Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost weight. Where to go from here.

Options
  • 04-04-2015 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm almost 30, 6 foot, male and currently weigh 10stone11. I have always been skinny and have been able to eat anything I wanted although my diet was terrible.

Over the past two years I started putting on a lot of fat, especially around my legs, tummy and face. Last autumn I changed my diet (somewhat!) snd started walking and have lost the extra weight. A total of 1.5stone. I'm now happy with my weight but don't know where to go from here.

I currently have really scrawny arms and a pretty slim torso though am a bit flabby around my nipples and lower tummy under my belly button. More than anything I would like to build up a bit of definition, some shape to make pecs and although I'd ideally love a 6 pack, but realistically even to lose the ponch under my belly button would do. I have been doing so well with the weightloss that now I'm at my goal I don't know where to go from here but anxious that I don't simply continue to lose weight. I'm not in a gym.

any advice on Where should I go from here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What times of the day do you eat food? How much food do you eat per day? What food do you eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Independent1

What times of the day do you eat food? How much food do you eat per day? What food do you eat?

Food wise I generally have a yogurt for breakfast, maybe some crackers and cheese or a roll for lunch, meat veg and potatoes for dinner and maybe some nuts/crisps thrown in as a snack. I have to admit to the regular take away also. I have majorly cut back in this though and are home cooking pretty much all my food. Have also cut right back on fizzy drinks, although I know I need to cut back on the alcohol also!

I could happily go all day without eating but it's the evenings that are a killer for me. I've been using the my fitness pal app and generally eating around 1800calories a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Time to bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kettlebelljim

You my friend are what the fitness business calls 'skinny fat'
    Start bodyweight training at home, pushups, lunges, pullups, squats.
    That'll get you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

You my friend are what the fitness business calls 'skinny fat'
    Start bodyweight training at home, pushups, lunges, pullups, squats.
    That'll get you started.

That's a good start, but ideally a gym would be his best option.

• Advertisement

That's a good start, but ideally a gym would be his best option.

Agreed but to get him started he needs a baseline.

Thanks guys. I'm afraid the gym isn't an option (at least not for the next couple of months due to the cost). Also I'm extremely self conscious... Is there anything I could do in the meantime? Just googled 'skinny fat' and this seems to sum me up completely! I could work on push ups, lunges etc but I have to say I'm terribly weak. Also I have no equipment at all and no experience whatsoever or weights etc.

Thanks guys. I'm afraid the gym isn't an option (at least not for the next couple of months due to the cost). Also I'm extremely self conscious... Is there anything I could do in the meantime? Just googled 'skinny fat' and this seems to sum me up completely! I could work on push ups, lunges etc but I have to say I'm terribly weak. Also I have no equipment at all and no experience whatsoever or weights etc.

The internet is full of home workouts with little or no equipment. Work away on the pushups and lunges. Progress will be surprsingly quick as your body is designed to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crestglan

you tube is great for getting ideas on exercise type in exercise to build muscle and you have a pick of videos to watch,
    Great when money is tight

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I could work on push ups, lunges etc but I have to say I'm terribly weak.

Everyone is weak before they start working out. Google "best body weight exercises", look up Youtube videos of demonstrations, go from there. It'll be weird and hard at first but you'll find your body adapting within days.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much you guys. I had been googling but had never thought of YouTube. Sounds exactly like I need, I'm at the weight I want to be but it's totally the muscle that's letting me down. Now is a perfect time for me to start as I have some time off work. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Put a routine together and post it here.
    You'll soon know if its covering the basics.

Go to local park or playing field and do it.

Record progress.

Thanks so much you guys have been really helpful. I have found two workouts that I have been following from YouTube. One is called "25 minute beginners workout routine - beginner exercises" and the other is called "25 minute workout without weights - exercises to lose belly fat" and they are both by the same people 'HASfit'.

I have been trying to do the two consecutively but can only do two sets of the second one before I'm absolutely exhausted.

Do these seem ok? The abb part on the first one I find good but I'm afraid the second one is too much about cardio rather than muscle building, although I guess I need to lose the belly fat before building muscle.

Thanks again for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Man I used to be like you, 5'9" and 10 1/2 stone, a skinny guy who started getting a belly on his skinny ass frame. Took me a long time to realise I could get bigger through training and eating properly but it has been worth it. Just shy of 12 stone now at 34 years old, still have a bit of fat round the tummy which I plan on cutting eventually but I don't care too much. I'm happy with my progress, chest and lats are developing nicely and my strength gains are coming along slowly but I'm progressing :). Good luck with your journey, train hard and eat well and you'll notice changes to your body soon enough. It's like a drug getting bigger!

Advertisement