Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadetship Competitions 2015

Options
  • 15-04-2015 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Has anyone entered the Cadetship competition that has just opened? I'm going for the Army myself. I had thought about it for a number of years but decided to go for it this year. I'm in the 3rd year of a 4 year degree so won't receive the extra 10% marks at the interview stage but hoping to still get it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Designator

Ive applied for it myself, finished my degree in Transport Management and Technology in 2013 and soon found out that office jobs were not for me, Ive applied for the Air Corps Cadetship as its always been a massive dream of mine, but seeing as places are limited to 9 for the air corps Im thinking of also applying for the naval service and army cadetships, my dad was a commandant and suggested I apply for them all so fingers crossed. Does anyone know how many places are up for grabs for the Army and Naval cadetships? I imagine its more than the Air Corps?

Also what is the extra 10% marks about that your talking about?
    Is it for people that already hold degrees that they are awarded extra marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TomRoche2412

In the competition document it states that graduates of a level 8 degree are subject to a bonus 10% marks at the Interview stage of the competition. Unfortunately my military career has been cut short due to eyesight requirements. The Army requirement is 6/18 unaided and I tested 6/22 last week.

I see, well mines just level 7 but hopefully its something anyway.
    Did you go for the eye test yourself? Do they not send you for one at the induction process?

I went for the test myself. I always wore glasses but never impeded me at all, played all sorts of sports. It was pointed it to me by a guy I know in the Navy just so I could be sure but there seems to be no way around it. It would be spotted if I had made it to the medical stage of the competition. Best of luck anyway. Great career if you get it.

• Advertisement

Awful the way one thing can count you out completely! thanks man! Do you have any idea how many places are available for the army cadetship ? or the naval one?

It's usually around 20 or so for the army and about 16 for the Navy but I wouldn't be an informed source on class intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

I went for the test myself. I always wore glasses but never impeded me at all, played all sorts of sports. It was pointed it to me by a guy I know in the Navy just so I could be sure but there seems to be no way around it. It would be spotted if I had made it to the medical stage of the competition. Best of luck anyway. Great career if you get it.

Probably of little consolation for the time being but the Medical Corps are currently reviewing their ban/exclusion of recruits who've had laser eye surgery done.

In the UK, they allow applicants who've done this (as long as it wasn't within the past 12 months. There was a question asked about this in the Dail some months back and, like I say, it's under review.

So keep your eyes peeled (pun intended) for updates on that for future recruitment campaigns. All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

I want to enter but I am 28. Is this too old. I will be 29 in Nov.

I want to enter but I am 28. Is this too old. I will be 29 in Nov.

Afraid so, Young Blood - applicant information document states you must: "Be 18 years of age or above and under 28 years of age on the closing date for receipt of applications, 1 May 2015".

If you've relevant professional qualifications, you might be able to apply as a Direct Entry Officer as/when the vacancies arise.

Otherwise, you can apply for the Army or Naval Reserves up until your 35th birthday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tomato1988

11811seanc wrote: »
    Hey,

does anyone know, on average how many go on to stage 2 and from that then onto stage 3 of the competition?

What's involved in stage 2, the group exercise bit, like how big is the group?

6 or so in the groups last year

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭spl99

Applied for it too, just finishing school now so I know my chances are a hell of a lot slimmer than others due to my severe lack of experience or education but no harm in trying I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

Anyone know how many applied for the army cadetship?

Bound to be in the thousands...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FatherlyNick

Did anyone get the psych test results yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mallow98

what were the psychometric tests like ?

mallow98 wrote: »
    what were the psychometric tests like ?

Not too bad. numerical was my best section I think.

would you have enough time or would you be rushing some of them ?

mallow98 wrote: »
    would you have enough time or would you be rushing some of them ?

Tried to answer as much as I could under the given time constraint. If I was spending more than 10 seconds on a question, I just rushed it.

thanks for the reply, good luck with the competition!

• Advertisement

Nope, heard nothing back about this competition. However, the email I got from the navy said that the tests were being released on the 1st of July, not sure if thats the same for the cadet competition though.

Don't know if this is of any use but a friend of mine in the RDF received an invitation to interview for the navy there just yesterday. Maybe some of ye'll receive something similar over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Don't know if this is of any use but a friend of mine in the RDF received an invitation to interview for the navy there just yesterday. Maybe some of ye'll receive something similar over the next few days.
    That for general service. I got mine yesterday as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Muiris96

Does anyone know what we are to expect during our overnight in the curragh?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You'll do the fitness test in the morning, then a group assessment and a set of presentations from the current cadet class as well as currently serving young officers.

Do we re-do the psychometric test in the curragh?
    I have heard rumours that some people did it supervised a couple of days before they went to the curragh!

Muiris96 wrote: »
    Do we re-do the psychometric test in the curragh?
    I have heard rumours that some people did it supervised a couple of days before they went to the curragh!

Last year the resits were down in the curragh on the first day of the overnight assessment

You think we will here the results sometime this week or next week?

Muiris96 wrote: »
    You think we will here the results sometime this week or next week?

I certainly hope so.

• Advertisement

Got the email there about the next stage of the army Cadetship

Advertisement