Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord in arrears

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

???.
    Residential tenancies Act 2004.

“landlord” means the person for the time being entitled to receive (otherwise than as agent for another person) the rent paid in respect of a dwelling by the tenant thereof and, where the context so admits, includes a person who has ceased to be so entitled by reason of the termination of the tenancy;

The receiver does not receive the rent as agent for the landlord since the landlord has no control over him. If the landlord asks for the rent and is told he is not entitled to it, then some other person must be the landlord.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0027/sec0108.html#sec108

You can't read one piece of legislation in isolation and without reference to common law and equity. Basically that's a more complex way of stating exactly what The_Morrigan has above.

I'm not trying to provide legal advice simply have the discussion, perhaps this is best kept to the Legal Discussions forum as people are probably more likely to go off half cocked here as it's, understandably, an emotive time when one is potentially losing their home.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You are confusing a receiver with a liquidator. A receiver has no contract with the tenant at all

Sorry to correct but this one may confuse anyone reading the thread. Generally there is no provision for appointment of a liquidator in these situations. A receiver would have quite a bit of contact with the tenant as they take over everything to do with collection or rent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

contRact

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    contRact

Ah I see, that however flows from the agency relationship.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Ah I see, that however flows from the agency relationship.

MA please don't get into a discussion on agency law - I don't think anyone needs that, I'm already having flashbacks to lectures & exams here!

• Advertisement

MA please don't get into a discussion on agency law - I don't think anyone needs that, I'm already having flashbacks to lectures & exams here!

My apologies, it's an interesting topic IMO as it's a legislative cock up that needs to be address, but in fairness no one saw coming. You're right though here is not the place for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

In a situation like this where keys, parking etc are being denied by the management company, would the tenant have grounds to terminate the lease early and move?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

BeatNikDub wrote: »
    I have to say on this that the receivers have been great. They have been helpful, communicative, understanding and dare I say it human. .

It's easy to be smiley and friendly, but if they paid the service charge you wouldn't have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jd wrote: »
    It's easy to be smiley and friendly, but if they paid the service charge you wouldn't have a problem.
    I'm pretty sure that's the landlord obligations?
    however the apartment is in receivership to be sold
    The deposit is with the landlord, so remember this when you're moving out, as you'll be down money. You may try getting this from the landlord before you move out, however?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

the_syco wrote: »

Sure, but he probably doesn't have any money and the receiver is getting the rent.

OMCs have to play hardball and keep on top of receivers otherwise they'll be f*cked over.

• Advertisement

jd wrote: »
    Sure, but he probably doesn't have any money and the receiver is getting the rent.
    Yes and yes. The OP should check if any maintenance fees are being paid, as I doubt it. And if not, the OP should negotiate an early release from the lease.

From past threads, the OP will not get a deposit from the receivers, so I wonder will a PTRB case against the landlord for non-return of the deposit when the OP leaves actually get them anything, as the deposit often seems to turn into a "pass the buck" game, where the only loser is the OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

the_syco wrote: »

The deposit is with the landlord, so remember this when you're moving out, as you'll be down money. You may try getting this from the landlord before you move out, however?

Actually, we have it in writing from the receiver that the bank will now honour our deposit.

Actually, we have it in writing from the receiver that the bank will now honour our deposit.
    That's very cool. Hope it's something that more banks decide to do; shall make moving on a lot easier for many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Indeed, we didn't expect it tbh and although our landlord had said she would verbally she hasn't followed through with anything, therefore we know she just isn't a position to and although means well it is just too risky to depend on it.
    We agreed to allow valuers in and be flexible with viewings for a few things in return and it all worked out for each party then.

Advertisement