Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OpenSparkz - already dead in the water?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

PARlance wrote: »
    It's as close to 100% finished from what I heard. Investors for projects like this will be hard found and they needed to be found last week from what I've heard from someone in there.

That's a real shame....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Any sign of anything happening or can we write it off at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Any sign of anything happening or can we write it off at this stage?

It has already been wound down, just before Christmas. (It was over as soon as the investor pulled out.)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

PARlance wrote:
    It has already been wound down, just before Christmas. (It was over as soon as the investor pulled out.)

What about Opensparx?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What about Opensparx?

Did it ever wind up?

Any update on this? It's been 2 years and still nothing.......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Any update on this? It's been 2 years and still nothing.......

Someone only asking me that today. Total spoof project I'd be thinking.

On a side note, I see 5 IDA visits to Mayo. Considering Leitrim at 8, Sligo 28 and Galway 42, we really don't bother trying.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/02/11/4134777-ida-irelands-mayo-visit-figures-fail-to-inspire-confidence/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

yop wrote: »
    Someone only asking me that today. Total spoof project I'd be thinking.

On a side note, I see 5 IDA visits to Mayo. Considering Leitrim at 8, Sligo 28 and Galway 42, we really don't bother trying.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/02/11/4134777-ida-irelands-mayo-visit-figures-fail-to-inspire-confidence/

The IDA had something like 17 visits since the start of 2009 till the end of last year.

Any bets they flip the building for a profit.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Any bets they flip the building for a profit.

I predicted this when the sale went through

The council had a condition in the sale that they get first refusal if the building comes back in the market.

What they should have insisted on was first refusal at the amount paid to them if targets from openfail were not met.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Indoor Ag

Any update on the Hungry Planet Vertical Farm and LED manufacturing facility ? Did anything ever happen or was it just a lot of talk. 200 new jobs announced in Castlebar last year. Are they still in business or gone ?

Indoor Ag wrote: »
    Any update on the Hungry Planet Vertical Farm and LED manufacturing facility ? Did anything ever happen or was it just a lot of talk. 200 new jobs announced in Castlebar last year. Are they still in business or gone ?

Wait.... They were planning to produce LEDs in Castlebar? Talk about missing the boat!

That's what they said.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wait.... They were planning to produce LEDs in Castlebar? Talk about missing the boat!

Vertical farming only. Plenty of interviews. No hires.

Inda will have left a big legacy in the county when he leaves next week.

No hires, sounds like a money issue. Have they started work on the farm ? I guess not, if they have no employees.

irishgeo wrote: »

Never copped there was 3.

Great to see that 1200 jobs created in Dublin this week though, considering there are no houses, rent is now higher than any time during the boom and 40% of business rentals in 2016 still haven't been built, then thats going to work out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Indoor Ag wrote: »

They had an issue with facilities, last I heard from them. Tone of the mail indicated that candidates should continue to look for work elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WestNewPort

Anyone know whats happening here.

Were there any jobs actually given?

• Advertisement

Anyone know whats happening here.

Were there any jobs actually given?

It's not happening, never was.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

The IDA have a fairly good record in assessing projects. While business is uncertain, it would be unusual if all three of their projects introduced to a particular area failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TruthEnforcer

nuac wrote: »
    The IDA have a fairly good record in assessing projects. While business is uncertain, it would be unusual if all three of their projects introduced to a particular area failed.

The IDA had nothing to do with this 'Debacle' it was all at the instance of a local County Councilllor, Mayo County Council and the Council's Local Enterprise Office . all of whom have both a vested interest and a lack of experience in Job Creation !!

Its all gone 'Pete Tong' .. No Jobs .. Failed Promises from the Fine Gael councillor(s) and then Taoiseach Enda Kenny (who I'm sure got a nice load of votes out of the whole 'False Dawn' and probably some air miles too ?

Now where does that leave Mayo County Council and its Local Enterprise Office with regards to the Property itself and all the Fees (Legal and Transfer) incurred by the County Council ... who's to blame directly for the obvious 'mess' *** REMOVING

How much has this cost Mayo County Council and its LEO ?

If Taxpayers money is being used to 'attract' companies to Castlebar / Mayo, then those that spend that money should be held to account .. simple as ..

Can we now train our attention on the recent announcement of February last (2019) that Meissner Filtratiom products were taking the new IDA built Advance Factory / Unit on the Breaffy Road !

I'd be more hopeful on this one as its an IDA project with experienced people involved... mind you can't see the total jobs of 150 over 5 years being generated .. but we'll have to wait till 2014 to find out !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

If Taxpayers money is being used to 'attract' companies to Castlebar / Mayo, then those that spend that money should be held to account .. simple as ..

Can we now train our attention on the recent announcement of February last (2019) that Meissner Filtratiom products were taking the new IDA built Advance Factory / Unit on the Breaffy Road !

I'd be more hopeful on this one as its an IDA project with experienced people involved... mind you can't see the total jobs of 150 over 5 years being generated .. but we'll have to wait till 2014 to find out !
    I know they're working on designing the interior of the building. It's a fairly large fit out of custom designed and built equipment. They'll need fire and disability access certificates to from the local authority. Then they can go out to tender to builders. Then the builders start and when they finish I'd expected a long time is required to test the equipment before production starts.

If it was a simple office fit out you'd be in after 3-6 months but this will probably take two years anyway.
    Having said that they are using local architects and engineers at the moment during design so money is getting spent locally even if it's small and soon local builders and trades will be working on it. Permanent staff are still a bit off.

The 150 total staff is probably including the expansion of the existing building as they also got the adjoining site to the rear. It will be a push to get that up and finished in 5 years as I'd say the focus is on getting the current building up and running first. We'll know when and if they lodge planning. That's what I'd use as a marker not what a politician announces.

Dudda wrote: »
    I know they're working on designing the interior of the building. It's a fairly large fit out of custom designed and built equipment. They'll need fire and disability access certificates to from the local authority. Then they can go out to tender to builders. Then the builders start and when they finish I'd expected a long time is required to test the equipment before production starts.

If it was a simple office fit out you'd be in after 3-6 months but this will probably take two years anyway.
    Having said that they are using local architects and engineers at the moment during design so money is getting spent locally even if it's small and soon local builders and trades will be working on it. Permanent staff are still a bit off.

The 150 total staff is probably including the expansion of the existing building as they also got the adjoining site to the rear. It will be a push to get that up and finished in 5 years as I'd say the focus is on getting the current building up and running first. We'll know when and if they lodge planning. That's what I'd use as a marker not what a politician announces.

the green construction barriers are up and the IDA sign covered up, thats more movement than i seen on any other "jobs" announcement.

Advertisement