Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym for Teen in South Dublin

Options
  • 09-04-2015 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

I'm 16 and was wondering what gym to join in south dublin particularly near dundrum and sandyford. I find it a little less 'fun' shall I say working out at home and I feel it would be great to spend the summer in the gym working on my fitness. I want to join a gym where there are often other teens or young people because i'm a bit insecure about my body and would feel very uncomfortable if I was in the gym around 30,40 year olds who are huge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Southside strength and fitness is a great gym so I've heard. It's in sandyford industrial park afaik, and there's plenty of young people there.

There's nothing to be feared about training with older, stronger people either. I find it's very motivating to see yourself improve, but still a lot weaker than others and you find yourself never complacent or lazy in the gym as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I want to join a gym where there are often other teens or young people because i'm a bit insecure about my body and would feel very uncomfortable if I was in the gym around 30,40 year olds who are huge.

Feeling intimidated is understandable but you'll get over this after one or two trips. They're not looking at you, they don't care, they have weights to lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

30-50 year old gym goers are way sounder than people your age.
    We are way less likely to judge you on your body than a teenager and way more likely to not be in incredible shape ourselves.
    Any one who is big is probably more likely to help you than make fun of you.
    Anyway sandyford is rich in gyms. Ben Dunne is well stocked and very cheap, bhaf is good and you would get good advice from trainers there, southside is an incredible set up and there are 3 crossfit gyms too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Thanks everyone. I'm sure i'll get over my insecurity. Is the gym in westwood any decent. Any young people there?

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭mengele

I'm 16 and was wondering what gym to join in south dublin particularly near dundrum and sandyford. I find it a little less 'fun' shall I say working out at home and I feel it would be great to spend the summer in the gym working on my fitness. I want to join a gym where there are often other teens or young people because i'm a bit insecure about my body and would feel very uncomfortable if I was in the gym around 30,40 year olds who are huge.

if your like me you wont care about the older lads because they at years at it. instead you will be looking at the lads your own age and what kind of shape their in and if there a lot stronger than you, you will try hard to catch up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Southside is an absolute quality gym but has a good portion of sunbed tanned lads with big biceps in string vests.
    If you're self conscious you'd be best off in www.bhaf.ie. A cracking, friendly and welcoming gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

mengele wrote: »
    if your like me you wont care about the older lads because they at years at it. instead you will be looking at the lads your own age and what kind of shape their in and if there a lot stronger than you, you will try hard to catch up to them.

It is kind of funny how you only really compare yourself to people that are of similar build/age. If a guy is absolutely massive I couldn't care less, he's in a different league. If a guy is tiny and scrawny I also don't judge, because he's obviously just starting out. Someone quite close to me, though, and I find myself thinking "Hmm...his biceps are a little bigger than mine...grr...must lift moar..."

Advertisement