Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support sessions

Options
  • 14-04-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Communications have been put out that say if applicants fail the PCA on the first try you get to try again in 12 weeks but they will put support sessions in place to help you.... Anyone got any ideas as to what this might entail?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

What communications do you refer to? I'd imagine its a training leaflet saying run more lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jalapeno peppers

Keyboard warrior had put through a FOI request and gotten this answer:

Adverts | Friends
    Hello all.

I received an FOI response back from the Service early this morning. Figured I might as well share one or two points.

1. What decision have PSNI reached regarding possible amendments to the PCA stage of recruitment?

A: PSNI will introduce one PCA Re-test into the current format of the PCA pre-entry stage of the Recruitment Process and provide PCA Support Sessions to all candidates who are unsuccessful during the PCA test.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

Keyboard warrior had put through a FOI request and gotten this answer:

Adverts | Friends
    Hello all.

I received an FOI response back from the Service early this morning. Figured I might as well share one or two points.

1. What decision have PSNI reached regarding possible amendments to the PCA stage of recruitment?

A: PSNI will introduce one PCA Re-test into the current format of the PCA pre-entry stage of the Recruitment Process and provide PCA Support Sessions to all candidates who are unsuccessful during the PCA test.

I was just about to post this!! I think we'll find out at the familiarisation session what the support sessions will be if any.

See when I think support sessions I'm thinking of personal training :P but I doubt they'd ibvest that much in people before job offers were actually made

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭The keyboard warrior

There was no further clarification on what form of support they would offer.

I think I would struggle to attend any additional pt sessions - if that's what they were intending to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭QueenP

They are advertising for a PTI, an employee support officer and a medical advisor!! Saw it on Facebook! That may have something to do with it :)

I saw that too- very possibly, or they could be to do with an actual GV intake! To be honest I am fairly happy to travel wherever I need to go- it's been a year now- whatever it takes to get in now... I thought my interest would have started to fall with things taking so long but it's only made me want it more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

More than likely due to financial constraints I'd say it's not PT sessions. I think they'll look at what let you down and advise you on a training method(s) to improve over the 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭QueenP

For someone who was so close to passing last time this news is somewhat frustrating lol. I know nothing can be done now like but it's like rubbing salt in your wounds lol

Well you will get another chance at it if you put in again this year... To be fair the salary is also a fair bit lower this year so it's not the only thing that's been inconsistent... To be fair id probably still do this job for less it's all I want to do and if I let the opportunity go by I will be so annoyed at myself

• Advertisement

I think the lowering of the salary was a good move; it will deter those who are joining for the money and not the career. The money isn't worth it clearly, everyone would agree with the **** you've to put up with however its the career, helping people when they are most in need is what counts.

I think the PCA thing will be some advice on what you done wrong and how to improve. I'd imagine the PT they are recruiting are for those in GV and beyond.

I find it hard to believe anyone who isn't passionate about it would go this far in the application process given that it's so long and stressful... But I suppose it wouldn't be stressful if you didn't really want the job, it's all I have ever wanted to do- always wanted a job where you can make a real difference, it makes my blood boil hearing about people getting in and then giving up during GV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I think some people apply to "keep options open" I know of some people who are in the teaching profession and had applied for the police for the "mean time" they didn't get through to where we are mind you, so you will get folks with that mentality applying and I suppose there is nothing wrong with that, but as said it's when they make it to the "offer" and don't show or reject the offer.

I believe some people get cold feet last minute and think maybe this isn't for me, the pay at the start may not be the best of salaries that being said it does go up incremental quite quickly in 7 years you'll be earning top dollar, but again some people can't take the financial cut especially with families at the start, the first 2-3 years it's decent money but not so much if you have a family. Suppose it's all relevant lol. Support sessions I believe it will be like a debrief of where you went wrong and what to do to imrpove, I can't imagine it would be physical sessions, too time consuming and financially consuming. Again just a total guess on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭countrycop

Out of curiosity do you think for those that fail they'll wait until they have had a second chance before sending out more medical dates to the below 78% or will they send them out imbetween?

countrycop wrote: »
    Out of curiosity do you think for those that fail they'll wait until they have had a second chance before sending out more medical dates to the below 78% or will they send them out imbetween?

They will send them out mate I'm sure of that, nobody is appointable until they pass all the remaining stages, 12 weeks is 3 months, they will want to have recruits ready to go each month, July/August is when I heard the first squad starts. I reckon those who have to retest will either be put in with folks say who are only doing it for the first time, or either separate pca's. So you could have squads with people with a 78 who had to retest with people with ac scores at 71 or whatever. If they were to wait say, you would have huge gaps of squads in garnerville, they will want a flow of recruits coming out, I know for a fact more are retiring/leaving than they expect, if you keep an eye on the strength of statistics on the psni website, squads that pass out aren't even covering retirements so more are retiring/leaving in some months than recruits are coming in. if that makes sense at all lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭countrycop

well that could be promising ! between that and the fact they are looking to take on 230 instead of 100 things are looking slightly more positive for us below 78% , mind you still a brutal wait ahead.

countrycop wrote: »
    well that could be promising ! between that and the fact they are looking to take on 230 instead of 100 things are looking slightly more positive for us below 78% , mind you still a brutal wait ahead.

Without a doubt, 230 is good, what we need is peaceful months and a peaceful 12th so money isnt thrown down the tube on policing unnecessary disruption. I really believe they will take on more if they can I hope so anyway. Just more so that everyone doesn't have to fret about will I make it or not, would be a massive relief if that was the case for everyone. The HMIC report is due to be finalised at the end of this month, which will give detail of what and where the psni going for the next few years, I.e. a balanced budget and figures. The report that was ran by the HMIC said the psni budget etc does not meet operational means so they are going to have to change things which is what they are doing as we speak.

One consolation is it did state the psni is under unique circumstances dealing with a terrorist threat on a daily occurance which has to be taken into consideration which is a positive, I.e. it recognises the strain the psni faces in your non typical policing role. Someone actually posted a link to it on here, which I can't find for the life of me. Hopefully the number to be recruited goes up, as long as it doesn't go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

Also remember that you get over £3000 for "danger money" split up into your pay over the year as well.

Hi guys I was at the session today and asked a few questions about the support questions. From the PTIs mouth the answer came ; -

1. There will be an allocated day each month your allowed to come up and run around the full pca course once.
    2. They will on the back of that give you feedback at these sessions.
    3. There will also be a training program for those who have failed. Don't know if its the same one as everyone gets with their invites or not.

Enjoyed the visit nice to meet some of the people going through the process. All male today, 28 at mine. All female tomorrow apparently....

Now on that... why would they hold different gender sessions... unless they plan to 'relax' things for females more so? For example maybe the kettle bells are lighter.... maybe the drag bag is lighter... maybe if your foot lands outside this box, or touches this mat its ok... if you knock down a cone its ok... Just thinking out loud but why else would they have it separate?

I can't see the standards being different for females. They specifically stated that there were no amendments to the course itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    Hi guys I was at the session today and asked a few questions about the support questions. From the PTIs mouth the answer came ; -

1. There will be an allocated day each month your allowed to come up and run around the full pca course once.
    2. They will on the back of that give you feedback at these sessions.
    3. There will also be a training program for those who have failed. Don't know if its the same one as everyone gets with their invites or not.

Enjoyed the visit nice to meet some of the people going through the process. All male today, 28 at mine. All female tomorrow apparently....

Now on that... why would they hold different gender sessions... unless they plan to 'relax' things for females more so? For example maybe the kettle bells are lighter.... maybe the drag bag is lighter... maybe if your foot lands outside this box, or touches this mat its ok... if you knock down a cone its ok... Just thinking out loud but why else would they have it separate?

Thats a good bit of support! Camp 1 had mixed PCA's so i find it strange that they would split it up unless they intended to be more lenient towards females? They would however have to annouce this publicly, surely?

I don't think they would have to announce anything to the public. Male one day female the other. You don't know your time, your not allowed to time it, you don't know your push pull and your told at the end if you passed or failed it. There is a big grey area here that can easily be swayed towards letting more females into the force.

Not that I am saying it will happen, its my thoughts that it COULD happen. Been getting it in the neck recently about females and representation of the population.... 'pale,male and grey' I think the Belfast Tele ran a story on it today.

You are told your PCA time the first week of GV and expected to beat it, so that would be their unwinding? Take the army for example, their basic fitness test is different for males and females, and it is clearly outlined what is expected. As a basis of equality and fairness, id have thought they would have to make it known as to what females are expected to run the course in! Im sure you'll all find out soon enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

I doubt the organisation would, off the record, change anything for females. It would just be litigation waiting to happen.

It's probably to focus on what areas of the course the most mistakes are made by females (cone weave and body drag apparently) and on the push/pull.

Yes your told you time, which is fine. However what if you knock a few cones down and its not noticed, or your not penalized? What if rather than 8kg kettle bells females get 6? What if their foot is touching the mat but the jump still counts.

My point is just my opinion, there is PLENTY of grey room they can help people or not punish them for small mistakes which would take time from their PCA. No question of doubt here... its IF they will do it or not.

EDIT:- I am just thinking out loud with this here guys.....

I’m afraid I will have to disagree. I’m not particularly sure that your ‘thinking out loud’ is constructive, Kev.

The PSNI have stated that there is to be no changes to the course time or push/pull for either male or female candidates. I know that if I undertake a PCA, and manage to pass, then it will be down to the months of preparation I have put in.

I would not like to think that my male counterparts would be trying to belittle my success by suggesting I somehow had it easier.

In all honesty, they could already ignore you knocking over a cone etc becuase you are in the gym alone until approx your last lap when the next person is bought in, but you dont get to really see what they are doing cause the PTI is talking to you.

You are right, there is a huge grey area, and it seems slightly fishy. However, as Sthm said, that is litigation waiting to happen and the last thing the PSNI would want, especially as they take pride in their transparancy as a force!

The only other option is that it could have been split due to feed back from previous PCA's? Likewise, whilst they are under pressure to increase female representation in the force, i cant imagine that they would bring through people who simply arent up to the job physically. The basic test is there for a reason and they will know better than anyone the implications of cutting corners on it.

I guess at the end of it, you're better off just focusing on your laps. Forget everyone else and what they might be doing. This is your chance to take, so focus and take it! I have to admit, im not looking forward to seeing that darned course again at the end of GV! Good luck to you all!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator post:

Please keep this on topic folks.

Thanks.

Yeah your right there is already a big grey area, I just thought it a bit strange it was male only this morning. Hey that could be just the fact the people there were male only.... might be half and half this afternoon and someone will come on and say that who knows. Maybe they are male and female sessions to say to the females this is what most fail on, this is your supposed to do it.

Exactly I will focus on my own laps and my own training and hopefully its enough. I don't think they will let people in who are not fit for the job at the end of the day.

Edit;- Back on topic, quite a good support set up for those who fail. A run through and feedback is to be welcomed by all I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Kettle bells are 8kg each since your kit bags are 16kg, the bag drag is half the weight of a body so you and a partner can pull someone away. I can't see how it would be useful to change these aspects of the PCA since they can't be changing those aspects of the job. Maybe it's something as simple as they want to focus girls on the weaker areas and give feedback at the PCA this time, taking more time to see what everyone is doing to train. Not sure. Maybe the girls are getting a few sec more than th boys

Advertisement