Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My fitness pal to track carlories?

Options
  • 13-04-2015 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I updated my fitness pal this morning, and I'm actually down 0.4kg since I last logged in, however, when I updated all the information is gave me a daily calorie goal of 790.
    I'm 65.1kg, that's a bmi of 23.9 but I carry all my weight around my middle, I have a small frame and badly need to get rid of the excess.

My goal is 56kg bmi 20.6 and ideally I don't want to be still trying to lose weight in the middle of July so I'm targeting 1kg a week. Any opinions???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

1kg a week is a weekly deficit of 7,700 kcals. That's 1100 per day so an allowance of 790 probably isn't too far off the mark.

Maybe try and lose it a bit more slowly. Trying to stick to an allowance that low would be unsustainable even for 9 weeks. Reduce your deficit to something more manageable and look to improve your food quality so that you can stay at maintenance long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

1kg a week is a weekly deficit of 7,700 kcals. That's 1100 per day so an allowance of 790 probably isn't too far off the mark.
    This.

Your BMR is probably around the 1800 mark, targetting 1000+ cal deficit a day is gonna be 790. Usually it caps Cals calories at 1000min, but it must have slipped by. Basically that rate of weightloss is unsustainable, redo you goal with 0.5kg loss per week. Calories will be a more managable 1300ish

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tessat

Why thank you both. 0.8kg gives me 1060 per day that's manageable, I wouldn't be a big snacker anyway and generally when I need to lose a few kg I just start eating breakfast again, something I'm really bad at. Which increases if I do some exercise, so I'm off to walk the school run now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Hi OP, definitely aim for 1lb/0.5kg a week. I too used to aim for 2lbs a week, but when you're not overweight to start with, it's just totally depressing to see how little you're allowed to eat and sets you up to fail. I'm now using MFP for over 3 months and have lost nearly a stone. Best of luck!

Thanks Shelga, I'm doing ok on the 1060 for the moment. I'm getting in my 3 meals, something I don't normally do.
    If I manage like this for 2 weeks to get a good start then I can drop back the amount of loss. I'm on day 3.

I have another question, on the goals side, I'm keeping below the fat and sugar goals, but I would usually eat a lot of protein, is that goal a min or max? Is it bad to go over, I haven't yet but if I'm allowed while staying under the calorie count I would like to increase my proteins.

Finally, does anybody know how to sync the app with the map my walk app? It won't "Connect" for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

tessat wrote: »
    I have another question, on the goals side, I'm keeping below the fat and sugar goals, but I would usually eat a lot of protein, is that goal a min or max? Is it bad to go over, I haven't yet but if I'm allowed while staying under the calorie count I would like to increase my proteins.

Finally, does anybody know how to sync the app with the map my walk app? It won't "Connect" for me.

The figures for carbs/fat/protein are just the breakdown they have for your calories. If you are within your calorie target and have higher protein then it's not a problem. It just means that, for example, they might have 40% 40% 20% for carbs/protein/fat but you're hitting 30% 50% 20%.

As for exercise, MFP overestimates calories burned from exercise so you're better off not using them.

tessat wrote: »
    They are just targets. Based on the breakdown you set on the website.
    Aim to get close, but don't sweat it if you are slightly under/over .
    As above, I wouldn't bother with it.
    My MFP is always adding calories to my allowance based on my steps for the day. I usually get in 5-10k each day. But I don't want extra calories for this, it's not additional energy burned imo - its already allowed for in my daily activity.

Thanks, that's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Mellor wrote: »
    They are just targets. Based on the breakdown you set on the website.
    Aim to get close, but don't sweat it if you are slightly under/over .

As above, I wouldn't bother with it.
    My MFP is always adding calories to my allowance based on my steps for the day. I usually get in 5-10k each day. But I don't want extra calories for this, it's not additional energy burned imo - its already allowed for in my daily activity.

Do you mean your usual distance travelled in a normal day with that 5k? Like walking around the house/work?

Do you mean your usual distance travelled in a normal day with that 5k? Like walking around the house/work?
    Yeah. Just from a normal work day.
    Walk to the busstop, to work, around the office, to the gym at lunch (phone in locker). Walk back to bus. On my feet around the house doing clothes/dinner etc.
    That's all I've done today and it'll finish up about 8k steps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah. Just from a normal work day.
    Walk to the busstop, to work, around the office, to the gym at lunch (phone in locker). Walk back to bus. On my feet around the house doing clothes/dinner etc.
    That's all I've done today and it'll finish up about 8k steps.

Ah yea, don't add normal stuff. I'd add a run, cycle though, hard aerobic stuff let strava or map my add those calories back or you'll feel drained

Ah yea, don't add normal stuff. I'd add a run, cycle though, hard aerobic stuff let strava or map my add those calories back or you'll feel drained

If you already allowed for the in your activity factor (sedanty, light active, etc) then you shouldn't add them back. It's doubling up.

Advertisement