Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokey Start Up

Options
  • 08-04-2015 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

I have a 1.9td Ducato and it throws out a lot of smoke on start up until the engine has warmed up.

It's passed the CVRT emissions, been serviced oil change and filters - is there anything else I should be looking into?

There's no issues with performance, starts first time everytime - just embarrassing when you're leaving a site and cover the whole place in smoke!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Could it be the head gasket leaking oil in to the cylinders till it heats up?

White or black smoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Valve stem oil seals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

If its oil smoke stem seals is a good idea, if its unburnt diesel then check the cold start device, there are several types but they all advance the timing to help prevent smoke on startup.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Cheers lads,

It's not white smoke and not filthy black either, somewhere in between.

Might need the seals looked at in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

revileandy wrote: »
    Cheers lads,

It's not white smoke and not filthy black either, somewhere in between.

Might need the seals looked at in general.
    It's not unusual on those. Are the heater plugs good?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dee bee

talking of starting problems, my camper has of late started a screeching noise when i change gears. it usually subsides once the van is running. but sometimes it can start start up in the middle of a run. the engine oil seems to be topped up. any ideas what could be causing it? its a 92 ducato, 1.9L.

thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

dee bee wrote: »
    talking of starting problems, my camper has of late started a screeching noise when i change gears. it usually subsides once the van is running. but sometimes it can start start up in the middle of a run. the engine oil seems to be topped up. any ideas what could be causing it? its a 92 ducato, 1.9L.

thanks

Which last was the gearbox oil changed?

revileandy wrote: »
    I have a 1.9td Ducato and it throws out a lot of smoke on start up until the engine has warmed up.

Your lacking abit of heat from the glow plugs, abit of age wear on engine components too. I would test the glow plugs first.

not sure about that. probably the last service, if its supposed to be included. its not due for service for another 3000kms. i might get the oil checked anyways.

thanks dozer

• Advertisement

The gearbox oil and engine oil are separate identities, what is written on your last service report?

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    The gearbox oil and engine oil are separate identities, what is written on your last service report?

oh, i meant the gearbox oil. don't have the report on hand, so no idea.

not sure about that. probably the last service, if its supposed to be included.

Probably never then.

Easiest way to test glow plugs is run +12V on a jump lead or a wire from the battery and stick it to the thread of the plug while it's installed, the ones that don't spark are duds.
    You'd usually hear it sputter on startup anyways.

Easiest way to test glow plugs is run +12V on a jump lead or a wire from the battery and stick it to the thread of the plug while it's installed, the ones that don't spark are duds.

This is the most inaccurate method ever, even plugs that are underperforming will spark. :pac:

Well true...they won't spark if they're dead though...I said easiest. Take the full set out and compare them if you want.
    I only change one at a time.

Well true...they won't spark if they're dead though...I said easiest. Take the full set out and compare them if you want.
    I only change one at a time.

Comparing the best one to the worst one does not diagnose that the best one is working correctly either.

I agree. Compare the set to each other and the best to the shiney new spare and work from there.
    Or some mechanics would replace the entire set if one is struggling.

You have to accept the mechanics reason for changing out the set.

Here's a bench test. I'd skip to the 5min20 method but resistance test away it works too.

Best not touch the probe contacts like in the video though it'll create a potential divider with your body.
    Also wouldn't hold it in two hands for the same reason.

You have to accept the mechanics reason for changing out the set.

I understand why someone not mechanically inclined would appreciate it. ;)

• Advertisement

I understand why someone not mechanically inclined would appreciate it. ;)

Says the boy genuis, what are you expecting a garage to do if a camper comes in with bad starting, just change the one or two bad plugs and a week or month later another plug to go and the customer coming back throwing a tantrum and starting a thread on boards in the consumer issues? Wake up.
    Its fine for yourself or myself to change out a bad plug but if you are carrying it to a garage that would be the most cost efficient to the customer. Penny wise and pounds foolish.

Here's a bench test. I'd skip to the 5min20 method but resistance test away it works too.

I would advise anyone to skip to the end, he is a donkey.

Wake up? I've already agreed with you Dave!

Wake up? I've already agreed with you Dave!

My bad, this poteen is clouding my judgement :pac:

thanks

is the screeching there when you press the clutch without changing gears? Release bearing if so.

a loose fanbelt can cause that on occasion believe or no.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    a loose fanbelt can cause that on occasion believe or no.

A loose fan belt cause smokey exhaust how?

Settle down little donkey , I was following on from Moodraters reply , to DeeBee , in relation to the screeching belt noise. I've already been contacted by the OP and replied to them re the smokey start up. Which on a Pug 1.9 td of that age is more likely fuelling related than oil related.

A loose fan belt cause smokey exhaust how?

Lay off the poitín Dave.

• Advertisement

moodrater wrote: »
    Lay off the potteen Dave.

I was not addressing any post belong to you, i asked another poster to explain this wild theory.

Advertisement