Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for speed or distance?

Options
  • 01-04-2015 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

As part of a regular (weekly) workout class I do, now that the evenings have a stretch on them, we're being asked to do a lap or 2 of the carpark where the class is on. It's not a huge space - the regulars run a lap handily enough in about 3-4 mins maybe, so we're not talking multi storey here.

Thing is I'm not a runner (yet?) so I tend to still be on my first lap when the leaders are coming around for their second. I don't care about being lapped -- if I cared what people thought of me, I probably wouldn't be in this class in the first place :) -- but I'm trying to figure out whether I should run as fast as I can manage and just stop (and walk) when my stamina gives out, or run at a comfortable (slow) pace that I can finish both laps. I suspect doing both laps even when it takes twice as long as everybody else is the goal, but I thought I'd check.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

corblimey wrote: »
    As part of a regular (weekly) workout class I do, now that the evenings have a stretch on them, we're being asked to do a lap or 2 of the carpark where the class is on. It's not a huge space - the regulars run a lap handily enough in about 3-4 mins maybe, so we're not talking multi storey here.

Thing is I'm not a runner (yet?) so I tend to still be on my first lap when the leaders are coming around for their second. I don't care about being lapped -- if I cared what people thought of me, I probably wouldn't be in this class in the first place :) -- but I'm trying to figure out whether I should run as fast as I can manage and just stop (and walk) when my stamina gives out, or run at a comfortable (slow) pace that I can finish both laps. I suspect doing both laps even when it takes twice as long as everybody else is the goal, but I thought I'd check.

Depends what you want out of it but it sounds like going at whatever speed it is that means you can do it in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Depends what you want out of it but it sounds like going at whatever speed it is that means you can do it in one go.

This. Get fit enough to run It in one go and then your speed will steadily improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

This. Get fit enough to run It in one go and then your speed will steadily improve.

It gives you a feel for the pace you can run it at so as time goes on, you can slowly increase that as you get fitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If you were starting out running I'd advise that you focus on running for time first then speed and you will find distance follows like day after night.

Run at your comfortable pace for 3/4/5 minutes at a time and gradually build up from there until you can run.

I get the sense that the two laps are part of a bootcamp type class? Is it the warmup or a sprint interval? If it is a 10 min warmup or a recovery in the middle of a workout, then that is what it should be and you should be running gently into the session increasing effort gradually as the muscles warm up to the task.

If they are sprint intervals or efforts to raise your heart rate before the next circuit you should be running them as hard as you can at a pace you can sustain over the duration.

Maybe easier asking the instructor what you are supposed to do.

Advertisement