Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is sub3 realistic for me for this year's DCM?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭40whit

Just having a quick read through here guys and i think speed training is essential, its a big part i neglected in my training and although I was a 1:27 half runner closest I got to 3 on a marathon was 3:08 (30 attempys) Just logging miles for the sake of it doesn't work.

Training has to be focused with at least one tempo and one interval session a week as well as a long run and medium long run, ive had great benefit also from doing 3 doubles a week, hard run in the morning and recover in the evening run.

Personally with doing these sessions I've gone from 1:27 half to 1:20 and completed sub 3 with hopes of sub 2:50 this sunday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I guess it depends on the person but seems like an awful lot of quality, 2 sessions + long run + MLR every week. I don't think my body could cope.

adrian522 wrote:
    I guess it depends on the person but seems like an awful lot of quality, 2 sessions + long run + MLR every week. I don't think my body could cope.

Yes a lot of sessions but then recovery sessions are exactly that, one run a week of 5/6 miles @9 min miles and easy sessions between 7:30-8:00

Steady runs between 6:45-7:15

Marathon pace runs 6:30

Tempo runs 6:00-6:15

Intervals depending on distance <6:00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭ooter

40whit wrote: »
    Just having a quick read through here guys and i think speed training is essential, its a big part i neglected in my training and although I was a 1:27 half runner closest I got to 3 on a marathon was 3:08 (30 attempys) Just logging miles for the sake of it doesn't work.

Training has to be focused with at least one tempo and one interval session a week as well as a long run and medium long run, ive had great benefit also from doing 3 doubles a week, hard run in the morning and recover in the evening run.

Personally with doing these sessions I've gone from 1:27 half to 1:20 and completed sub 3 with hopes of sub 2:50 this sunday.

Jesus 30 attempts,well done for finally getting there 40whit. What sort of weekly mileage were you doing in the build up to your sub 3 marathon and what pace were you doing your MP runs at?

ooter wrote:
    Jesus 30 attempts,well done for finally getting there 40whit. What sort of weekly mileage were you doing in the build up to your sub 3 marathon and what pace were you doing your MP runs at?

Yeah 30 attempts but made the mistake of too much too soon, got the bug and ran a marathon before I'd even done a 5km, in fact 11 before I did a 5km.

Ran 17 the following year including some ultras so training was all over the place really, I was basically just plodding along.

Took a 9 month sabbatical and came back focused and fired up.

For my sub 3 was running roughly 55-60 miles per week but made sure to hit key sessions, am now up to 75-80 per week with double days.

Marathon pace sessions were 6:45 pace at the time, now 6:30.

To be honest didn't expect sub 3 on that mileage but obviously marathon pace miles and key sessions played a huge part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Yeah 30 attempts but made the mistake of too much too soon, got the bug and ran a marathon before I'd even done a 5km, in fact 11 before I did a 5km.

Ran 17 the following year including some ultras so training was all over the place really, I was basically just plodding along.

Took a 9 month sabbatical and came back focused and fired up.

For my sub 3 was running roughly 55-60 miles per week but made sure to hit key sessions, am now up to 75-80 per week with double days.

To be honest didn't expect sub 3 on that mileage but obviously marathon pace miles and key sessions played a huge part.

Hi 40whit

Did you use your own plan for the sub 3 or did you use a recognised plan (eg. daniels, P&D etc)...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭ooter

Thanks,good info.

PDCAT wrote:
    Did you use your own plan for the sub 3 or did you use a recognised plan (eg. daniels, P&D etc)...

Hey PDCAT didn't use a set programme as such from a book, I looked into sub 3 plans on the internet and just did up my own plan, I will though probably try one of the p&d ones for dublin later in the year and see how it goes though as they seem very popular especially on boards they seem to be highly recommended.

ooter wrote:
    Thanks,good info.

No problem at all hopefully things go well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Any clue where the sub3 support thread is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

echancrure wrote: »
    Any clue where the sub3 support thread is?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055617191

• Advertisement
Advertisement