Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭con747

Anyone have any clue what engine size that is? ��

I'd love that, but I'd have to change the colour. Is that gold even original? We had a java green one in the family back in the day, FJU 718V, lovely car.

TR7 TRUIMPH 1978 2LITRE PETROL on the add.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-fto-non-mivec/27314901
    Seen this mitsubishi Fto reduced in price to €1,500
    Test till end of April
    No tax, don't think it has been in a while.
    Automatic 4 speed puts me off but these have always been a personal favorite of mine

Always wondered about these. I know nothing of them bar the hype. What is the draw ? Way they handle? Way they go ? Way they look ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭w124man

con747 wrote: »

Seller forgets to mention the VAT and duty ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

w124man wrote: »
    Seller forgets to mention the VAT and duty ....

I gave him the benefit of presuming its reg'd in NI. Otherwise this ad is totally false. I hope no one who is in the market would fall for this.

Edit : Hasnt had a UK MOT in 4 years, might have been in NI.

Still overpriced anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Miscreant

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-fto-non-mivec/27314901
    Seen this mitsubishi Fto reduced in price to €1,500
    Test till end of April
    No tax, don't think it has been in a while.
    Automatic 4 speed puts me off but these have always been a personal favorite of mine

Selling as he can't get insurance... I remember these as being notoriously difficult to insure even if you were 40 years old!
    The auto box models aren't as desirable and this one is even less so as a "non-MIVEC" example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭junkyarddog

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/tr7-truimph-1978-2litre-petrol-nct-exempt/27344343

YzIyYmQ2OTdhZGY3NDc3NjIwMDQ2MTM0NjI0ZDlmMjOxZq1vo28UA9loTA_C0H_QaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzIyOTI4NjZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks interesting, original Irish TR7 for €5750

Looks in nice nick too

That must be a very rare pre-production model as they didn't start selling the convertible TR7 until 1980........

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Xenia Onatopp: Russia is very different now, a land of opportunity.
    James Bond: With a new Ferrari in every garage?
    Xenia Onatopp: No, not quite. That belongs to a friend.
    James Bond: A tip for your friend; the French registration plates for this year's models start with the letter L. Even the counterfeit ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pearsett100

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Always wondered about these. I know nothing of them bar the hype. What is the draw ? Way they handle? Way they go ? Way they look ?

There decent pull if you have the Manual mivec model about 200bhp. Very balanced for a front wheel drive car. My cousin had one in 2006 and was paying around 3000 euro for insurance. He was 28 with about 7 years no claims. Still reckons it was the best car he ever owned used to be quicker than most integras. Still not really worth it for the high insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭TigerTim

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/tr7-truimph-1978-2litre-petrol-nct-exempt/27344343

YzIyYmQ2OTdhZGY3NDc3NjIwMDQ2MTM0NjI0ZDlmMjOxZq1vo28UA9loTA_C0H_QaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzIyOTI4NjZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks interesting, original Irish TR7 for €5750

Looks in nice nick too

Looks clean but the bumpers look wrong to me. Not how I remember them but I am getting old.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Miscreant wrote: »
    Selling as he can't get insurance... I remember these as being notoriously difficult to insure even if you were 40 years old!
    The auto box models aren't as desirable and this one is even less so as a "non-MIVEC" example.

Nct site says car is silver????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

TigerTim wrote: »
    Looks clean but the bumpers look wrong to me. Not how I remember them but I am getting old.

T.

They always did look wrong. They are BL's answer for the US low speed collision regulations. The Porsche 924 is a much nicer look, without the need for oversize bumpers - but then again, it is a Porsche.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

They always did look wrong. They are BL's answer for the US low speed collision regulations. The Porsche 924 is a much nicer look, without the need for oversize bumpers - but then again, it is a Porsche.

I think the US spec ones had different bumpers again - with over riders at the back.

I think they look wrong just because they have been painted body colour- originally they would have been black.

As regards Porsche, they made a complete mess of the 911 when they fitted US bumpers to it, and then compounded the problem by making them the default look for the car into the '80s.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the US spec ones had different bumpers again - with over riders at the back.

I think they look wrong just because they have been painted body colour- originally they would have been black.

As regards Porsche, they made a complete mess of the 911 when they fitted US bumpers to it, and then compounded the problem by making them the default look for the car into the '80s.

The TR7 looks very like the Porsche 924 with the exception of those ugly bumpers. The other problem with the TR7 is the engine - derived from the troublesome Triumph Stag 3 litre engine.

The TR7 looks very like the Porsche 924 with the exception of those ugly bumpers. The other problem with the TR7 is the engine - derived from the troublesome Triumph Stag 3 litre engine.

The TR7's engine was essentially an 8v version of the Dolomite sprints engine - itself derived from the 1850. They were a pretty reliable lump if I recall, and was the basis of Saabs engines for years.

The v8 was an unholy effort to weld two of them together (as 1500's)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The TR7's engine was essentially an 8v version of the Dolomite sprints engine - itself derived from the 1850. They were a pretty reliable lump if I recall, and was the basis of Saabs engines for years.

And in defence of the much misaligned stag, poor maintenance particularly of the cooling system was as much to blame (an extra row of cores in the rad wouldn't have gone amiss either).

There were TR7s built with the Sprint engine.

I think the aim of the slant four engine was to build a V8 to be used in the Stag to supply the US market with a V8 sports car. Unfortunately, the Stag was a disaster because of engine problems, and became known as the Snag.

I think the Stag was the only BL car to be produced in only one form with the only option being manual or auto. Most BL cars were badge engineered to death with lots of engine options and trim options - but not the Stag. The V8 in the Stag barely produced more power than the Sprint 4 cylinder engine. It never did much but they kept in production, more or less unchanged, from 1971 to 1978. One of Michelotti's best designs.

Here's the 1988 Mazda 323 €2990 that's being sold with the Audi 80 https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mazda-323-audi-80-auto-x2/27451373 Nct'd and taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Here's the 1988 Mazda 323 €2990 that's being sold with the Audi 80 https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mazda-323-audi-80-auto-x2/27451373 Nct'd and taxed.

What was wrong with 88-MO-10026?

That ZV looks daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭w124man

The V8 as fitted to the TR8 was the Buick derived Rover V8. You are probably thinking of the Stag engine which wasn't great. The support cars used by most of the vehicle development departments in the BL conglomerate were Triumph 2500 saloon and estate models fitted with the Rover V8 engine. Politics prevented those cars becoming a production car and similarly politics was responsible for the V8 as fitted to the Stag

• Advertisement

What was wrong with 88-MO-10026?

That ZV looks daft.

Perhaps this https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058172687

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's a job for kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mini-cooper-s-mk-i-1965/27584946

The Mini Cooper with competition history is re-advertised with a price tag this time.

elperello wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mini-cooper-s-mk-i-1965/27584946

The Mini Cooper with competition history is re-advertised with a price tag this time.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭elperello

:eek:

Well you might :)

They are making serious money but I don't know if there is a market in Ireland.

I hope so, pity to see it exported.

This one actually won the 1967 Circuit.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/15344/lot/206/

w124man wrote: »
    The V8 as fitted to the TR8 was the Buick derived Rover V8. You are probably thinking of the Stag engine which wasn't great. The support cars used by most of the vehicle development departments in the BL conglomerate were Triumph 2500 saloon and estate models fitted with the Rover V8 engine. Politics prevented those cars becoming a production car and similarly politics was responsible for the V8 as fitted to the Stag

Read back over the post I replied to for the proper context.

We were talking about the Triumph V8, and its relationship to the 4 cylinder in the TR7.

Not the rover V8 that was eventually fitted to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭KevRossi

€4,000 for this, a bit pricey. It looks to be in very good condition, has a years NCT. Has had some work done since being for sale for €1800 in 2013. Could be a good basis to get it back to 'normal'.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/project-volkswagen-polo-mk2-86c-1990-coupe/27580432?campaign=3

Here's the vid. :confused:

NTU5ZDVlNGYxNjY3MzU2YTJmM2QxYjg5OTJjM2VlZDD8lQ7pQqBSmtPnXJ97quP1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzQ3NTYzMzN8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Its gone fairly rough since the video and sale a few years back.

Advertisement