Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mri second opinion

Options
  • 30-03-2015 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Can I get a second opinion anywhere in Dublin on the reading of my mri scans of my knee? My doctor has referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon based on the scanning radiologist's report, but I'm wondering if the surgeon examines and reads my mri images himself or does he base his surgical decisions on the mri report provided. I don't have any basis to distrust the original report, but I would like to be sure it is an accurate diagnosis before I go along the lines of surgery. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

tivvo wrote: »
    Can I get a second opinion anywhere in Dublin on the reading of my mri scans of my knee? My doctor has referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon based on the scanning radiologist's report, but I'm wondering if the surgeon examines and reads my mri images himself or does he base his surgical decisions on the mri report provided. I don't have any basis to distrust the original report, but I would like to be sure it is an accurate diagnosis before I go along the lines of surgery. Thanks

I had knee surgery in Feb just gone. Met the surgeon in Jan after I had MRI done, not sure he even read the radiologist's report, put the scans up on screen and scrolled through himself for a good while having a good look to see what was wrong etc. In my case it was a very minor issue that didn't show up on MRI but was quite obvious when he operated (plica). Same surgeon previously saw me for another issue, read the MRI on screen and advised not to have op that time as it would probably heal without surgery. Basically, don't mind the MRI report, the surgeon will read the scans himself and base decision on that. Get a good surgeon and trust him/her

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tivvo

Thanks Zzippy! That's the answer I was hoping for. I'm gonna do a bit of research on the surgeon I've been referred to and go from there ;) Cheers

Advertisement