Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming soon to TV3

Options
  • 05-04-2015 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭

Coming soon to TV3 .....paramedics
    Fly on the wall series

I presume it will be Ireland's answer to Channel 4's '999 What's your emergency?'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

no doubt it will all be in Dublin with flashing lights and traffic dodging at high speed, or they might show the country version where they speed around in a desperate search to find your house in the middle of nowhere then after the hour wait they can "rush" you to the nearest open hospital 80 minutes away in a futile attempt to save you from your heart attack or stroke that cannot be treated at your local hospital because they can only put on bandages and stick cameras up your arse there, between 9am and 5pm. Can't Wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

no doubt it will all be in Dublin with flashing lights and traffic dodging at high speed, or they might show the country version where they speed around in a desperate search to find your house in the middle of nowhere then after the hour wait they can "rush" you to the nearest open hospital 80 minutes away in a futile attempt to save you from your heart attack or stroke that cannot be treated at your local hospital because they can only put on bandages and stick cameras up your arse there, between 9am and 5pm. Can't Wait.

It's in dublin I think Wicklow and also in cork here's the advert for it http://www.tv3.ie/3player/mobile/724/91727/

will be interesting how the show it I'm sure they won't show a lot if any of the things you describe I hope they do to show the public how hard the crews work.
    I think it looks good tho hopefully will give a good look inside the ambulance service and what they do (not just ambulance drivers) and the crews can actually do a lot to treat the patients out of hospital to the public

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I'm still waiting for another series of Traffic Blues or similar to come back on, but this'll do for the meantime! :pac:
    Seriously though, I hope this is good, we have an awful lack of anything like this on at the moment and no doubt people will be out in force already to slate it before it's even shown, as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'm still waiting for another series of Traffic Blues or similar to come back on, but this'll do for the meantime! :pac:
    Seriously though, I hope this is good, we have an awful lack of anything like this on at the moment and no doubt people will be out in force already to slate it before it's even shown, as usual

To be fair the only recent comparable show was Firefighters, and compared to Traffic Blues that could have won Oscars.

Preview looks good.

No dates released for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

No dates released for this?
    This Thursday 9pm.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This Thursday 9pm.

Just looked at the link now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

I'm actually really looking forward to this.

It really is a heart racing feeling in a time specific scenario.
    When I did my placement with HSE Paramedics for my EMT it was very very exciting and it felt great to be helping someone in their time of need.

I'm sure the Paramedics are well used to it but at the time it was the biggest stepping stone and eye opener to me and really help me pursue a career as a Paramedic :)

So I can only imagine that's what this will show.

There was another show out there about Junior Paramedics I think it was on UTV. Very very good watch I must say.

Watched it on 3 player there - really not a bad show tbh. I'll watch it again.

Yer man looks an awful lot like Gordon Ramsay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

http://www.rte.ie/presspack/2013/10/17/nightshift-reality-bites/

'Gordon Ramsey' (the cork AP) and his female colleague are no stranger to the cameras
    They appeared on RTEs reality bites programme 2 yrs ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

Watched it on 3 player there - really not a bad show tbh. I'll watch it again.

Yer man looks an awful lot like Gordon Ramsay
    D Trent wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/presspack/2013/10/17/nightshift-reality-bites/

'Gordon Ramsey' (the cork AP) and his female colleague are no stranger to the cameras
    They appeared on RTEs reality bites programme 2 yrs ago

Was a great show I'll admit. Really shows the helping side to the Paramedics that people take for granted.

The Gordon Ramsey thing was a little funny I'll admit but think it was dragged out abit :P

I remember at one point he made a bad joke and laughed and it just paused for like 3 seconds. I actually cringed hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

TBH i didnt like the show. I cant even explain why other than there was no entertainment value to it when you compare it to the english shows.

I dont think the irish will ever get on par with the english programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

TBH i didnt like the show. I cant even explain why other than there was no entertainment value to it when you compare it to the english shows.

I dont think the irish will ever get on par with the english programmes.

The UK shows seem to move at a quicker pace for sure - and I imagine - more calls would be shown in an hour in a UK show.

However - still an interesting programme in my view - and Im looking forward to what happens next week.

Id love to see more explained about some of the things an Advanced Paramedic can do - the mentions of the drug to reverse the effects of the heroin was interesting (Narcan - the other name for it escapes me).

Hopefully other episodes will look at this in better detail - maybe when we see other types of calls.

Will be interesting if we will see what goes on with the RRVs - just Ambos so far.

Btw - not sure how that thumbs down symbol came up on the top left hand corner of my post - I certainly didn't intend to put it there - how can I remove it?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Old diesel wrote: »
    The UK shows seem to move at a quicker pace for sure - and I imagine - more calls would be shown in an hour in a UK show.

However - still an interesting programme in my view - and Im looking forward to what happens next week.

Id love to see more explained about some of the things an Advanced Paramedic can do - the mentions of the drug to reverse the effects of the heroin was interesting (Narcan - the other name for it escapes me).

Hopefully other episodes will look at this in better detail - maybe when we see other types of calls.

Will be interesting if we will see what goes on with the RRVs - just Ambos so far.

Naloxone is the other name narcan is a brand name where as naloxone is the the drug like paracetamol is dug name and panadol is brand name for example :) uk shows seem to move a bit faster alright and show more calls but I think the show last night was very good looking forward to the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Good show.. Those paramedics are really great people... They all seem to like their jobs which is a good thing......

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

Why all the talking? I personally think it's the ruination of the show

How do you mean exactly?

I quite enjoyed this episode. The part on the ambulance bikes especially, I learned something new there

I'm really enjoying this

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How do you mean exactly?

I quite enjoyed this episode. The part on the ambulance bikes especially, I learned something new there

I'm really enjoying this

Just watching this now have to admire the compassion if the paramedics

Pretty normal on this sort of show - traffic cops and other Uk emergency services type programmes have the people involved - paramedics/cops etc talking about whatever situation it is.

It gives a nice insight for those - like me - who wouldn't be familiar with the everyday goings on in the Ambulance service

Another decent episode - but im wondering why the roof of the Megane didn't come off to take the lady out of it?????

Well im fairly show it didn't come off

• Advertisement

I was wondering the same myself re. the Megane.

No way they'd get that board into the car

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Another decent episode - but im wondering why the roof of the Megane didn't come off to take the lady out of it?????

Maybe she wasn't trapped, with good patient management you can easily get patients out without the need for cutting cars.

Bang Bang wrote: »
    Maybe she wasn't trapped, with good patient management you can easily get patients out without the need for cutting cars.

My apologies - I thought on the programme they were talking about (potential) spinal injuries etc.

If it can all be done safely without the roof coming off then no problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

My apologies - I thought on the programme they were talking about (potential) spinal injuries etc.

If it can all be done safely without the roof coming off then no problem :)

Spinal injuries or potential spinal injuries can be managed quite well when a patient is not physically trapped. In many cases there is no need for the cutting of cars. If the impact is so great that the patient is trapped then yes cut away to free them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Aswell it was in rural Wicklow, so retained fire station territory, if they were requested post ambulance arrival on scene talking 20 minutes minimum till arrival and then making the convertible takes a while, if patient not trapped it's just the best way to go, more harmful to have them waiting there most likely

Interesting research in UL recently that self extrication may actually be the way to go in the future!

timmywex wrote: »
    Aswell it was in rural Wicklow, so retained fire station territory, if they were requested post ambulance arrival on scene talking 20 minutes minimum till arrival and then making the convertible takes a while, if patient not trapped it's just the best way to go, more harmful to have them waiting there most likely

Interesting research in UL recently that self extrication may actually be the way to go in the future!

Yes - retained firefighter territory I imagine.

One of DFBs twitter accounts was quick to remind us that DFB would have had a "motor" with EIGHT firefighter/paramedics on scene ready to deal with anything.

Plus DFB ambos as well.

But one thing this programme highlights is the value Paramedics and Advanced Paramedics have IN THEIR OWN RIGHT.

The though that a Paramedic is only valuable if he or she does something else as well (firefighter/coastguard) - which is the idea the DFB model puts out there - needs nipping in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

The though that a Paramedic is only valuable if he or she does something else as well (firefighter/coastguard) - which is the idea the DFB model puts out there - needs nipping in the bud.

That's an absolutely bizzare statement. I have never, ever seen anyone put out the idea that a standalone Paramedic has no value

Paulzx wrote: »
    That's an absolutely bizzare statement. I have never, ever seen anyone put out the idea that a standalone Paramedic has no value

Im sorry :( made a mess up of that post :(

Looking back at my post now - and can't believe I wrote it as I did :(

No the DFB model doesn't put that idea out there - I was wrong to say that - my apologies.

I suppose what im not keen on is in the future is the potential of having the Paramedic/Advanced Paramedic roles been thought off - as a role that can simply be added to another role. When I said no value - I meant having the role as an add on to ANOTHER role makes the Paramedic role appear to be seen as having less value.

Which I don't agree with.

I suppose what im trying to say - and making a mess up of it I know - is that I think the Paramedic and Advanced Paramedic - especially the latter - fully justify been standalone roles - and the Ambo service itself - is of sufficient importance to merit been a service OF ITS OWN.

Peters hilarious

"if wed known you worked for revenue - you wouldn't have got any morphine"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Peters hilarious

"if wed known you worked for revenue - you wouldn't have got any morphine"

He's been featured quite a bit, excellent AP by the look of it, treats everyone with respect, with a dose of humour added in also :D

Advertisement