Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

metabolism of a snail

Options
  • 13-04-2015 2:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25

So last week I did a strict diet as a boost before embarking on a normal diet, it's called the chemical diet, my boyfriend did it to support me and his parents did it because they are really overweight, now I'm not extremely overweight, I eat well, think the portions were to big, get regular exercise and where I work is all stairs so muscles in my legs are awesome! So basically my boyfriend who was lenient on this diet, no real exercise and lost 8 pounds, his parents who sit in the house all day lost 9 and ten pounds, I lost 5 pounds...and stuck to it rreligiously.. Has anybody got any ways of boosting metabolism, I have Googled things but you don't know if it's just what's in fashion at the minute, and I know I should be patient, but it's just not fair!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

nashipear wrote: »
    So last week I did a strict diet as a boost before embarking on a normal diet, it's called the chemical diet, my boyfriend did it to support me and his parents did it because they are really overweight, now I'm not extremely overweight, I eat well, think the portions were to big, get regular exercise and where I work is all stairs so muscles in my legs are awesome! So basically my boyfriend who was lenient on this diet, no real exercise and lost 8 pounds, his parents who sit in the house all day lost 9 and ten pounds, I lost 5 pounds...and stuck to it rreligiously.. Has anybody got any ways of boosting metabolism, I have Googled things but you don't know if it's just what's in fashion at the minute, and I know I should be patient, but it's just not fair!!

Just because other people lost more means nothing. If they were, in every way, the same as you then it might be something. But people with different physical make-ups won't respond the exact same to the same diet.

You lost five pounds. If no one else had done it, you'd be pretty happy with that.

Just eat healthily most of the time, proper portions and maintain some exercise.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Most peoples metabolism are very similar. Its all about energy balance. You need to eat less calories than you burn and not follow some fad "chemical diet"

How much does your boyfriend weigh? How much do you weigh?

Chances are he has a much higher energy demand than you. So if you both followed this same "diet" and had similar portions then he would obviously lose more weight than you. He created a bigger calorie deficit than you just by being bigger and male.

Learn about proper nutrition, eat real food. Figure out your calorie requirements, eat consistently less than that to lose weight

Nutrition Sticky

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5 donnatrust

I know its not fair! I've watched my husband literally skip a meal and lose 5lbs while I skip one and gain 20lbs. Just hang in there, you're doing great!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 nashipear

Thanks, I'm just keeping it in my head that the faster you lose it the faster it goes on, just hope I have my bikini body ready by summer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

his parents who sit in the house all day lost 9 and ten pounds, I lost 5 pounds...
    his parents did it because they are really overweight, now I'm not extremely overweight,
    This is why they lost more weight that you. They are very overweight, you aren't.

But the reality is that they didn't actually lose 10lbs, nor you 5lbs. Most of that of dehydrated water from eating very little. I've seen the chemical diet, its terrible. Do it for two weeks you might "lose" 8lbs. And what will happen is that you'll go back to eating normal, and rehydrate 4 or 5 of those lbs. And you be disappointed and complain that your metabolism has "slowed down or been damaged"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crestglan

I have an underactive thyroid so my metabolism is always low one way of boosting i found is juicing I bought a juicer and juice fruit and veg and add vit C powder have loads of more energy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 nashipear

Ok I have a juicer, just hate cleaning it afterwards haha thanks, I'll start using it though

The cleaning is annoying alright Maybe we should get dyson to invent some kind of magic cleaning tool

Ok I have a juicer, just hate cleaning it afterwards haha thanks, I'll start using it though
    Juicing won't boost your metabolism.

Well its made me feel great lots more energy ??????????????

• Advertisement

crestglan wrote: »
    Well its made me feel great lots more energy ??????????????
    Maybe its in your head?

Look at it this way, if something was able to boost your metabolism. You'd burn up more energy over the course of a day, so you'd probably end up feeling like you have less energy - unless you eat extra food.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I have an underactive thyroid so my metabolism is always low one way of boosting i found is juicing I bought a juicer and juice fruit and veg and add vit C powder have loads of more energy

At most 5-10 pounds of extra weight can be attributed to an underactive thyroid. However, doctors are pretty sure that 90-100% of extra body fact can be attributed to people making excuses.

I am not over weight or never have been I am very lucky that way I have been active all my life My underactive thyroid makes me very tired because it makes everything low in body and slows down normal rhythm of body food does impact in this and by juicing fruit and veg and taking Vit C I have loads more energy which helps me stay active for longer never mentioned being over weight ???????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If the juices are on top of the food you used to have, then it's no surprise you have more energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I am not over weight or never have been I am very lucky that way I have been active all my life My underactive thyroid makes me very tired because it makes everything low in body and slows down normal rhythm of body food does impact in this and by juicing fruit and veg and taking Vit C I have loads more energy which helps me stay active for longer never mentioned being over weight ???????????????

Oh, good for you then. The original post was about losing weight so I assumed you were talking about the same.

Advertisement