Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends on boards - have they transcended this?

Options
  • 03-04-2015 12:17am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have you made any friends on boards who have made a difference in your life?

Or have you ever chatted to someone on boards whom you've decided to help out?

Do you think other posters where you are a regular poster see you as being good or bad?

Do you ever learn anything from boards?

Or do you just see boards as a place for mindless drivel?

For me, boards is all of the above

I've made and lost friends, and was thinking about that this week, once I got into real world contact, I stopped it, but the person I am thinking about recently liked my linkedin status, so I might ping them asking to meet up for a coffee.

I've helped out a few people with advice, and been astounded with how people are and how ignorant (as in unknowing) about information that to me is basic IRL other posters have helped me and vice versa

I do despise some posters but have never blocked them as I am curious as to their logic

I've learned loads from boards, I travel a lot and when I'm abroad I go straight to AH for a synopsis of the news, but I've a personal change coming up that without the accomodation forum I'd not be prepared for.

And god knows I post plenty of endless drivel in the interview thread, but overall, boards for me is like a soother, it's comforting, and no matter where in the world I'm in, it's very Irish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Boards introduced me to my fiancée, and is the reason I've a family :)

I've made a number of friends that I'd meet on occasion in the real world.

I got my first professional job through it :)

I'd like to think I helped quite a few people too, I do try to help when I see topics i'm confident about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No.

I don't mix online and real life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Met my girlfriend cos of boards ;)

Got quite a few very awesome friends cos of boards too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH Boards has been part of my life now for nearly twenty years if you count the Quake scene before boards officially came into existence. In that time I have made a good number of friends, some of whom are quite close. I've been to Boardsie weddings, a number were at mine. I have made friends and fallen out with a few. I have met and mixed with people who I never would have interacted with if it wasn't for Boards.

I have learnt a lot on boards and am still being educated here on a daily basis.

Boards is part of my life and even though at times I waste a lot of time here I believe the positives heavily outweigh the negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I've made some lifelong friends here :)

I'm not on facebook etc so here is it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I made one friend via The Thunderdome of all places!

Turned out she was a neighbour of mine, well she's about ten miles away, but in Mayo that's practically next door!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RedXIV wrote: »
    Boards introduced me to my fiancée,

I met my current OH through boards (he's no longer a member) and we are toghether over six years

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I made one friend via The Thunderdome of all places!

Turned out she was a neighbour of mine, well she's about ten miles away, but in Mayo that's practically next door!!

Mayo you say? Ten miles you say? Shure she was looking in your windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

I've never met Seamus, but would you believe he gave me a few Tips for Geography for my leaving cert which I aced :)
    I believe I promised him a pint in return which never came about, cheap students :o:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I've gotten to know a bunch of people from Boards outside of Boards over the years - and have met them or am friends with them on Facebook or contact them through other means besides Boards. I haven't made any friends in the sense of people I regularly hang out with though, much of which is to do with geography. Only gotten to know two people (in quite recent times) from the same area I live in, via Boards.
    I have lost Boards pals too or a quite close friendship has fizzled out (but not ended) - some of it down to me, some of it down to them, some of it down to both of us, some of it down to nobody... just the natural way sometimes. Online friendships can be prone to drifting apart, but that doesn't necessarily make them less valid than "real-life" friendships and I do miss some of them, but... that's just the way things can go.

Yeah I've helped a few people out in whatever small way I can.

I've been on Boards for years and years (a few accounts) and people have viewed me positively and negatively. I have been a highly opinionated and argumentative poster but I'm growing out of that - not comfortable with it any more.

I definitely learn from Boards - some highly informed and articulate people here.

Yes it's also a place for mindless drivel (well AH specifically) and that's not always a bad thing. :D

I have left numerous times with the intention of not coming back, but have always come back and now I'm definitely here to stay - Boards has annoyed me at times (and not all of it, just certain corners) but comparing it to any other discussion platform, it's actually far superior in terms of quality of posts and well-thought-out views and bullsh1t spotting. Some absolutely great people too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I remain hopeful of getting laid thanks to boards. Im willing to have sex with any female on boards aged 16-29 preferably no larger than a size 10. Pm me if interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

All I see are words. No people, no faces, just words.

Do you know what annoys me/ makes me sad? When someone you're friends with just closes their account without saying goodbye :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Stheno wrote: »
    Mayo you say? Ten miles you say? Shure she was looking in your windows!

Definitely some looking through windows went on right enough.....

Chucken wrote: »
    Do you know what annoys me/ makes me sad? When someone you're friends with just closes their account without saying goodbye :(
    Ah they'll be back. :)

Ah they'll be back. :)

:o Will they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

My best friend in the whole wide world lives in boards. I found her in here :)
    Sometimes she gets out and we go on adventures. So we do.

All faintly Armin Meiwes-esque.

libelula wrote: »
    My best friend in the whole wide world lives in boards. I found her in here :)
    Sometimes she gets out and we go on adventures. So we do.
    That's really cool.

All faintly Armin Meiwes-esque.
    Bit extreme but I lolled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

Chucken wrote: »
    :o Will they?

They will be back with new accounts they will :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

efb wrote: »
    No.

I don't mix online and real life

Pretty much the same here!

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Pretty much the same here!
    I was like that for years - staunchly so. Then I became Facebook friends with one person, eventually another, and then I didn't think about it anymore, then went to beers etc.
    But having been there I can totally understand your perspective too.

I was like that for years - staunchly so. Then I became Facebook friends with one person, eventually another, and then I didn't think about it anymore, then went to beers etc.
    But having been there I can totally understand your perspective too.

Well I'm here a good while now and it works for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

I like to keep things separate myself I am not ready for commitment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Tugboats wrote: »
    I remain hopeful of getting laid thanks to boards. Im willing to have sex with any female on boards aged 16-29 preferably no larger than a size 10. Pm me if interested

There's no easy way to break this to ya, but with that kind of desperation, I'm guessing you'll be 'tugging' your boat for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I must have about 70 odd friends from here.

Ummmm, there's bill......mike....ummm pete

Toby?

Yes toby!

:(

Mint Aero wrote: »
    I must have about 70 odd friends from here.

Ummmm, there's bill......mike....ummm pete

Toby?

Yes toby!

:(

No surprises they're odd surprised there is 70 though...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'd be more of a regular poster in the football betting forum. So I try and help people there and people have helped me there. Never met anybody off boards would if the regulars in the football betting forum ever went for pints I'd go. The Soccer forum... not so much :pac:

• Advertisement

I'd be more of a regular poster in the football betting forum. So I try and help people there and people have helped me there. Never met anybody off boards would if the regulars in the football betting forum ever went for pints I'd go. The Soccer forum... not so much :pac:

the last people I'd drink with- v aggressive (SF)

Advertisement