Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-28's door policies - are they legal?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

delahuntv wrote: »
    Basically if you look at reality away from the legal stuff, does someone in their thirties want to listen to the same music as someone who is 18. Likewise, someone who is 18 will want to be surrounded by people in their thirties?

It allows for pubs/clubs to decide on the market they wish to target on age grounds only and once they apply the limit to all people, then its allowed. They also have to display the policy in a clear manner.

The problem there is that do a certain sections of white people want blacks in the bar? Do a certain section of men want women in the bar? Maybe I'm a christian bar keep that wants to exclude someone on the grounds they are gay?

One can allow people to vote with their feet by playing decent music and catering to the over 30s but simply not letting them in the door because of their age, personally I don't actually have an issue with it, it's apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned in relation to the above examples, but legally I'm not so sure anymore.

Intifada wrote: »
    Out of interest, what is the difference legally between saying no Under 21s and No Blacks? I imagine you wouldn't get away with the second one, but plenty of places do with the first.

There is a section relating to under 21s (but over 18s) having to provide ID. I was wondering if that was used somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

There is a section relating to under 21s (but over 18s) having to provide ID. I was wondering if that was used somehow.
    That's fair enough, although it's a pretty stupid rule anyway because a bouncer could ask a 30 year old for ID and claim they thought they "looked under 21".

In fact I suppose there is a catch all excuse there for them, as they can simply say they felt the person was intoxicated at point of entry so refused them. At the end of the day nobody is ever going to take the word of somebody out enjoying themselves over a bouncer.

Intifada wrote: »
    That's fair enough, although it's a pretty stupid rule anyway because a bouncer could ask a 30 year old for ID and claim they thought they "looked under 21".

In fact I suppose there is a catch all excuse there for them, as they can simply say they felt the person was intoxicated at point of entry so refused them. At the end of the day nobody is ever going to take the word of somebody out enjoying themselves over a bouncer.

Very good point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

So by the statute it appears you can refuse service to over 18s but you can't necessarily refuse them entry. What then about venues "reserving the right to refuse admission". I'm presuming that doesn't cover refusal on the basis of age as that would be deemed discriminatory.

I feel the above poster is right in that ultimately any action would be destined to fail as it's a bouncer's word against a reveler's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement