Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Bikes 2015

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How hard was fitting the kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

If you`ve a decent set of bike spanners not hard at all.

There`s plenty of YouTube videos that talk you through it,

here---> https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=youtube+bbs02+install&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Xh1TV8GjGcTU8gf8uJzwDA

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭iognaid

Very interesting and informative. The Bofang seems to be the way to go.
    Does this motor have pedestrian throttle assist? I would need this because the bike is kept in a basement, and it's uphill to get to road level.
    With the mid drive motor is it necessary to fit any reinforcing plates to the rear wheel receiver, or the motor mounting?
    All advice appreciated.

It does have what is called a `walk mode` if you hold one of the buttons down.
    No reinforcing is needed just make sure of your bottom bracket size before you buy.
    Also dependent on where you live front suspension forks and disc brakes are a good idea.

You could look at the front or rear hub motor conversions as well if you`re going for a kit, they`re not usually as expensive, though it`s said they're not as good at hill climbing.
    There`s plenty of options in ebikes now, only thing i`d say is get a good battery with as high an Ah as possible, at least 13Ah, it will climb better and go further.

What sort of range are you getting from that kit?

• Advertisement

Ah, range?!!

How fit are you, the more you put into the pedals the further you`ll go.

What do you weigh? Keep everything as light as possible

Is your part of the country hilly or flat etc, etc...

You should be looking at 48kms/30miles and upwards with a decent battery.

Yeah thats what I was thinking, battery power seems to have been stagnant on them for the last 5+ years, 48 km isnt much on a roadbike, good for a commuter though if you didnt want to get sweaty before work.

The Alfine 8 IGH came from Taylor Wheels in Germany, it was already built up in one of their wheels. Install was straightforward, remove the existing wheel, chain and derailleur and set the new wheel in, screw on a tensioner, adjust the cable and away we go..

16aw8i0.jpg

Gear change is smoother, you don`t get caught out at junctions in the wrong gear, just clik down to a low one, thats it. It`s silent, the chain line never moves and you could also fit a stronger single-speed one.

One unknown is how reliable will it be - time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

loughside wrote: »
    The Alfine 8 IGH...
    Ok, but just to clarify; there is no electric motor in it? Its just a hub gear changing system like the old Sturmey Archer ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

recedite wrote: »
    Ok, but just to clarify; there is no electric motor in it? Its just a hub gear changing system like the old Sturmey Archer ones?

Correct more or less

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    like the old Sturmey Archer ones?

Yea i remember those, had an old three speed one, agricultural, prone to missing gears totally.
    The Alfine is a step up from the derailleur setup i had, now you can change pretty much any time under moderate load from the mid-drive, only time is in the middle of a hill where a pause on the pedals does the trick, clik-clik..

Advertisement