Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a Spring Baton?

Options
  • 12-12-2012 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, basically, I was attacked whilst in my car alone and with no weapons a couple of nights ago, in the end I got away unscathed but now I feel I'll need to have some sort of protection in my car now.

I think a spring baton would be ideal as it would fold down quite small, and I'd be able to conceal it down the side of my chair just in fear of anything arising again.

I've read on a few other websites about how they're illegal to use but somehow you're still allowed have them in your house as "souvenirs", also I've heard of a few people having them and I was wondering how could they get them into the country.

I heard that custom's could confiscate it if they find it.

I'd just like to know for example, would there be "less" chance of custom's checking parcels from some countries like England or Germany i.e. countries inside the E.U.

Also, would any of you know any website's that I could purchase a baton from with a low risk of it being confiscated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Would locking the doors and keeping the engine running not be a more sensible solution all round?

You can use a certain amount of force in protecting yourself but having a concealed weapon you advertised on the internet won't go down too well in your manslaughter case. (yeah yeah I know you won't kill anybody)

Beyond all that surely a tire iron does the same job?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ed Sheeran

I forgot to put at the end of my post that I don't want anyone giving me advice on how to avoid using one.
    The whole point of getting a spring baton is that it's small and you can conceal it, how am I supposed to conceal a tire iron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It would be classed as an offensive weapon and leave you liable to prosecution.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Ed Sheeran wrote: »

I've read on a few other websites about how they're illegal to use but somehow you're still allowed have them in your house as "souvenirs", also I've heard of a few people having them and I was wondering how could they get them into the country.

I'd just like to know for example, would there be "less" chance of custom's checking parcels from some countries like England or Germany i.e. countries inside the E.U.

Spring loaded batons are still illegal in the UK and Germany AFAIK.

....and i'm fairly sure discussion of how to circumvent customs is a 'no no' on boards, regardless of the fact customs aren't particularly enforced between EU countries.

Bottom line: Sorry you were attacked, but you can't legally import one. You can't legally have one in your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Hi, basically, I was attacked whilst in my car alone and with no weapons a couple of nights ago, in the end I got away unscathed but now I feel I'll need to have some sort of protection in my car now.

I think a spring baton would be ideal as it would fold down quite small, and I'd be able to conceal it down the side of my chair just in fear of anything arising again.

Also, would any of you know any website's that I could purchase a baton from with a low risk of it being confiscated.

Thanks in advance.

Well first off its an offensive weapon according to http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/si/0066.html it (k)

Section 12 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act, 1990
    Prohibits the importation of any offencive weapon.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0012/sec0012.html

Also worth looking at Section 11 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0012/sec0011.html#sec11

Also section 9 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0012/sec0009.html#sec9

BTW as an aside having a conviction under the above Act is in reality very serious, once people hear conviction under offensive weapons Act things become difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I'd advise against it. 100%. Apart from the legality, I wouldn't want it turned on me if it was grabbed from my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

I forgot to put at the end of my post that I don't want anyone giving me advice on how to avoid using one.
    The whole point of getting a spring baton is that it's small and you can conceal it, how am I supposed to conceal a tire iron.

This is the legal discussion forum, these are the kind of responses you will get here. I think the kinds of responses you're looking for are more after hours than legal discussion.

Basically, if you have one and use it you will not be able to claim self defence, having a concealed weapon would show pre-meditation. You would get destroyed in Court in an assault case.

Take the above advice. Lock your doors driving around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

The above posters are basically saying its a dumb idea legally, so too martially!

Try swing any batton-like item inside a car! Its impractical! Your hips are restricted in a seated position so you will have no stopping power. Also youll have to cross your own centre line in either direction so power will be virtually non-existant! All you would have is arm power and less room to use them. A Disney fairygodmother and her magic wand comes to mind.

I doubt very much that the spring open "magic" feature will have any effect on an attacker bar escalating the conflict. Id imagine you will suffer a more serious assault and have the weapon taken off you as a trophy.

To top it off, looks like youll be charged for the pleasure.

its natural after assualts to want to get even, take a breath!

Dont just react, try learn from your experience, im sure you already have a few ideas on how you could have avoided the situation or have learned to recognise some agressive cues your attacker made? take from this experience, like a fighter learns from a loss! make it positive! You came out uninjured, you must have done something right!

Under the seat.

You didnt answer the question ref keeping the doors locked.

All in all a daft idea - I can understand why given the attack but realistically how often is it likely to happen? (Genuine question perhaps you have to sit in your car for long periods in dodgey areas - security work or something)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,234 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What Niall Keane said.

Legality aside, a baton/truncheon type weapon is not effective when you are seated in a confined space. It might be quite useful to the assailant who is standing over you at the open car door and who has just taken it from you, though.

I know you said that you aren't looking for advice on how to avoid the situation. But you should be. Techniques and tactics for avoiding the situation offer you far better protection from injury or theft than any weapon can.

I'm really, really sorry about the assault you suffered. Even if you're not physically hurt in an incident like that, it can be devastating. I completely understand the desire for a weapon of some kind for self-defence. But any feeling of protection that it brings you will be largely illusory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

This may sound strange but a pen and some practice with it may be a good thing to keep in the car. It's innocuous to Gardai, but a well made pen can hit the eyes, pressure points or even kill someone. A pen will let you hit an arm that comes through your window with considerable pain.

http://www.bladeplay.com/item--CRKT-Black-Aluminum-Williams--10615

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

I've seen telescopic batons on sale in a shop in Dublin - don't think they're spring-loaded. You need to shake it to extend the full-lenght bar. Allegedly some people use them as walking aids...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GullibleOne

Under the seat.

You didnt answer the question ref keeping the doors locked.

All in all a daft idea - I can understand why given the attack but realistically how often is it likely to happen? (Genuine question perhaps you have to sit in your car for long periods in dodgey areas - security work or something)
    and that is not premeditation?

and that is not premeditation?

of?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

dublin daz wrote: »
    I've seen telescopic batons on sale in a shop in Dublin - don't think they're spring-loaded. You need to shake it to extend the full-lenght bar. Allegedly some people use them as walking aids...

Which shop? PM if in doubt.

Advertisement