Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Expensive insurance (young new driver)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭emeldc

nerobert wrote: »
    Here is the original screen shot for anyone interested.

OP my young lad is the same age as you. This is his quote on a 1.4 Astra from AXA :D

Your quote is
    €6126.24
    Just €918.93 deposit and €617.44 monthly
    for 9 months (APR17.04%)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

As mentioned, only real way is to get insured as a named driver on parents policy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I got silly quotes from insurers every year despite being fully licensed and having 5 or more years ncb.

I've paid 2700-2800 to insure a powerful Seicento on provisional when I was over 25 years old. 5-6 years ago.
    1300 next year, 800 year after. These quotes go downhill after the first year.

The first year is the worst and the OP is 17 yo. Get some lessons op, try to pass the test asap and you will be fine (you will be robbed but not as much as you are now;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Skatedude wrote: »
    As mentioned, only real way is to get insured as a named driver on parents policy

Many insurance companies are aware of this these days which is called fronting, they will just load whoever is the highest risk on the policy whether it be the main driver or a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

bazz26 wrote: »
    Many insurance companies are aware of this these days which is called fronting, they will just load whoever is the highest risk on the policy whether it be the main driver or a named driver.

Not to mention that 1 year ncb is worth more than 5 years on parents policy.

If you want to drive you have to think long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭9935452

I agree. Get named on your parents car. Get experience with them and get lessons and get the full license.
    As it stands you cant drive on your own . The full licensed driver must hold their license for at least 2 years so that probably rules out a lot of your friends.
    Unless you have 3 grand extra to spare

9935452 wrote: »
    I agree. Get named on your parents car. Get experience with them and get lessons and get the full license.
    As it stands you cant drive on your own . The full licensed driver must hold their license for at least 2 years so that probably rules out a lot of your friends.
    Unless you have 3 grand extra to spare

I already have one darling offspring as a named driver on one of 'my cars'. Most, if not all insurance companies will ask if I have insurance on any other vehicle (which I do). I would have to lie about this in order to insure the second young lad on a different car. When it comes to insurance I think you're better off telling the truth. When you have a problem, as sure as eggs is eggs, they wont pay.

emeldc wrote: »
    I already have one darling offspring as a named driver on one of 'my cars'. Most, if not all insurance companies will ask if I have insurance on any other vehicle (which I do). I would have to lie about this in order to insure the second young lad on a different car. When it comes to insurance I think you're better off telling the truth. When you have a problem, as sure as eggs is eggs, they wont pay.

I completely agree, but im saying genuinely get named on a parents car , not the parent get a new car for the offspring and insure and tax it for them.
    Its not worth lying to them. They will pay third party liability but will pursue you for the costs.

When i learned to drive i was named on my parents only car. Where they went, i drove and did the test and passed and got my own car eventually.
    Thats what im saying the op should do

I completely agree, but im saying genuinely get named on a parents car , not the parent get a new car for the offspring and insure and tax it for them.
    Its not worth lying to them. They will pay third party liability but will pursue you for the costs.

When i learned to drive i was named on my parents only car. Where they went, i drove and did the test and passed and got my own car eventually.
    Thats what im saying the op should do

It's a mint condition E46. He can fuggin' walk or get the bus :D

It's a mint condition E46. He can fuggin' walk or get the bus :D
    Whats the second car ? Surely you could have the two of them insured on the same car

• Advertisement

Whats the second car ? Surely you could have the two of them insured on the same car

Yea, the other one is a Golf but the whole sharing thing wouldn't really work with college and work schedules etc. I'm hoping the older of the two will get his test on the next go and get his own insurance and then I can start all over again with the younger lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ice.cube

OP my young lad is the same age as you. This is his quote on a 1.4 Astra from AXA :D

Your quote is
    €6126.24
    Just €918.93 deposit and €617.44 monthly
    for 9 months (APR17.04%)

That is some price to get a young person driving. I remember a few years ago I started out at €2800 with Axa, 1.4 Opel Astra, 3rd party fire and theft on a fresh provisional licence at 17 years of age. It reduced quite dramatically year on year with the help on a full licence. Check up about a student policy with Axa. I got 0% finance and I believe they applied my no claims bonus every quarter rather then waiting for next years quote to get your discount.

ice.cube wrote: »
    That is some price to get a young person driving. I remember a few years ago I started out at €2800 with Axa, 1.4 Opel Astra, 3rd party fire and theft on a fresh provisional licence at 17 years of age. It reduced quite dramatically year on year with the help on a full licence. Check up about a student policy with Axa. I got 0% finance and I believe they applied my no claims bonus every quarter rather then waiting for next years quote to get your discount.

That was actually the cheaper quote. Liberty was €6288 :eek:
    Boxymo.ie quoted around €2K with the tracker thingy fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Darraghmh91.

In 24 years old with a full licence and going onto 4 years ncb and for me to insure my 1991 starlet got turbo at third party only it's costing me 1500
    No other company wants to know the car as its too old but it's weird cause the car gets better results in the nct than 00+ cars and only 100k on the clock with emissions at 0.01 on low idle
    Old cars are bomb proof and will be on the road another 20+ years no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ice.cube

That was actually the cheaper quote. Liberty was €6288 :eek:
    Boxymo.ie quoted around €2K with the tracker thingy fitted.

Do you know how many km he will be allowed to drive in the year with Boxymo? I see the safer you are the more allowance you get. I wouldn't really be a fan of them reducing my score for night time driving especially if one worked in a pub and traveled home late frequently.

In 24 years old with a full licence and going onto 4 years ncb and for me to insure my 1991 starlet got turbo at third party only it's costing me 1500
    No other company wants to know the car as its too old but it's weird cause the car gets better results in the nct than 00+ cars and only 100k on the clock with emissions at 0.01 on low idle
    Old cars are bomb proof and will be on the road another 20+ years no problem

I dont think insurance companys care about emissions.
    They would be looking at things like safety. What sort of rating would your car get in the euro ncap ratings versus a modern car.
    Its annoying how a car reaches 20 years old an insurance company doesnt want to know.
    Did you every think of classic car insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Darraghmh91.

I dont think insurance companys care about emissions.
    They would be looking at things like safety. What sort of rating would your car get in the euro ncap ratings versus a modern car.
    Its annoying how a car reaches 20 years old an insurance company doesnt want to know.
    Did you every think of classic car insurance

Ahh I know that they dont care about emissions I was just making the point that it's a very healthy reliable car but it doesn't help at all it's just an old car to them Yano
    If they were to know what kind of work and money went into this car they would have no problem insuring it ha
    If I want classic in only allowed like 3000 a year milage and stuff and wound need to insure another car as a daily for paper work Yano .. Ahh I'll pay the 1500 that's what it takes so I don't mind

ice.cube wrote: »
    Do you know how many km he will be allowed to drive in the year with Boxymo? I see the safer you are the more allowance you get. I wouldn't really be a fan of them reducing my score for night time driving especially if one worked in a pub and traveled home late frequently.

That quote (€2107) was for 10000km with max bonus km's of 3600. As far as I can make out you get the bonus km's if you drive well but you don't get penalized on the 10k if you fcuk up. Those Km's are guaranteed. It doesn't matter when or where you cover them.
    I assume if you are continually breaking speed limits or crossing white lines etc, the black box will record this and hit you in the pocket for your second premium but TBH I didn't look into it too much yet.

Ahh I know that they dont care about emissions I was just making the point that it's a very healthy reliable car but it doesn't help at all it's just an old car to them Yano
    If they were to know what kind of work and money went into this car they would have no problem insuring it ha
    If I want classic in only allowed like 3000 a year milage and stuff and wound need to insure another car as a daily for paper work Yano .. Ahh I'll pay the 1500 that's what it takes so I don't mind

AFAIK you can do 5000 miles on a classic policy.
    There is a poster on here who has a BMW on a classic car policy . Its his only car and the insurance know this is his main daily driver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I'm 23 this year a 4 year ncb with First Ireland.. I'm paying about 750 on a 98 audi 1.9tdi.. not bad really?

• Advertisement
Advertisement