? Is it seen as girly?

(the girls are way better than me at it)

Thanks in advance.

Edit... this doesn't bother me, just curious...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

From what I have seen I think nearly all classes are mainly female orientated. I don't it's because the classes are seen as "girly". If I had to guess I'd say the main reason is that women tend to be more afraid/nervous/in-experienced in using weights and going to the weights section so doing a class that will build muscle is a bit easier for them. Most men, while nervous at first about weights, tend to find it much easier to walk into a weights room with many men there. I think a lot of guys would be put off by doing a class with nearly all women.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Question answered in one sentence. (more or less) Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Also to add to the above. Women are probably more interested in "toning". When the goal is adding strength, then its more effective to do weights based strength training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

"Toning" man that word annoys me.

I did a little TRX and found it to be a great work out, and will probably go back to it. I train in a martial arts gym, and many of the higher level guys use body weight exercises such as TRX over heavier weights based strength training.

As mentioned above the class structure in many commercial gyms aimed toward women, even as far as the music choice etc . I think many people feel more comfortable surround by peers and when someone is giving them exact instruction of what to do, if you are not very familiar with exercise it much easier to join a class, then get intimidated walking around a weights area full of dudes grunting and slamming weights on the floor.

There is still a lot of gender based stereotyping and misinformation when it comes to exercise for both men and women.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think i feel more at home with the lads grunting and clanging at this stage
    Went into the women's area recently and they were doing a lot of mat exercises and there was a yoga class in the hall underneath and it was all very quiet and peaceful and there i am stomping and grunting in the squat rack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

It depends on the type of class too. My place has boot camp type interval training in the mornings which is mainly but not solely women.
    It also does a mostly male 'caveman' training class which is the same thing but with battle ropes, prowlers, big tyres and sledgehammers etc.
    They both look hard but people's perceptions would make them gravitate towards one over the other

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think i feel more at home with the lads grunting and clanging at this stage
    Went into the women's area recently and they were doing a lot of mat exercises and there was a yoga class in the hall underneath and it was all very quiet and peaceful and there i am stomping and grunting in the squat rack

I like you.

"Toning" man that word annoys me.
    It used to annoy me too. Telling people there's no such thing, and toning and increased definition is just a function of being leaner.
    But after a while, I just decided to accept people's use of "toning", because I know that they mean - even if they don't know themselves.
    I did a little TRX and found it to be a great work out, and will probably go back to it. I train in a martial arts gym, and many of the higher level guys use body weight exercises such as TRX over heavier weights based strength training.
    I use TRX and rings a little. But for very specific stuff. I'm a big fan of bodyweight stuff for grappling. I've seen Conor doing muscle up on rings and similar stuff.
    But that kind of stuff is very different to the stuff I've seen in TRX classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mellor wrote: »
    It used to annoy me too. Telling people there's no such thing, and toning and increased definition is just a function of being leaner.
    But after a while, I just decided to accept people's use of "toning", because I know that they mean - even if they don't know themselves.

The problem is though, that it shows they don't understand the basic principles by which their body works and what how exercises/diet impacts it. So they do situps and get frustrated that their belly fat isn't going away, or they avoid resistance exercise because they don't want to get "too big".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I used to be one of those toning people too
    There's hope for us all!!

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    The problem is though, that it shows they don't understand the basic principles by which their body works and what how exercises/diet impacts it. So they do situps and get frustrated that their belly fat isn't going away, or they avoid resistance exercise because they don't want to get "too big".
    The first is a misunderstanding spot reduction, the second a misunderstanding of weight training. Not because they say they want to "tone up" instead if lose fat/gain muscle.
    I fully accept that toning isn't a thing. But I think its more effect to give solid advive rather than get hung up on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

don't need a class to learn to lift things up and put them down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

don't need a class to learn to lift things up and put them down

You'd be surprised, people with awful form injure themselves all the time doing weight training. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Bazzo wrote: »
    You'd be surprised, people with awful form injure themselves all the time doing weight training. :P

especially in classes with large numbers, no proper instruction and adding of extra weight/resitance when the basic form is poor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

I do classes because I like been told what to do. I've no problem with the weight section of the gym but find that at the end of the day getting in a decent workout without having to think is great, be it circuits, TRX or Kettlebells etc. There's a curtain efficiency about classes that I appreciate as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Slightly off topic, but is TRX actually strength training? I've never even watched a class but assume it's actually high intensity cardio.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but is TRX actually strength training? I've never even watched a class but assume it's actually high intensity cardio.

I've seen TRX or variants of it and I'd say it's more on the side of strength than cardio.

I did a few classes years ago. We did rows and elevated push ups and squatting with weights as supersets and loads more i don't remember
    Like a combo of resistance and conditioning i spose
    Wouldn't call it cardio
    I used to be totally unable to walk up the stairs when i got home lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

bluewolf wrote: »
    I did a few classes years ago. We did rows and elevated push ups and squatting with weights as supersets and loads more i don't remember
    Like a combo of resistance and conditioning i spose
    Wouldn't call it cardio
    I used to be totally unable to walk up the stairs when i got home lol

What would the rep range have been?

Curious as the missus loves classes, she's doing that Rip 60 at the moment. Seems to be very good cardio, with. A minor strength element.

I do have concerns about strength training in classes. The drive is to get everything done it a hurry not necessarily with the right form.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »
    I do have concerns about strength training in classes. The drive is to get everything done it a hurry not necessarily with the right form.

I suppose you can make the strength element easier depending on the body angle.

When I've seen the Rip 60 classes in the gym, the hurrying was between exercises rather than banging out token 'reps' at speed for the sake of doing more. Depends on the trainer I suppose.

• Advertisement

It was done by time not reps for us

It's true some of those pump and tone classes can be dodgy. A friend does them and was concerned til i told her to drop her weight she was squatting with and never mind what everyone else used. One instructor seems to care about form and giving people time to set up properly or something but another doesn't and it gets very iffy

That's based on hearsay i wasn't there. Just meant nobody in the actual class seemed to say hey you should a lighter one til you know how to do this

Advertisement