Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go into Halfords to change a bulb... end up with a broken car!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I still cant see how changing a bulb could affect any of that

She could have damaged the battery or shorted out any number of the car electronics by putting a spanner across the 2 terminals by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

She could have damaged the battery or shorted out any number of the car electronics by putting a spanner across the 2 terminals by mistake.

why would she have a spanner to change a bulb?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

All the contacts for the bulb would be covered, normally the bulb goes into the holder and clipped in and then the connectors are fitted afterwards. this should nor lead to any shorting of any kind esp if the light switch is off at the dash. Injectors would be a fuel pump problem, dodgy fuel etc. might not have shown up until you stopped the engine and tried to restart

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

why would she have a spanner to change a bulb?

To change a bulb in the front lamp units on a Megane III for instance you need either a 10 spanner or socket (it may also take a screwdriver in the top of the bolt, I cant remember off hand). Lots of cars require different things to change bulbs. On the Scenic the battery cover has to be taken off as already discussed. Maybe she had a metal toolbox and sat it on top of the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

To change a bulb in the front lamp units on a Megane III for instance you need either a 10 spanner or socket (it may also take a screwdriver in the top of the bolt, I cant remember off hand). Lots of cars require different things to change bulbs. On the Scenic the battery cover has to be taken off as already discussed. Maybe she had a metal toolbox and sat it on top of the battery?

if she sat a metal toolbox on top of the battery and it touched both terminals the OP would have bigger problems. Like how to remove the metal box that is now arc welded to the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The fault that the op's car is showing is not a fault with the injectors as such. That warning covers lots of things. While it could be an injector, it could also be lots of other things like a sensor, a coil , voltage issue etc.

Mine shows all sorts of weird errors when the voltage is low and it also won't start.

Maybe when testing it she was turning the lights on and off and drained the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mine shows all sorts of weird errors when the voltage is low and it also won't start.

Maybe when testing it she was turning the lights on and off and drained the battery.

You could turn the lights on and off for an hour and a good battery will still be able to start the car, the only way this would be an issue is if the battery was already totally screwed.

Not to mention a flat battery does not put that fault on the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Renault Scenic is the among the worst lemons of cars on the market. Just looking at it sideways could cause all manner of electrical and engine management problems. It could be something bizarre they did in Halfords, but its more likely a separate fuel rail problem which is as common as muck in those cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You could turn the lights on and off for an hour and a good battery will still be able to start the car, the only way this would be an issue is if the battery was already totally screwed.

Not to mention a flat battery does not put that fault on the dash.

It sure does.

My own Volvo, low battery voltage can cause the dash to light up like a Christmas tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

MOD: OK this has run the consumer course. The OP's car is back to normal. Feel free to continue the technical discussion and anecdotes in Motors. I've deleted another batch of off topic posts.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement