Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is that Saul Rodgers with the afro sitting/standing in the front row?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Paully D wrote: »
    Is that Saul Rodgers with the afro sitting/standing in the front row?

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Grrr missed most of that last round, tv just came back on about 5 seconds before the KO!

Great to have Cage Warriors back and I enjoyed the fights, but is that it?

Over in less than 2 hours and if they had more than a couple of hundred people in the arena I'd be surprised. I thought parts of the production left a lot to be desired too. For example, fighters in the cage within about 10 seconds of their entrance music starting to play which didn't allow much opportunity for the crowd to get pumped (BAMMA have this spot on with fighters stepping up on a podium before making the walk) and the venue felt like a community centre you'd watch the local school's annual nativity play in.

I know it's easy for me to say from my couch, but I was a bit underwhelmed overall. I'm sure it'll get much better as they go on again though, especially with Fight Pass on board. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I really enjoyed it, the fights were good and I even liked the town hall kind of feel to it. There were one or two fighters there that I'll definitely have to keep an eye on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Paully D wrote: »
    Great to have Cage Warriors back and I enjoyed the fights, but is that it?

Over in less than 2 hours and if they had more than a couple of hundred people in the arena I'd be surprised. I thought parts of the production left a lot to be desired too. For example, fighters in the cage within about 10 seconds of their entrance music starting to play which didn't allow much opportunity for the crowd to get pumped (BAMMA have this spot on with fighters stepping up on a podium before making the walk) and the venue felt like a community centre you'd watch the local school's annual nativity play in.

I know it's easy for me to say from my couch, but I was a bit underwhelmed overall. I'm sure it'll get much better as they go on again though, especially with Fight Pass on board. Onwards and upwards.

To be honest, my assessment of it is this: They now have a completely different structure to the promotion. They used to be owned by the Jordanian royal family who were willing to throw money at it and rent big arenas, without even a tv deal for most of the time. Plus they used to do two main cards with 12 fights or so. It was well documented that they were losing money.

Now they're owned by one businessman who knows the business very well but its working with a budget. So he had a short main card in a small arena with a couple of good quality fights and a few mismatches to get some highlight reels. And he has tv deals in place as well as fight pass. It seems like a more modest operation now but I think Boylan is a smart operator and he can build it up to be better than it was before the break but he's being sensible about it.

I thought it was a very good card all the same. Coming back to the Helix in Dublin with a high-profile Irish fighter would be massive.

Incase anyone is reading the threads today thinking "FFS who's this pimblett kid, wish I seen that fight" well don't be too disappointed ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I remember watching this fight and somehow managing to stay awake. It was a mixture of laughing(because I can't stand kos) and frowning at Daley for being so stupid.

Do I care about a rematch now about 5 years later? Nah

CgREYr2WsAIm0tu.jpg:large

Devastator wrote: »
    I remember watching this fight and somehow managing to stay awake. It was a mixture of laughing(because I can't stand kos) and frowning at Daley for being so stupid.

Do I care about a rematch now about 5 years later? Nah

CgREYr2WsAIm0tu.jpg:large

I met Daley at the siam warriors show in cork he's a really nice lad, quality to watch as well. I'll be heading over to bellator show so I hope this gets sorted along with WVP and a fight for McGeary. That fight was so frustrating but it was a scum thing to do by Daley but you could understand his frustration. Would love to see him fight Diaz again, amazing fight that I'll never forget.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    I met Daley at the siam warriors show in cork he's a really nice lad, quality to watch as well. I'll be heading over to bellator show so I hope this gets sorted along with WVP and a fight for McGeary. That fight was so frustrating but it was a scum thing to do by Daley but you could understand his frustration. Would love to see him fight Diaz again, amazing fight that I'll never forget.

Im disappointed he has never got another opportunity in the UFC. Obviously Dana made a big statement that he would never fight in UFC again but when you look back at some of the other antics(PED failures, recreational drug failures, crimes,etc) of fighters and they've been able to fight again or are coming back to fight again this weekend ;) In comparison what Daley done is no comparison really.

Im disappointed he has never got another opportunity in the UFC. Obviously Dana made a big statement that he would never fight in UFC again but when you look back at some of the other antics(PED failures, recreational drug failures, crimes,etc) of fighters and they've been able to fight again or are coming back to fight again this weekend ;) In comparison what Daley done is no comparison really.

He still one of the top WWs in the world and top 5 most exciting to watch, he will get back In when he wins the belt I'd imagine. But I'm not sure how much he'd want to now he'd make more money in bellator with mma and kickboxing for them, also the have looked after him very well.

Kos v Daley set for Bellator London, along with Kimbo v James Thompson when his suspension is up, the event will be in July. Will head over for it anyway hopefully McGeary & MVP get on the card.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/4/17/11448220/kimbo-slice-vs-james-thompson-2-in-the-works-for-london-event

Kimbo? WTF? 90 day ban for high t/e levels? I've had milk in the fridge longer than that ban!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kimbo? WTF? 90 day ban for high t/e levels? I've had milk in the fridge longer than that ban!

It wasn't just t/e, he also tested positive for nandrolone.
    90 days is bloody retarded, on what planet was he ever going to fight within 90 days.

Lol Texas, fck yeah

Mellor wrote: »
    It wasn't just t/e, he also tested positive for nandrolone.
    90 days is bloody retarded, on what planet was he ever going to fight within 90 days.

Lol Texas, fck yeah

really? missed that lol but again refer back to our discussion few days ago about switching off my attention to cheats when they're caught.

I wonder if UK customs,passport,visa could maybe stop him from entering England or fighting(making money) due to being caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

really? missed that lol but again refer back to our discussion few days ago about switching off my attention to cheats when they're caught.
    Yeah popped for nandrolone, Shamrock popped for nandrolone and metadone, yup as in the stuff junkies are given to get off heroin.
    I wonder if UK customs,passport,visa could maybe stop him from entering England or fighting(making money) due to being caught.
    I don't think so as he hasn't broken the law, or to be technical was caught breaking it by the police etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Kos v Daley set for Bellator London, along with Kimbo v James Thompson when his suspension is up, the event will be in July. Will head over for it anyway hopefully McGeary & MVP get on the card.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/4/17/11448220/kimbo-slice-vs-james-thompson-2-in-the-works-for-london-event

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/722039103865430016

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/722038110289272832

Any full ticket price list for Bellator in London released yet please lads?

• Advertisement

Things didn't go smooth for Benson last night he got absolutely destroyed by Koreshkov, the size difference looked massive but it was even bigger when he rehydrated.

Bellator are having a laugh with those ticket prices for London. They'll be lucky to half fill the place at those prices. They're actually charging more for some seats than the UFC did a couple of months ago and the top level ticket prices are the same. :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Things didn't go smooth for Benson last night he got absolutely destroyed by Koreshkov, the size difference looked massive but it was even bigger when he rehydrated.

Henderson took some nasty hits, I am amazed he survived that flying knee.

Good win for Cyborg Santos too, heel hook after 30 seconds

Henderson took some nasty hits, I am amazed he survived that flying knee.

Good win for Cyborg Santos too, heel hook after 30 seconds

The knee was sick, he's some man even if don't really like him I massivly respect him.

Great win for Santos, like ward so hopefully be comes back strong.MVPs toe hold was class wswell.

Polar opposite of the event with Kimbo etc I really enjoyed the card.

Its been a couple of weeks since a bellator comedy fight is put on, so......
    One time fighter and full time reality tv star Alex Reid is fighting on the bellator London card in July. Reid was probably most well known for being (one of many) married to the Jordan but did tryout on TUF(didnt get through elimination fight).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Its been a couple of weeks since a bellator comedy fight is put on, so......
    One time fighter and full time reality tv star Alex Reid is fighting on the bellator London card in July. Reid was probably most well known for being (one of many) married to the Jordan but did tryout on TUF(didnt get through elimination fight).
    Who is he fighting?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Who is he fighting?

Ya know what? I didn't even care enough earlier to check. I just seen thats what he's changed his info on his twitter account to. He's a bum. Was only ever good in his own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

darced wrote: »
    Ever see his fight with Tom Watson? There was a very good fighter in there somewhere.

He was an ok kick boxer. Ground was brutal.
    Watson was a stand up fight as far as I can remember. He held his own but lost the decision. It was fully expected that Watson would steamroll him too but that didn't happen

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    He was an ok kick boxer. Ground was brutal.
    Watson was a stand up fight as far as I can remember. He held his own but lost the decision. It was fully expected that Watson would steamroll him too but that didn't happen

I think by the Watson fight any fighter in him was pushed aside by "celebrity". Watson completely controlled him and was able to take him down with ease to see out each round.

I fight some really easy money off that fight. I knew some foolish people who thought because they didn't follow MMA but had heard of Reid it should mean he's a good fighter, even after I pointed out to them the reason they had heard of him was because of who he was married to they still wanted to bet with me :eek::pac:

Advertisement