Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 acres any recommendations- hens, lambs pigs etc?

Options
  • 11-04-2015 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Well, new to this game as hopping to make use of a 2 acre site which we recently acquired with a gaff that needs some tic....
    Stuck into the house at de mo renovating her but should be done in coming weeks. Had laying hens before in the big smoke and deco going down that roué again but interested in doing something with the land. Would love a few lambs for rearing for our own table, pig also for the meat and would,love a cow but maybe not enough space... Am I day dreaming as I work full time and the missus is working 2 days a week 2 kids under 5 and another on the way....
    Any suggestions/ threads welcome. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Country lad

Lambs are a good idea easy to rear and keep the grass cut for you you would.nt have enough space for a cow

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Great thanks. Whee would I go about getting a few lambs for rearing? How to get a flock no? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Great thanks. Whee would I go about getting a few lambs for rearing? How to get a flock no? Cheers

Contact your local dept office.

Not sure if this is the form, but the local DVO will tell you.

Also of info:
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalidentificationmovement/nationalsheepidentificationsystem/sheepflockregister/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Well, new to this game as hopping to make use of a 2 acre site which we recently acquired with a gaff that needs some tic....
    Stuck into the house at de mo renovating her but should be done in coming weeks. Had laying hens before in the big smoke and deco going down that roué again but interested in doing something with the land. Would love a few lambs for rearing for our own table, pig also for the meat and would,love a cow but maybe not enough space... Am I day dreaming as I work full time and the missus is working 2 days a week 2 kids under 5 and another on the way....
    Any suggestions/ threads welcome. Thanks

As the previous poster said, lambs are do-able (I only have a few acres, have a few sheep, work 5 days a week, so does the OH and we have 2 kids, busy, but do-able)

2 acres is a bit small tho - first order of business I'd say is to get a few more acres ;):)

Advertisement