Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a TV License?

Options
  • 01-04-2015 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey everyone

I received a notice in the door yesterday at my new address from the TV License inspector in the area saying they called to the house but nobody was home.

They also ticked a box saying they saw an aerial/dish (there is none on the front of the house), but an old dish out the back from previous owners which can't even be seen from the front of the house.

We also don't have the correct aerial for Saorview so he definitely didn't see that.

Anyway, we have a TV in the house and just have an Apple TV hooked up and only use it for Netflix in the evening as we are out of the house working most of the day.

Since we don't use RTE's services or watch TV channels do we need to have a TV License?

€180 a year seems like a rip off for just watching Netflix!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

You do

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭coolkidirish

You do

Ok thanks, and what is the reason? Is it because I still own a TV, or because I watch Netflix, or what is the reasoning behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hey everyone

Anyway, we have a TV in the house and just have an Apple TV hooked up and only use it for Netflix in the evening as we are out of the house working most of the day.

Once you have a device able to receive TV you have to pay it regardless of what you watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Do I need a TV License?

Anyway, we have a TV in the house a!

Yes. Doesn't matter what you do with it. If you do not wish to be liable then get rid of the TV and get a monitor.

Ok perfect, thanks for the responses. Talk about a rip off! I had one last year but since have removed our SKY subscription as we don't watch the TV due to working.

Thanks anyway guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Once you have a device able to receive TV you have to pay it regardless of what you watch.

And actually what is going to happen is the are changing it from "TV" license to "communications" license soon enough..

Meaning the wi-fi you use for streaming etc. is subject to it and so you* need to have one.

*I dont pay, but i'm just saying technically you do :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Hey everyone...

it's €180 for owning a TV

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    And actually what is going to happen is the are changing it from "TV" license to "communications" license soon enough..

Meaning the wi-fi you use for streaming etc. is subject to it and so you* need to have one.

*I dont pay, but i'm just saying technically you do :-)

They have been saying that for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

What if you didn't have any aerials installed and only ever used your tv to play Playstation? Can they somehow know when there's a tv in your house?

What if you didn't have any aerials installed and only ever used your tv to play Playstation? Can they somehow know when there's a tv in your house?

They assume by default that everyone has one and will request that you make a statement specifically saying that you do not possess a TV.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Was your name on the notice?

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Was your name on the notice?

Irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

newbie2 wrote: »
    it's €180 for owning a TV

Yeah TV tax....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Hey everyone

I received a notice in the door yesterday at my new address from the TV License inspector in the area saying they called to the house but nobody was home.

They also ticked a box saying they saw an aerial/dish (there is none on the front of the house), but an old dish out the back from previous owners which can't even be seen from the front of the house.

We also don't have the correct aerial for Saorview so he definitely didn't see that.

Since we don't use RTE's services or watch TV channels do we need to have a TV License?

The key is: do you have equipment that is capable of or was originally designed for receiving TV signal?

In you case the answer is yes (even if the TV was broken or was not capable ore receiving digital signal you would have to pay).

If you don't need a very large display, replace the TV by a large Full HD computer monitor and no need for a TV license anymore. This is what I have - told TV license inspector I had no TV and he was find with it.

Maximum size you will find is probably 32" and it will cost a bit more that a similar sized TV, but the cost will be recovered within a year with the saving on the TV license.

Bob24 wrote: »
    The key is: do you have equipment that is capable of or was originally designed for receiving TV signal?

In you case the answer is yes (even if the TV was broken or was not capable ore receiving digital signal you would have to pay).

If you don't need a very large display, replace the TV by a large Full HD computer monitor and no need for a TV license anymore. This is what I have - told TV license inspector I had no TV and he was find with it.

Maximum size you will find is probably 32" and it will cost a bit more that a similar sized TV, but the cost will be recovered within a year with the saving on the TV license.

Great bit of information, I might look into doing that in that case.

Did he need to come in to prove it or have you heard anything since?

I was reading online about having to send a registered letter away to let them know you don't have a TV anymore?

Did he need to come in to prove it or have you heard anything since?

In this particular case I was home when he first came for inspection, so I was off the hook straight away and didn't need to get un-registered. Another inspector came recently (maybe 2 years after the first one) and didn't even bother coming up (I live in an apartment - he asked through the intercom and when I said I still don't have a TV he was fine).
    I was reading online about having to send a registered letter away to let them know you don't have a TV anymore?

Yes at a previous place I lived in there was a TV we never used (no aerial and no cable subscription). The inspector did not take any of it and marked us as having a TV (it was annoying but fair enough as it is the law). I can't remember whether we had to pay the licence for one year or not, but anyway we got rid of the TV and the process to stop paying was to call the TV license office at AnPost who sent a form to return to them and where we declared there was no TV at our address. This was 7 or 8 years ago - maybe nowadays it can be done online.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You can pay your TV License by direct debit (€13.33 a month). Takes the sting out of it.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/More+from+An+Post/TV+Licence/TV+Licence+Direct+Debit.htm

Great bit of information, I might look into doing that in that case.

And I forgot to mention - make sure you get a monitor that does not have a built-in TV tuner, and supports audio signal through HDMI and either has built in speakers or an analog audio jack you can connect speakers to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MoonCalhoon

I wonder does anyone know how the licence inspector gets people's personal details. A notice arrived today addressed to my other half, even though my name is on the lease and all the utilities. Any other letters we've received previously were addressed to "the occupier", so this seems a bit fishy to me. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I wonder does anyone know how the licence inspector gets people's personal details. A notice arrived today addressed to my other half, even though my name is on the lease and all the utilities. Any other letters we've received previously were addressed to "the occupier", so this seems a bit fishy to me. Any ideas?

An Post. The same people who have your name and address so they can deliver your mail are also the people providing the TV license service. Before, everyone used to get "to the occupant" letters. Now they have your name.....because they have everyones name and address in a database for the mail and now that database is being used to sent out tv license letters.

Like most things in Ireland, they are actually breaking the law by doing this but nobody has challenged them on it yet so it continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 MoonCalhoon

Kirby wrote: »
    An Post. The same people who have your name and address so they can deliver your mail are also the people providing the TV license service. Before, everyone used to get "to the occupant" letters. Now they have your name.....because they have everyones name and address in a database.

Like most things in Ireland, they are actually breaking the law by doing this but nobody has challenged them on it yet so it continues.

Yeah, I thought that might have been it, but it's such an obvious breach of data protection legislation that I couldn't credit it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Money changed hands. The database is worth a good amount of money and that trumps legislation. Believe me, I've had this argument from both an ethical and legal standpoint with my friends who work in An post. It's simply about the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Case in Galway last year where the Judge threw out a case against a guy who had an old TV but only watched DVD's on it. Trying to find the story. You'd have to be careful though using this as a defence as some Judges are right bastards and would fine you the maximum on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Actually, you don't need one at all. I've never paid for one, and I have four TVs. Legally, you have the right to tell them to, "F*ck off".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Actually, you don't need one at all. I've never paid for one, and I have four TVs. Legally, you have the right to tell them to, "F*ck off".

Go on, what law allows you to tell them that?

testicle wrote: »
    Go on, what law allows you to tell them that?
    You are allowed to say whatever you like to some moron who knocks at your door, legally.

Legally, you can tell him your dog is actually in charge of the premises, and he'll have to setup a meeting with him.

Legally.

You are allowed to say whatever you like to some moron who knocks at your door, legally.

Legally, you can tell him your dog is actually in charge of the premises, and he'll have to setup a meeting with him.

Legally.

Yes you can tell him whatever you like. But it doesn't make you less legally liable for the licence or less of a parasite if you don't pay for it.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes you can tell him whatever you like. But it doesn't make you less legally liable for the licence or less of a parasite if you don't pay for it.
    I'm a parasite for not wanting to keep RTE in business? Calm down, will you. I don't pay any "tax" that is easily avoidable, that I never get in trouble for not paying, and nothing bad at all has ever happened to me in not paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

I'm a parasite for not wanting to keep RTE in business? Calm down, will you. I don't pay any "tax" that is easily avoidable, that I never get in trouble for not paying, and nothing bad at all has ever happened to me in not paying.

Oh that's ok then. The rest of us eejits will just keep looking after you for free (to you)

• Advertisement

engol wrote: »
    Oh that's ok then. The rest of us eejits will just keep looking after you for free (to you)
    Cheers.

Advertisement