Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

unkel wrote: »
    And they were all butchers :(
    most were, but I have come across one or two very good conversions in my time, few and far between though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Sold already.

2000 views in 16 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Jaguar XJ coupe. Seems very cheap, at least in comparison with UK prices.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/jaguar-xjc/24793902

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

con747 wrote: »

Nice. But why would he lie?

"The only down fall with the car is that there is not test due to the nct closures"

Does he think we are stupid? The car had no NCT before the outbreak of COVID-19 or any NCT closures. Or last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭con747

"The only down fall with the car is that there is not test due to the nct closures"

Does he think we are stupid? The car had no NCT before the outbreak of COVID-19 or any NCT closures. Or last year.

It was due an NCT on 19/08/2019. Not sure why he said what he said though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

outfox wrote: »

Yes, very cheap I think

this looks ok

firsta

MDVkMjNhNTAyZWM4M2Y3Njk4NGFhNjIyNTUxYzY5ZTVzdwAj-AtOkvQ2GWaFe6A8aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDYyMTAxNzN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's not necessarily a lie.

The car may have been out of use over the winter and can't be NCT'd now when he wants to sell.

He clearly states no NCT which is fair enough. It's all anyone need to know unless interested in the car. In which case a few questions would clear up the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Has anybody any real information on the Renault 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭con747

Apart from the seller saying he couldn't NCT it due to the test centres being closed all else looks good to me, he may well have valid reasons as pointed out. I know if it was in the midlands it would be in my shed by now though:(

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

elperello wrote: »
    It's not necessarily a lie.

I agree, particularly as it's entire possible that the NCT lifts thing is about this:

https://www.ncts.ie/1115 (expand the: "Temporary Suspension of Vehicle Inspection Lift in NCTS - Update" item).

Anyone caught out by this before the lockdown could have a partially or un-NCT'd car with a defunct NCT cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

RobAMerc wrote: »
    this looks ok

firsta

MDVkMjNhNTAyZWM4M2Y3Njk4NGFhNjIyNTUxYzY5ZTVzdwAj-AtOkvQ2GWaFe6A8aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDYyMTAxNzN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I am going to guess that the rust is quite bad on that. I have a Mk2. They tend to rust badly in a lot of hidden areas. That one is showing some obvious rust on the body, so I would be very careful about whats lies beneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I agree, particularly as it's entire possible that the NCT lifts thing is about this:

https://www.ncts.ie/1115 (expand the: "Temporary Suspension of Vehicle Inspection Lift in NCTS - Update" item).

Anyone caught out by this before the lockdown could have a partially or un-NCT'd car with a defunct NCT cert.

Thing is, the car was due it's NCT in the middle of last summer. That's long before any lift problems, or Covid closures.
    So last May, or June, the owner knew to get the car ready for it's upcoming test, but never did. Plus, it's only due every 2 years, so it would mean it's next NCT would be August 2021. That's an incentive in itself. And it also means it's last NCT was August 2017 as it stands now. 3 years ago. And if it was parked up for the winter, it was parked since the middle of summer.

The ad makes it sound like "if only for this covid thing, it'd have an NCT".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Jesus lads can we drop the R9 Nct talk.. please.

outfox wrote: »

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Jesus lads can we drop the R9 Nct talk.. please.

100%

I dont get why this hasnt people on here fuzzing - its a proper classic at what seems like very reasonable money !

If only I hadnt 3 cars in the drive, 1 in uk and a large chunk of change and time invested in a build project, I would be making a trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

1986? How did that happen?
    And how did it gain the extra power claimed?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mb-w124-300d-24v-110kw-vintage/24817031

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Seweryn wrote: »
    1986? How did that happen?
    And how did it gain the extra power claimed?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mb-w124-300d-24v-110kw-vintage/24817031
    Wild guess - turbo?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Wild guess - turbo?
    No.

That engine was not available with a turbocharger in the 124 series.

Secondly, turbocharged models were only available as LHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Seweryn wrote: »
    No.

That engine was not available with a turbocharger in the 124 series.

Secondly, turbocharged models were only available as LHD.

Well an '86 wouldn't come with 'Sacco boards' either so its pretty obvious that that one has had a comprehensive 'update' to a later spec so its not beyond the realms of possibility its had a engine swop too !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The standard Merc DT would not comfortably fit in RHD due to the position of the steering rack. Some companies did conversions with a different kind of turbo, though these are very rare. I've seen a couple of LHD turbos that have been upgraded with different intercoolers and extra oil coolers, I think the company that did them was Swedish/Danish? You'd see them with a stall at large agricultural trade fairs in Germany in the 1990's. Not sure how many they ever sold, but they had performance figures way better than MB at the time.

That car has had the complete interior and exterior swapped and has been resprayed to a 1992- colour. Mad amount of time and money spent on it to get a later looking car on a ZV plate. So much time and money, it just doesn't make much sense.
    Unless....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

KevRossi wrote: »
    The standard Merc DT would not comfortably fit in RHD due to the position of the steering rack. Some companies did conversions with a different kind of turbo, though these are very rare. I've seen a couple of LHD turbos that have been upgraded with different intercoolers and extra oil coolers, I think the company that did them was Swedish/Danish? You'd see them with a stall at large agricultural trade fairs in Germany in the 1990's. Not sure how many they ever sold, but they had performance figures way better than MB at the time.

That car has had the complete interior and exterior swapped and has been resprayed to a 1992- colour. Mad amount of time and money spent on it to get a later looking car on a ZV plate. So much time and money, it just doesn't make much sense.
    Unless....

Quite clear from the pictures that it’s got a turbo, but no intercooler. If it’s a 3 litre as stated then it’s got an OM606 which will easily make that power.
    Turbo can be fitted to RHD by modifying the exhaust manifold.

911s wrote: »
    Quite clear from the pictures that it’s got a turbo, but no intercooler.
    No, it does not have a turbo. Where can you see it on the photo? It is a normally aspirated OM606 that likely came with the car.
    If it’s a 3 litre as stated then it’s got an OM606 which will easily make that power.
    No it can't. The OM606 has about 100 kW in that form.
    Turbo can be fitted to RHD by modifying the exhaust manifold.
    Probably, but this one does not have it fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Far easier to grind out a chassis number and seam in a new one.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

My bad, looking at photos on phone it looked like a turbo between header tank and engine, still possible to easily increase power especially if it has mechanical pump, plenty black smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The OM603 was 3 litre non turbo, I don't think they were in RHD in 1986 though.
    I had a '91 it had an OM603 no turbo, It didn't have that body moulding or the vents on the front wing either.

hi5 wrote: »
    The OM603 was 3 litre non turbo, I don't think they were in RHD in 1986 though.
    OM603 was available in 1986. OM606 as in the ad was from 1993 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 not2be

Far easier to grind out a chassis number and seam in a new one.

Problem solved.

its down on cartell as a 200d (2.0) which will invalidate your insurance as the car is a 3.0......

aside from all the obvious things if you look at the dash it has a passenger airbag which became available as an option in late 1988 (according to Wikipedia)....

Obviously you have the fraud aspect, worse still tho I would hate to think about anyone buying this car as there could potentially be a stolen vehicle in the mix...... (that's if it is what it looks like etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1984-audi-80-b2-turbo-diesel-one-owner/24792890?campaign=3

YWRhNjFhODNlOThhM2E1ZWUyOGMzODdkZDBjNWNlNThiGMmQhkYlKswKtsK079pPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDY2NjE3MTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks like it could be a nice little project for €1500

1 owner original Irish Audi 80 turbo diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1984-audi-80-b2-turbo-diesel-one-owner/24792890?campaign=3

YWRhNjFhODNlOThhM2E1ZWUyOGMzODdkZDBjNWNlNThiGMmQhkYlKswKtsK079pPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDY2NjE3MTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks like it could be a nice little project for €1500

1 owner original Irish Audi 80 turbo diesel

Always liked that model 80, and especially the 90. A friends dad had a red 90, ZG987, which I drove a couple of times and it was a revelation compared to the stuff I was driving at the time, very smooth and quick !

• Advertisement

my dad had an '86 - 90. It was a cracking car and the 5 pot sounded awsome. but in the end it gave a stack of trouble. Broke down twice on the way to the dealer on the day we were selling it - Dad forgot to mention it on arrival at the dealer ;)

Advertisement