Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st time health insurance query... anyone?

Options
  • 06-04-2015 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    reading all the disaster accounts in the public health system at the min and the impending increase on new applicants over 35 i'm looking to get health insurance for my family and wondering what my best options are. All advice welcomed.
    Our background is:

Dad 40yrs healthy non-smoker
    Mam 35 healthy non-smoker
    Son 4 yrs old healthy
    Daughter 3yrs old healthy

Im part of the TUI if this makes any difference and have never had health insurance before. as I say all advice re price and policies are welcomed as I want to get this sorted out sooner rather than later.

I have also heard that there is a waiting period for insurance to become active of 24-26 weeks of taking up a new policy... can this be right? your paying to be insured but your nor covered until after this period of time?

any and all advice is welcomed
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Yes there is a waiting period, basically to cover their asses so its not a case of you get sick and then take out cover or have an underlying illness you didn't know about that comes to light in the waiting period. I personally think health insurance is very important and have been covered since the day I Was born.

The TUI I believe have some special rates available through their broker (cornmarket http://www.cornmarket.ie/product/health-insurance/tui?utm_source=tuiweb&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=tuiwebtextapril14 ). It is worth getting in touch with them about policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Check out hia.ie for comparisons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Decide what level of cover you want, and do a bit of online research, as to what plans would suit you, with each of the companies. Also ring around, and see what can be done. I have heard of waiting periods being waived or shortened when it's been pushed for over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭LostArt

Drop the hia an email. info@hia.ie

Advertisement