Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody tried Alexander Technique?

Options
  • 07-04-2015 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Would love to hear your experiences. And anybody you'd recommend? I have back problems and it's been suggested I try this. I'm based in Dublin, southside of the city. I don't mind travelling a bit but the closer the better. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Yep.

I read a book about it many years ago and rather than going to a practitioner I found great benefit in simply becoming body aware of posture. It takes a bit of practise and probably some work in front of a mirror to get body aware as to how you are standing or sitting so that you become subconsciously aware of the stresses you are putting on the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 abeerakhan

What is this Alexander Technique ?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

From good old Wikipedia:
    The Alexander technique, named after Frederick Matthias Alexander, teaches people how to avoid unnecessary muscular and mental tension during their everyday activities. It is an educational process rather than a relaxation technique or form of exercise. Most other methods take it for granted that 'one's awareness of oneself' is accurate, whereas Alexander realized that a person who had been using himself wrongly for a long time could not trust his feelings (sensory appreciation) in carrying out any activity (Bloch, 221)[full citation needed]. Practitioners say that such problems are often caused by repeated misuse of the body over a long period of time, for example, by standing or sitting with one's weight unevenly distributed, holding one's head incorrectly, or walking or running inefficiently. The purpose of the Alexander technique is to help people unlearn maladaptive physical habits and return to a balanced state of rest and poise in which the body is well-aligned.[1]
    Alexander developed the technique's principles in the 1890s[2] as a personal tool to alleviate breathing problems and hoarseness during public speaking.

Advertisement