Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

18 years without an NCT, looks like it's been standing outside for a long time. Could be a right bag of horrors. Those SD1's rot from the inside out.

My money would be on the UK one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Was driving when I parked it up:D:D

Isn't every car before its demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭CoBo55

kadman wrote: »
    Was driving when I parked it up:D:D

Isn't every car before its demise.

Yea, driving him crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Seems it's already gone wrong
    , car is a restoration project that requires work engine runs well, needs general work all around paint is not perfect and requires a new hood old one is damaged

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Nice and rare alright. Problem is it had no MOT since 2016 and you'd be curious as to what the VRT would be on that. Fix the seat covering, get it road legal and it's a lot more expensive than €6,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Rare, but dreamer at that price. If he is smart he will sell it straight back into the UK before it's too late and it becomes unsellable over here. He might get the 2 grand back he paid for it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

unkel wrote: »
    Rare, but dreamer at that price. If he is smart he will sell it straight back into the UK before it's too late and it becomes unsellable over here. He might get the 2 grand back he paid for it :p

I agree - I cant see where the market is for that if I am honest. Rare, yes, desirable ? Not in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭BrianD3

con747 wrote: »
    Haven't seen one of those in many years and there were a fair few around. I never liked the 9 at the time due to its styling - but was pleasantly surprised at how decent it was to travel in when I got a few lifts in a neighbour's Louisiane circa 1992.

Now, I think the 9 has aged well and the front airdam (plus yellow foglights!) as on the Louisiane makes a big difference IMO. I'd be interested to see one at a classic car show. That one on DD looks like it needs a lot of work, rust in the scuttle and rear screen surround and inevitably other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Haven't seen one of those in many years and there were a fair few around. I never liked the 9 at the time due to its styling - but was pleasantly surprised at how decent it was to travel in when I got a few lifts in a neighbour's Louisiane circa 1992.

Now, I think the 9 has aged well and the front airdam (plus yellow foglights!) as on the Louisiane makes a big difference IMO. I'd be interested to see one at a classic car show. That one on DD looks like it needs a lot of work, rust in the scuttle and rear screen surround and inevitably other places.

I like the 9s but that one is dissolving I'd say.

"Stored under cover" but taken out in the spills of rain for pictures! Yeah right!:rolleyes:

I always preferred the more modern R11 to the almost identical boxy R9, which even looked dated when it was new

Had a memorable driving holiday to Yugoslavia back in '88 in a high end R11 with the digital dash, I think a TXE? 4 of us in it with all our camping gear. Car was fine but occasionally completely switched off (engine, all electronics) when driving at motorway speeds, happened of course in the middle of the night when I was driving and all the others were asleep. I'm a bad sleeper, never really tire and had coffee, so I was able to calmly let it ride onto the hard shoulder. Switch off the ignition, switch back on, and join the motorway again when it was safe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I like the 9s but that one is dissolving I'd say.

"Stored under cover" but taken out in the spills of rain for pictures! Yeah right!:rolleyes:

Ooooooh! I think I might know that car, and the "cover" it was under for the last decade. In fact, I think I posted a distant pic of it a few years back on here. I'd need to check to be sure the next time I'm passing the place, but the "cover" was something like a pallet on the roof.

I'll do the decent thing and report back here with my results :)

Ooooooh! I think I might know that car, and the "cover" it was under for the last decade. In fact, I think I posted a distant pic of it a few years back on here. I'd need to check to be sure the next time I'm passing the place, but the "cover" was something like a pallet on the roof.

I'll do the decent thing and report back here with my results :)

3763504012_13ea88348c_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭KevRossi

New NCT to 09/22, MB Tex seats, 200 Auto and petrol, €4,750
    Decent price if the chrome wheel arches are decorative and not hiding anything too dodgy. That colour polishes up really well on those cars, excellent colour on a W123 IMO.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-w123-200/26165115?campaign=3

YzA1ZjFjMTUyYmM1NmZiMDJhMzNiYTBmNjNiYTNjMGHFD3RIQTlOsSSYGrvlzArPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjI2NjY1Mzh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    YTJhNDk3NmFiYTNmYWIxYjU1MGJiYzY1Y2YwNGY4YmVEoUFTIyfMN2d7igxiRcPaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTg0Nzg2MTF8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Yes, that is lovely and a good price too I think. I dare say that the chrome arches don’t look too out of place either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

So, reporting back as promised. Went for a Sunday spin and passed by the Renault I was thinking of, so I was wrong thinking the one advertised was the same car. It's the same colour combination and same part of the country, so it's easy to make the mistake I suppose.

W123 sold. No surprise that seemed a great car for the money. Pity I didn't get to see the ad.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-passat-gli-golf-corrado-engine-volvo/26053494

NDI3ZDIzNmI0MzQzYjMyYjc5OWQ2ZGNkYmY1ZTMyZDfDJVJOaxM2V88rULqFJmK9aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTg2NTQxMzd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

OGIwODM1NWZhMzhhZTBmNTcyZDY1ZmJiMDc1MGIyMmOWj7VUoGZw06LbVsQgSk-HaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTc3Mzk2MTV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I really like the look of this, has been on my watchlist a while now.

I think it would make an excellent classic/interesting/retro daily driver. Pity it wasn't a year older and a bit cheaper!

• Advertisement

So, reporting back as promised. Went for a Sunday spin and passed by the Renault I was thinking of, so I was wrong thinking the one advertised was the same car. It's the same colour combination and same part of the country, so it's easy to make the mistake I suppose.

Well now......look what I found on my watch list from over 2 years ago.
    The very one....same location, marked as sold but obviously never was. It hasn't aged well.:pac:

533874.JPG

And this is why I rarely remove stuff from my list.:D

Original Irish reg 2 door Cortina over in Offaly on ebay.

s-l1600.png

kaizersoze wrote: »
    marked as sold but obviously never was.

If you withdraw the ad (for whatever reason), donedeal still puts it up as "sold" on watch lists.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e280-1995-cream-leather-100k-miles/26347310

YjM4MzcxYmUyMjNiZThjYzhiODMzOTA1YzFkZWFmNzXV0G8ErrPXVKZQ-Nq-O3y9aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjA3MDUwNDV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Dreaming at €6500?

I'm guessing someone paid a pretty hefty VRT bill on this not too long ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e280-1995-cream-leather-100k-miles/26347310

YjM4MzcxYmUyMjNiZThjYzhiODMzOTA1YzFkZWFmNzXV0G8ErrPXVKZQ-Nq-O3y9aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjA3MDUwNDV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Dreaming at €6500?

I'm guessing someone paid a pretty hefty VRT bill on this not too long ago
    Pops up on my searches almost every day.
    Nice, but not €6.5k nice. I don’t know much about Mercs but €4K maybe?

Probably a more realistic sum, though there is still the issue of an annual tax bill of €1200 for the next six years.

Probably a more realistic sum, though there is still the issue of an annual tax bill of €1200 for the next six years.
    Ouch, declare it off road probably best thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

Worse still tax @ €1391.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Rust on the rear arch in my experience means rust IN the rear arch. Pull off the plastic panels and there will be rust everywhere. If the rust is appearing on the roof then its going to be everywhere else in a year as the paint is giving up. Its a basic car and with that road tax and rust issues not to mention the engine wiring harness - which he didn't - I reckon €3k max but I'd like to see the MOT records

• Advertisement

w124man wrote: »
    Rust on the rear arch in my experience means rust IN the rear arch. Pull off the plastic panels and there will be rust everywhere. If the rust is appearing on the roof then its going to be everywhere else in a year as the paint is giving up. Its a basic car and with that road tax and rust issues not to mention the engine wiring harness - which he didn't - I reckon €3k max but I'd like to see the MOT records
    A polished turd?

Advertisement