Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weak back

Options
  • 01-04-2015 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

I find core work so difficult because I always get pain in my lower back, technique is fine but I dont know is it my back that is undertrained compared to my abs or is it an underlying issue? Am going to attempt yoga and stretching , I would appreciate any advice

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What core work are you doing?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do you have a sedentary job?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Oryx wrote: »
    Do you have a sedentary job?

Yes I am in front of a computer most of the time but try to get up and stretch at least every hour and I walk 45 mins most lunch breaks. Core work I do is typically planks, incline situps, leg raises (on bench and on ground), straight leg sit ups, scissor kicks, bicycle and back extension holding 5kg plate.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Try things like lunges and squats to get your glutes working. A seated job makes them very weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Try things like lunges and squats to get your glutes working. A seated job makes them very weak.

Would this be contributing to back pain/tightness?

• Advertisement

Absolutely. Work on your glutes and hamstring strength and Hip mobility work.

Drop the various sit-ups and stick to planks. If you can hold a plank for 2 minutes, add difficulty. Sit-ups are terrible for your back.

they/them/theirs

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yup.

If there's an issue with your glutes, there can be a knock on effect on your lower back and/or lower back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

One thing though - if you're going to do squats, make sure you are doing them right. Done wrong they will make your back worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MetHerInSolas

Try pilates/yoga, made a big difference to my back and I sit at a PC all day and I'm 6 4".

2 pt-box is a good exercise for your back.

• Advertisement

Try pilates/yoga, made a big difference to my back and I sit at a PC all day and I'm 6 4".

2 pt-box is a good exercise for your back.

Pilates is great for core issues alright.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement