Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Kongo fighting Bader for the HW title, feel like I'm gone back in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ASOT wrote: »

Lets go Kongo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

PFL4 full event free and gratis on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/Sqr-FBoRALM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Fleury is up next

Fleury by decision very boring fight. Opponent lay on his back for 3 rounds defending against several sub attempts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Another shocking night for John Kavanagh, kifer got dq sinead lost on points and will won

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

but1er wrote: »
    Another shocking night for John Kavanagh, kifer got dq sinead lost on points and will won

Win or learn man win or learn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Jesus Christ, some people. He just had 3 of his team fighting in America. One won, one was a big underdog who put on a great performance but lost by majority decision, which has been described as hugely contentious and the other lost by an illegal knee in the first round when he was on the verge of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

I see Kavanagh missed weight again, that's a few times now - she needs to either move or knuckle down and make weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I see Kavanagh missed weight again, that's a few times now - she needs to either move or knuckle down and make weight.

Did she? I actually done a quick scan yesterday to see if she made weight because she had missed so many times and nothing jumped out so I presumed she made it. She is really, really unprofessional when it comes to hitting the scales.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, some people. He just had 3 of his team fighting in America. One won, one was a big underdog who put on a great performance but lost by majority decision, which has been described as hugely contentious and the other lost by an illegal knee in the first round when he was on the verge of winning.

Yeah agreed on this one, don't know how someone could consider that a bad night for John kavanagh.

All 3 of his fighters performed well on the night, Crosbie made an error that led to a DQ in a fight that he was well on his way to winning (nothing you could fault a coach for), Sinead Kavanagh almost caused a big upset and could definitely be said to have performed to her ability (reflects well on the coach surely? ) and Fleury dominated his opponent.

While results may not have been what he would have wanted, I would have said last night was actually a very decent night's work for Kavanagh from a coaching point of view, I definitely don't think he'll be heading away from it considering it a "shocking night" or anything close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Did she? I actually done a quick scan yesterday to see if she made weight because she had missed so many times and nothing jumped out so I presumed she made it. She is really, really unprofessional when it comes to hitting the scales.

She did and lost 20% of her purse, nearly expected at this stage with her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

You must be easily shocked

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

ASOT wrote: »

Kongo is on a surprisingly decent run at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

What are you talking about? Did you watch any of the fights you are commenting on? Does not sound like it. Just looking to throw shade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

It can be more difficult for women to make weight than men. With hormones, menstrual cycles etc it lead to bloat, water retention etc which can add unpredictability to a weight cut that men would not have to deal with.

Another thing of note is between fights the amount of fat stored when female fighters put on weight between fights is a lot more than men. Again making it harder to make weight if a rapid weight cut if needed. In many ways female fighters almost need to be more disciplined than men when it comes to maintaining weight between fights

That said most female professional athletes and fighters learn to deal with it, and missing weight multiple times is a sign that fight prep has not been done correctly.

From an outsiders view it looks like far too much of the athletes diets and conditioning is left up to the fighter. While the gym focuses on technique and strategy.

However most high level amateur established sports would have team nutritionists and conditioning coaches checking up on their teams every day. This seems to still be lacking in MMA. IMO too much is left to the fighters to figure out for themselves when it comes to diet and conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,039 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MVP vrs Richard Keily announces as the Bekatir main event in Dublin

Mellor wrote: »
    MVP vrs Richard Keily announces as the Bekatir main event in Dublin
    Is that a wind up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Is that a wind up

I thought Discount Conor [who successfully ducked the tournament] was the Main event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

• Advertisement

Autecher wrote: »

Richard kiely is terrible and will be finished in a round

Sorry forgot to post the links.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/other-sport/exclusive-richard-kiely-face-michael-18325220

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I've never seen him fight but according to the article it is him that wanted the fight, he has been slagging off MVP for a while now apparently. Having a look at his Twitter now, he calls himself "The Face of Bellator" & "Previously The Face of BAMMA" :rolleyes:

Another Conor clone, though he did get the fight he wanted so it has worked to an extent for him anyway.

He 3 fights into a pro career. He has no business in there with MVP (nearly 20 pro fights). But terrible is shït harsh. What sort of standard are you holding him to.

He 3 fights into a pro career. He has no business in there with MVP (nearly 20 pro fights). But terrible is shït harsh. What sort of standard are you holding him to.

Sorry mate your right I'm judging Jim against the standard of a main card fighter he isn't that standard he is prelims at best. Hes a hype train

I don’t think he’s even hype. He’s starting out in the sport. And Bellator decided to toss him in with MVP. Not his fault, obviously he takes the fight, but Bellator matchmaker’s should be a shamed.

I’d imagine if you go back a few weeks this “beef” suddenly started shortly after MVPs loss to Lima.

I don’t think he’s even hype. He’s starting out in the sport. And Bellator decided to toss him in with MVP. Not his fault, obviously he takes the fight, but Bellator matchmaker’s should be a shamed.

I’d imagine if you go back a few weeks this “beef” suddenly started shortly after MVPs loss to Lima.

He's getting finished very very quickly and very clinically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

He's getting finished very very quickly and very clinically

Maybe, but I feel he'll be better equipped to cope with MVP's style than some of the more experienced fighters MVP has wiped out in the past.

I don't necessarily think he'll cause the upset, but he's on the old side for a relative newcomer to mma, so if he's going to make something happen and make a few bob in the sport, he'll need to take the fast track. Fair play to him for taking the fight. He's a decent striker in his own right, would be delighted if he managed to spring the upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

SBG fighter finally gets someone not a punching bag and its a ridiculous mismatch. MVP will destroy Kiely

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    SBG fighter finally gets someone not a punching bag and its a ridiculous mismatch. MVP will destroy Kiely

He will be retiree by MVP. But be good to see him in Dublin

Advertisement