Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100% Chicken Breast, But ?

Options
  • 03-04-2015 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭

I have a package here (not naming names)...

On the front of this package it has a 'Made With' 100% chicken breast ? ok that seems ok, but on the ingredients it says.. as follows... Chicken breast 51% :eek:

Is this false advertising on the package ? or is 51% chicken breast really 100% chicken breast. It's either 100% or its not.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Probably is made with chicken breast, but then seasoning and other chemicals added, would bring the total percentage down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

51% of the contents of the bag is chicken breast. The chicken breast itself is 100% chicken breast

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Theyre saying the meat content is all chicken and not say, frog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

PandaPoo wrote: »
    51% of the contents of the bag is chicken breast. The chicken breast itself is 100% chicken breast

Yep, just what I was thinking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Bloody chickens at it again with their mind games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

20% less fat.....

Les fat than what ? lard ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

PandaPoo wrote: »

This is getting more complicated as we go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

The problem is its a horse burger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Forfty percent chicken it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Unless it has nipples there's definitely no Chicken breast in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it's saying that all of the chicken in it is breast meat.

What chicken that's in it, is 100% breast meat although probably recovered breast meat, and probably from 100's of chickens. Then they inject water into it with preservatives and flavour enhancers, then they shape it to look like it's its one piece of chicken.

Its just reformed, mechanically recovered white meat, with added water and enhancers, and presumably covered in batter or 'breadcrumbs' which makes up for the rest of the %age. It's leftovers, basically.

it's saying that all of the chicken in it is breast meat.

If the package says 100% chicken breast. ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

This shouldn't come as a surprise.

The packaging has a disproportionately large "100%" sign on the front, with the intention that people like the OP will mistake that number for what the product is - when all it's describing is one part of the product.

People can't really see it with products like chicken, but if a yoghurt went around advertising itself as "100% yoghurt", they'd spot the issue right away.

In summary, you've been duped OP.

Emulsifiers inside it, feels like it will explode if i ingest it, not good at all.

E450 ? E500 ? fcuk this... I'm going to make a fried egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

If chicken fillets come from a box its most likely they are breaded or coated in batter.51% i
    meat content is a bit stingy though.

Candie wrote: »
    What chicken that's in it, is 100% breast meat although probably recovered breast meat, and probably from 100's of chickens. Then they inject water into it with preservatives and flavour enhancers, then they shape it to look like it's its one piece of chicken.

Its just reformed, mechanically recovered white meat, with added water and enhancers, and presumably covered in batter or 'breadcrumbs' which makes up for the rest of the %age. It's leftovers, basically.

You mean fcuked up completely. Well, into the freezer it goes for the needy when looking for a munchie on the night. Not into that whacko stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's referring to the meat content. It's all chicken breast and not, say, gizzard.

It would help if you said what the product was, because if it's something like a chicken kiev is should be fairly obvious that it's not made entirely out of chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Its really not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

If it was 100% chicken breast, then you would just have bought a chicken breast!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

Is the product breaded? They could mean that of the chicken in packet, its is 100% chicken.

I.e the product is breaded chicken, 49% bread and 51% chicken

It's referring to the meat content. It's all chicken breast and not, say, gizzard.

It would help if you said what the product was, because if it's something like a chicken kiev is should be fairly obvious that it's not made entirely out of chicken.

BirdsEye. 2 crispy chicken.

I'm starving to death here, and I'm whinging about chickens and emulsifiers and E400's WTF am I doing. A chicken burger sounds good, but it's half chicken ?.

An Idea... a fried egg omelette on cheese with a sprinkling of parsley sounds better. Them chickens are not like they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Is the product breaded? They could mean that of the chicken in packet, its is 100% chicken.

I.e the product is breaded chicken, 49% bread and 51% chicken

It doesn't say 100% 'breaded', so we don't know if the 49% 'breaded' is made up of 100% 'breaded'.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, makes a difference from people throwing up from eating this nutritional sewage.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,313 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

1/2 a breast for the price of one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

How the **** is this a thread, If it says made of 100% chicken breast then it's 100% chicken breast. If it says made with 100% chicken breast then part of it is 100% chicken breast.

If I make a bowl of cornflakes then it's made with 100% cornflakes and some milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

I'm confused, why is this confusing to ppl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

rarnes1 wrote: »
    1/2 a breast for the price of one

Yeah, but don't chickens have two breasts?

So, profit!

How the **** is this a thread, If it says made of 100% chicken breast then it's 100% chicken breast. If it says made with 100% chicken breast then part of it is 100% chicken breast.

If I make a bowl of cornflakes then it's made with 100% cornflakes and some milk.

A 100% means everything is chicken breast?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

This is what was in the chicken breast:

Ingredient Declaration
    Chicken Breast (51%)

Flour (Wheat, Maize, Rice)

Water

Rapeseed Oil

Breadcrumb (Wheat Flour, Water, Yeast, Salt)

Wheat Starch

Salt

Palm Oil

Cornflour

Raising Agents (E450, E500)#

Spices

Natural Colour (Curcumin)

Dextrose

Sunflower Oil

Pepper Extract

Vegetable Stock (Salt, Dextrose, Onion, Carrot, Shallots, Leek, Tomato, Paprika)

Garlic Powder

Onion Powder

#E450 and E500 are the basic ingredients of Baking Powder, which is used to make the batter light and crispy

They are breaded chicken.. mystery solved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

BirdsEye. 2 crispy chicken.

No. Just stop now. Stop. It's yokes with chicken in. 51% chicken. The rest is the yokes.

Advertisement