Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand protection

Options
  • 30-03-2015 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I am not sure if I am posting on the right forum so mods feel free to move!

I have always had weak wrists but after I tried my first kick boxing class last week my left hand was in agony. The pain started in the little finger and now all my joints are a bit swollen. I am on some meds which can make this happen.

Not looking for medical advise, more looking for anyones hints and tips on how to protect my hand and wrist in the gloves while still being able to keep mobility for the rest of the class when we haven't got gloves on. Got another class tonight and I really don't want to irritate it again

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Are you hitting things? Did the teach you how to wrap your hands?!?!?!?

If they're making you hit things and not showing you how to wrap up under your gloves it's madness in my opinion.

Something like this would help A LOT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kgVnNAHLLM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Hanley wrote: »
    Are you hitting things? Did the teach you how to wrap your hands?!?!?!?

If they're making you hit things and not showing you how to wrap up under your gloves it's madness in my opinion.

Something like this would help A LOT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kgVnNAHLLM

Yeah bags... No one seems to have wraps, this looks like exactly what I need. I even had blood blisters between my pinky and ring. Do you by any chance know the cheapest place to buy these in Dublin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

shalalala wrote: »
    Yeah bags... No one seems to have wraps, this looks like exactly what I need. I even had blood blisters between my pinky and ring. Do you by any chance know the cheapest place to buy these in Dublin?

This is the first place that springs to mind; http://mullensports.com/

They're so cheap anyway that you'd be hauling ass around to save a euro or two. Your time's worth more than that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

You are a star! Will report back. Hopefully I will be able to write my name at the end of class this week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

+1 for hand wraps.

Most likely, poor technique is the main issue here. Like you wrist collapsing. Wraps will help you keep the correct alignment in your wrist when punching. It should feel much better from the get go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 bossdga

+1 for hand wraps.

Also make sure If that you don't bend your wrist during contact, injury to your wrist can occur otherwise.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bossdga

+1 for hand wraps.

Also make sure that you don't bend your wrist during contact, injury to your wrist can occur otherwise.

Cheers

Advertisement