Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

unkel wrote: »
    Woodie!

I believe they prefer to be called "Travellers". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Woodie!

Duke, this has your name all over it. What a bargain at just €2,450 asking, two grand will probably take it.

MjgwMzBmMTZjNDUzMjEwZTg1YjQzOWVkNDRkOTk1M2PFDzzB-dxASHmbe8u9J7nHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDY2ODg5ODh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Linky

There was one of these in the town I grew up. That was a long time ago and it was vintage even then :p Always admired it, and the owner for daring to drive something very different than anyone else.

That has been sitting outside a pub in Roundwood for years!

35541757271_bc60f4419d_z.jpg

A pity, I'd say its pretty shook

Have spent a good bit of money on the P38 recently, so no buying from me for a while :(

Morris "Ethnic Minority" doesn't quite have the same ring to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Traveller.

Woodie!

Duke, this has your name all over it. What a bargain at just €2,450 asking, two grand will probably take it.

ZGIwMTYyY2ZjYWM1M2I0NDRhNDJlMzFmYmEyOGZhYWKq-KJL6bGa93yRijNptMeIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDY2ODg5ODh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Linky

There was one of these in the town I grew up. That was a long time ago and it was vintage even then :p Always admired it, and the owner for daring to drive something very different than anyone else.

Absolutely and completely dangerous, the ash frame is structural and the slightest tip in that yoke would see everyone killed stone dead, it's a 500 donor car at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

welder wrote: »
    Inner wings are navy blue and have factory stickers so doesn't look to have been silver.

Actually I was a bit inebriated last night when I posted that and that's definitely not the same car I was thinking about.
    If it still has its original front wings I would be very impressed because they tend to rot out around the lights and are virtually impossible to replace. A lot of cars have horrible fiberglass replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It's cheap, and for a reason. It has a 3.0 diesel engine, but the original V8 is available. Looks good apart from that. Certainly a decent price. If it wasn't too rattly you could drive this for the summer and swap the engines back over winter. 1972 makes it one of the oldest RHD R107's around.

Yours for €7700

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/1972-mercedes-sl-may-p-x-motor-home-ect/24903395

NWU3M2JhMTRkMGM0OGExYmQ5N2M5MTY5OGUwYzkwNDUMjjRmqrnouuXEHj7i9S5AaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDc0OTQ2NTB8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Absolutely and completely dangerous, the ash frame is structural and the slightest tip in that yoke would see everyone killed stone dead, it's a 500 donor car at best.

I remember a Q@A with Ed China and he said they were worst for restoring. Wood, metal, water !

• Registered Users Posts: 65,051 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Absolutely and completely dangerous, the ash frame is structural and the slightest tip in that yoke would see everyone killed stone dead

That's the case for pretty much all classic cars. We tend not to post about it too much in here or even think about it too much...
    Have spent a good bit of money on the P38 recently, so no buying from me for a while :(

I've always liked the RR, but everyone has always shouted moneypit about them, even about the P38, probably the most reliable of them? Everybody can't be wrong :(

What stuff have you done? Surely at least you're enjoying the ride?

MAJJ wrote: »
    I remember a Q@A with Ed China and he said they were worst for restoring. Wood, metal, water !

You forgot the turned to white aluminium panels..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Some people wouldn't want to be seen dead in it. Cheap classic though! I'd say about 1600-1700 would take it. Hasn't had an NCT in a long time, so beware. Last of the good W124 cars though and the straight six will have had a deadly easy life :p

Linky
    You'd have no problem burying a stiff in that! :D

Not your ornery onager

That's the case for pretty much all classic cars. We tend not to post about it too much in here or even think about it too much...

I've always liked the RR, but everyone has always shouted moneypit about them, even about the P38, probably the most reliable of them? Everybody can't be wrong :(

I meant in its present condition the traveller is a death trap, people seem to think the timber is decorative like an american woody but it isn't, tackling it with group cert woodworking skills and some glue ain't going to cut it, they're an awful money pit. Most end up being donor cars for standard moggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Don't normally like white, but quite like the look of this:

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mitsubishi-sapporo/24775316

NjE4NDJhYjBmYWQwY2JkNjcwN2M5YTI4NTU2NDljOWFztpmKEejh76wdtSUgamWbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDY1NDU1MjZ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Ah, to be honest I can't really complain - it was all mostly routine stuff. It needs a service, glow plugs, tyres, rear discs and pads. Put a deposit down to have some paintwork done too.

Its a fantastic machine. I spent a little over the odds on it initially, because it was a good example, but even still it needs some expenditure. Once the above is sorted I will be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

A P38 on coils and a 2.5 diesel should be a good long term proposition if you can get a clean one. Theres not much goes wrong that cant be solved with a good multimeter and a soldering iron. A good RR diagnostic coder/reader runs about €300 now, and well worth it - essential if it still has air or auto. Running gear can be serviced with a big enough pry bar and a lump hammer.

After 5 Land Rover -free years I'm off to look at a 2001 Disco today. I must be mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭con747

Thoughts on this? It's been up a couple of times. Triumph 2000 1967 MK1 €2500 https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/triumph-2000-1967-mk1/25010952

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

A P38 on coils and a 2.5 diesel should be a good long term proposition if you can get a clean one. Theres not much goes wrong that cant be solved with a good multimeter and a soldering iron. A good RR diagnostic coder/reader runs about €300 now, and well worth it - essential if it still has air or auto. Running gear can be serviced with a big enough pry bar and a lump hammer.

After 5 Land Rover -free years I'm off to look at a 2001 Disco today. I must be mad.

This is still on air, but it works perfect (touch wood) and there is a 2017 receipt for a new compressor pump - so I’m hoping I’ll get a while out of it!

Last owner had it 12 years, and seems to have spent a good few quid on it and just generally looked after it. Like all old yokes there’s loads of niggly little things that need doing, which I wasn’t really expecting, but I can hardly hold that against a 23 year old Landrover product!

It’s bloody lovely though. I don’t use it enough, but I took it out today and spent my first day of freedom in it, it was class.

Heres a crap picture from today:

49985431136_4c81a55031_z.jpg

Also, I broke my "no more buying" pledge in less than 24 hours, which is a bit of a record I suppose:

49981656316_e7dd49485d_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I was watching that city on donedeal... Cool little . I would have nabbed it myself were it a manual gear box.. Best of luck with her!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

oceanman wrote: »
    Respray, and if you look under the rear right bumper there's over spray where there should be paint. I texted him for the uk number 2 days ago to do an mot check but he hasn't bothered answering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Respray

That's exactly what came to my mind when I saw it.

Ah, to be honest I can't really complain - it was all mostly routine stuff. It needs a service, glow plugs, tyres, rear discs and pads. Put a deposit down to have some paintwork done too.

Its a fantastic machine. I spent a little over the odds on it initially, because it was a good example, but even still it needs some expenditure. Once the above is sorted I will be happy!

Not sure if any of these P38 parts any use to you Duke just seen them advertised. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1384843221703349/

Is it a GT or not? It isn't very clear in the ad and there's no sign of a GT badge anywhere on the body. For 22 grand I'd be expecting a better looking interior tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Is it a GT or not? It isn't very clear in the ad and there's no sign of a GT badge anywhere on the body. For 22 grand I'd be expecting a better looking interior tbh.

The dash is not a GT dash.
    The covers on the base of the front seats dont look right. The stitching and beading (what you can see of it) on the back squabs look more like the original item.(from what I can remember of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,051 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Is it a GT or not?

It isn't and in fairness the seller doesn't claim it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭steinbock123

con747 wrote: »

The ad says power steering is easily fitted at a cost of about €200.
    Anybody tell me where??

The ad says power steering is easily fitted at a cost of about €200.
    Anybody tell me where??

Gran Tourismo?

• Advertisement

It isn't and in fairness the seller doesn't claim it is.

He only says GT five times in the ad... In other words, another overpriced, spray over the "repairs" restoration and shift her on to the next eejit... I've heard of the D factor in cars but that's just taking the piss.

Advertisement