Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creatine at 41??

Options
  • 10-04-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm back doing gym work,full body work out 3 times a week after several years off.progressing well but I'm thinking of taking a course of creatine to accelerate things a bit.I take protein shakes daily and have a decent diet.want to put on muscle and lose a little pot belly!am I too old for creatine??would all that water retention that goes with it expand the belly prob a little more???thanks in advance...D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

By take a course I assume you mean to cycle it or "go off" it after a month or two. You don't need to do this. Creatine will give you a small boost but isn't some kind of miracle supplement. It has been proven to be beneficial in a multitude of ways though. I always recommend people take it. Age isn't a factor for Creatine supplementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭daludo

Thanks blacktie
    What about the water retention issue,do u think that would show up the mini belly crisis???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭theboy1

Blacktie. wrote: »
    By take a course I assume you mean to cycle it or "go off" it after a month or two. You don't need to do this. Creatine will give you a small boost but isn't some kind of miracle supplement. It has been proven to be beneficial in a multitude of ways though. I always recommend people take it. Age isn't a factor for Creatine supplementation.

Its as close to a miracle supplement as you can get IMO.

theboy1 wrote:
    Its as close to a miracle supplement as you can get IMO.

How? It gives a slight boost to ATP production but it's no steroid!

Not too sure. I never had the issue myself but I never done a loading phase which is when it shows up I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Can someone tell a total suplement novice like me what benefits you get from taking creatin, what exactly does it do?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Can someone tell a total suplement novice like me what benefits you get from taking creatin, what exactly does it do?

Long story short, it allows the body to create more ATP and so it can work harder.

And because it hydrates muscle cells it helps increase protein synthesis.

Tl;dr it creates conditions that help you work harder and facilitate muscle growth.

Would someone into running or cycling benefit from taking creatin or is it more for the weight lifting side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Would someone into running or cycling benefit from taking creatin or is it more for the weight lifting side of things

It depends but if you're talking distance running then no. It's more where you h a very a higher output. It can help in shorter distance running where you'd be doing a lot of lactic threshold training.

I'm sure someone else could put it better but that's there or thereabouts

Thanks for that alf

• Advertisement
Advertisement