Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coating a Boat

Options
  • 08-04-2015 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey, I'm making a small speed boat, its based on the Minimost boat plans. Its 1.8m long by 1.2m wide. The hull is made from 6mm marine plywood and the frame is made from thicker ply and 2x1's. I've two questions;
    1. For gluing together, is there a specific glue that needs to be used or will normal wood-glue do?
    2. For water-proofing/sealing the boat.. How can I go about this using products available in Ireland? I've looked up some stuff online but a lot of the chemicals I can't imagine being easy to find in your average Irish hardware store. I have no experience with this before, so any help at all would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi nhcovey and welcome, the best all round glue and sealer is epoxy resin and you can get it from most marine shops I like to use west systems as it's easy to work with just one pump of resin and harder each and mix so no weighing. There are also of youtube videos on how to use the stuff, to coat your boat you will have to use a fibreglass cloth I used 6 oz on mine, you lay it out and then wet it out with epoxy resin using a roller, paint brush or a piece of plastic like a credit card, it will take at least 3 coats to fill the weave with about a 3 hour gap between each coat.

This is the cloth dry

2011-09-27151054.jpg

And this is it wet out.

2011-09-28145640.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nhcovey

Cheers man! Thats perfect, thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

+1 for the west system,done a maxum 2300 about 8years ago with it

Advertisement