Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So my young lad.....

Options
  • 15-04-2015 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

....came home with this today.

Mum walks in to three kids around a broken glass.

Liam says he didn't do it.

Ciara says Charlotte did it.

Charlotte says Ciara is lying.

Who is telling the truth?

Is that right how he asked me? Says his teacher wouldn't give the answer!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 speakelton

Did he get an answer today? Was he asking it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

If only one person is telling the truth, then I think Liam did it, and only Charlotte is telling the truth about it.

Liam says he didn't do it, so it was either Ciara or Charlotte.
    Ciara says it was Charlotte, so it can't be Liam or Ciara.
    Charlotte says Ciara is lying, so in other words either Liam or Ciara did it, but not her (Charlotte).

There's only one situation where only one person says that a particular person did it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

They are all lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I assume there's only supposed to be one kid telling the truth? I think there's only one scenario where you can have two liars and one honest person, but I've been awake for 21 hours, so there's a good chance this is wrong:
    Liam says he didn't do it. Ciara says Charlotte did it. Charlotte says Ciara is lying.

If Charlotte broke the glass:
    Liam is being honest saying he didn't. Ciara is being honest blaming Charlotte. Charlotte is lying by denying Ciara's correct accusation. Two truths, one lie.

If Ciara broke the glass:
    Ciara is lying by blaming Charlotte. Charlotte is being honest by calling Ciara a liar for blaming Charlotte when Ciara was responsible. Liam is also being honest as he wasn't guilty. Two truths, one lie.

If Liam broke the glass:
    Liam is lying saying he didn't. Ciara is lying by blaming Charlotte. Charlotte is being honest by denying the false accusation. Two lies, one truth.

So Charlotte is the only one telling the truth?

Of course, if you can have more than one person telling the truth, that's all out the window...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is that right how he asked me? Says his teacher wouldn't give the answer!!

He is probably missing a part about there being only one person telling the truth.
    If that's case its Charlotte is telling the truth. But if two truth tellers is possible, then there's no solution.
    Dozer Dave wrote:
    They are all lying.
    Not possible. Charlotte says Ciara is lying, so only one of them can ever be lying.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Not possible. Charlotte says Ciara is lying, so only one of them can ever be lying.

Why not, Charlotte could be telling lies.

Of course she could, but read what Charlotte said again - "Ciara is lying"
    If Charlotte is lying, then Ciara isn't lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

charlotte is a liar

ciara is honest

liam did it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If it was my mother 25 years ago we'd all get a visit from the wooden spoon. The guilty person got punished and the other 2 got a reminder to tow the line.

Mellor wrote: »
    If Charlotte is lying, then Ciara isn't lying.

Ciara could be lying.

• Advertisement

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Ciara could be lying.
    And if she is, that means Charlotte is telling. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Ciara could be lying.

Out of two people with questionable honesty, if A accuses B of something, and then B accuses A of being a liar, only one of them can be telling the truth.

If A's accusation is true, then B's claim A is lying is false.
    If A's accusation is false, then B's claim A is lying is true.

If B's claim A is lying is false, then A's accusation must be true.
    If B's claim A is lying is true, then A is in fact a liar.

You don't automatically know which one is the liar from this, but you know that one of them definitely is a liar.

Advertisement