Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extendable Baton

Options
  • 08-04-2015 11:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hey Folks

Just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of where I could purchase one of these. Had a visitor from a burglar the other night. Just want to have it close in case it happens again.

FM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

as far as i know their illegal to have. i suggest a hurly or a baseball bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Why does it need to be extendable? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Unfortunately, they're classed as an illegal weapon: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82200402.

Maybe a big ol' hurl might be better?

Bambi wrote: »
    Why does it need to be extendable? :confused:

For the psychological effect of it snapping open, maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Fuseman

Easy to store/hide? As far as I know its illegal to have them as a weapon? Practically every taxi driver has one in his car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭pah

Of you clobbered someone with a bat and accidentally caught them in the head, they fell and died - you would have grounds in relation to self defence.

If the same thing happened with a metal extendable baton you might still be able to prove the self defence but you might have to answer to a charge under the offensive weapons act. It's an indictable offence so on conviction bye bye foreign visa or any form of vetting of you are involved in martial arts.

Forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gulliver wrote: »
    Unfortunately, they're classed as an illegal weapon: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82200402.

Maybe a big ol' hurl might be better?

Kids hurl, big ones are a hoor to swing indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wiskyjack

I personally have one which is purchased a long time ago in spain. But as stated if it used you will face charges.

Best advice is can give is find a club like ornament object. Hang it on a wall, and if you ever need it you can easily explain it. Ie you heard someone in the house and grabbed the nearest thing for the protection of your family.

wiskyjack wrote: »
    I personally have one which is purchased a long time ago in spain. But as stated if it used you will face charges.

Best advice is can give is find a club like ornament object. Hang it on a wall, and if you ever need it you can easily explain it. Ie you heard someone in the house and grabbed the nearest thing for the protection of your family.

Or the *ahem* wobbly melee weapon from GTA and Saints Row. Y'know the one I mean - sure most people have one lying around :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wiskyjack

Gulliver wrote: »
    Or the *ahem* wobbly melee weapon from GTA and Saints Row. Y'know the one I mean - sure most people have one lying around :pac:.

Lol.

I know when sempreit tyres was in Dublin, the lads used to get the extruded rubber and make clubs out of them. You could bend it in two but when hit with it it felt like a solid bat. My father was given one years ago and I had the pleasure of using it across the back after a scum bags legs as he was jumping over my back wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

Buy yourself a 4 D-cell Maglite and keep it beside your bed. It's practical, and I'd you do ever have to use it, it doesn't look like you grabbed a weapon, just a torch to have a look around when you heard a noise.

Grabbing a Hurley or bat, shows intent afaik

Advertisement