Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the average Leaving Cert points so low?

Options
  • 02-04-2015 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I just find it hard to believe that 300 points is the average. I mean I attend a private school in Dublin and so do almost all my friends so I'm probably in a bubble but I can't imagine that just going to a different school can make that much of a difference...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

In the school I went to 300 points would be an excellent result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 duffmanrox

In the school I went to 300 points would be an excellent result.

really? Was your school particularly bad and can ask whereabouts in the country is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Almen11

The average result in my school last year was 270!

Almen11 wrote: »
    The average result in my school last year was 270!

You see, I just find that hard to believe! Haha whereabouts was your school can I ask?

duffmanrox wrote: »
    You see, I just find that hard to believe! Haha whereabouts was your school can I ask?
    Believe me so did I! Westmeath!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This is going back a bit but I'm fairly sure my mighty 360 got me into the top 20 of my year. I only needed 320 to get my first choice so the ambition to study too much was never there. Our school was fairly middle of the road, I could imagine a lot of other schools being substantially worse.

Believe me so did I! Westmeath!

Why do you think was the case? Lack of motivation or just lesser intelligence or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Why do you think was the case? Lack of motivation or just lesser intelligence or something?

Ha lesser intelligence .

Let me guess, your in a pretty nice area of Dublin no?

Or mummy and daddy are rich

I'm not that sure to be really honest, but I don't think the year had a great attitude towards the leaving cert! Like there were people still going out 2 weeks before the leaving!something like 20 repeated

tastyt wrote: »
    Ha lesser intelligence .

Let me guess, your in a pretty nice area of Dublin no?

Or mummy and daddy are rich
    .....No..... haha Kildare actually. Then why is the reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You can only get 700 points if you do all higher level subjects. Once you do a few a pass level the maximum points you can get drop off dramatically. In my leaving year 12 years ago only 5 students could manage higher level maths out of 120 students. That's what it comes down to really.

I'm not that sure to be really honest, but I don't think the year had a great attitude towards the leaving cert! Like there were people still going out 2 weeks before the leaving!something like 20 repeated

Jaysus... Just a completely different outlook I guess. For a lot of us if we get less than 500 we are shamed by our family haha

You can only get 700 point if you do all higher level subjects. Once you do a few a pass level the maximum points you can get drop off dramatically.

No it's 625 haha and true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Um the highest you can achieve is 625. You only count you top 6 subjects....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

LC is graded on a bell curve so would expect the average to be at 50%. Thats a C3 and around 50 points I think? It's been awhile.

Then most courses in the universities probably require somewhere in the region of 300-500 points so if anyone else was like me they aimed for the points they needed.

I would have expected the average to be under 400 anyway.

Also saying that people who achieve 300 points are of "a lesser intelligence" is quite rude to be honest. Not everyone is suited to the education system. Not everyone can rote learn.

Also saying that people who achieve 300 points are of "a lesser intelligence" is quite rude to be honest. Not everyone is suited to the education system. Not everyone can rote learn.

It's kinda the truth though...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It only means you are good at the leaving cert. It's a rat/point race really. It's like a high IQ test, just means you are good at that type of test but not overall intelligence. There are some very intelligent and lazy people I went to school with, failed exams left and right all through secondary and never did any homework, just no interest overall but now have science masters from Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I think he's trolling Spartacus, or else his head is shoved so far up his own are he can't see the bigger picture.

"Lesser intelligence"

I thought the hightest points by percentage was 400, at like 4.2% of candidates. Deleted the source I had yesterday actually :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It's kinda the truth though...

ah the folly of youth. The LC in reality is a load of balls - you'll appreciate this when you're older. It's an exercise in who can remember the best, not who is the most intelligent.

• Advertisement

Jaysus... Just a completely different outlook I guess. For a lot of us if we get less than 500 we are shamed by our family haha

Well I would hate to be apart of your family then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Infracted

I went to a private grind school in 6th year. All I can say is I had a good laugh hearing the stories of distraught parents and students on getting their results. The bubble in private schools is ridiculous. I can still remember a fella asking me what it was like to attend an average school with "knackers". OP I suggest you try and network outside your circle the second you get to college.

The average in most private school is around 400-410 IIRC

Infracted wrote: »
    I went to a private grind school in 6th year. All I can say is I had a good laugh hearing the stories of distraught parents and students on getting their results. The bubble in private schools is ridiculous. I can still remember a fella asking me what it was like to attend an average school with "knackers". OP I suggest you try and network outside your circle the second you get to college.

Ah but it's a beautiful ignorant bubble!

Ignorance is not something to be proud of.. :/

Ignorance is not something to be proud of.. :/

I know haha I was being sarcastic

.....No..... haha Kildare actually. Then why is the reason?

Then why is the reason?

Really hoping your not banking on those honours English points.

really? Was your school particularly bad and can ask whereabouts in the country is this?

No, the school I went to gets better results than any other local schools. I think the determining factor is that most of us had lives.

tastyt wrote: »
    Then why is the reason?

Really hoping your not banking on those honours English points.

That actually does make sense and I've already done my LC and got an A1 in English so good man.

That actually does make sense and I've already done my LC and got an A1 in English so good man.

Doubtful, good man.

• Advertisement

Infracted wrote: »

The average in most private school is around 400-410 IIRC

Haha I couldn't imagine going to a private school, I was lucky I wasn't expelled from mine! OP wouldn't survive in the schools we went to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement